Politics Gen XYZ

4,980 posts in this topic

On 21/10/2021, 11:37:46, keith2011 said:

Love the name I never realised he was such a satirical comedian!

Quote:-

Former US President Donald Trump has announced plans to launch a new social media network, called TRUTH Social.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58990330

"Trump's Truth Social app branded a disaster"

In October, Donald Trump announced he was planning to launch a revolutionary technology company.

"I created Truth Social… to stand up to the tyranny of big tech," he said.

"We live in a world where the Taliban has a huge presence on Twitter yet your favourite American president has been silenced."

The app launched on Presidents' Day, 21 February, but six weeks later is beset by problems. A waiting list of nearly 1.5 million are unable to use it.

ruth Social looks a lot like Twitter, a platform that banned Mr Trump after a mob of his supporters attacked the United States Capitol Building.

Twitter believed Donald Trump, by making false claims the election had been "stolen", had incited violence. He was banned for life on 8 January, 2021.

Truth Social might look like Twitter, but it isn't available on Android phones, web browsers or, apparently, to most people outside the US.

"It's been a disaster," Joshua Tucker, director of NYU's Center for Social Media and Politics, said.

More over at Aunty Beeb: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-60922717

Just got a message on BBC News site saying that it will be necessary to register and sign in soon.in order to view it

I can only guess that the damned tories are at the root of this action

63 Republicans vote against NATO support and, yes, the usual suspects are among them -

More than 60 Republicans on Tuesday voted against a resolution expressing support for NATO and calling on President Joe Biden to strengthen the organization's commitment to defending democracy.

The resolution, introduced by Rep. Gerald Connolly, a Democrat from Virginia, was backed by a majority of the GOP caucus and every Democrat who voted.

Citing the threat posed by "authoritarian regimes" as well as "internal threats from proponents of illiberalism," the resolution calls on the Biden administration to uphold NATO's "founding democratic principles." It also advocates the creation of a "Center for Democratic Resilience" within NATO's headquarters in Brussels, with the center providing member states assistance to strengthen their own democratic institutions.

The vote comes not only amid a war in Ukraine that has sent millions of refugees into neighboring NATO states, but just after the reelection of Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who has faced international criticism for his relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin and assaults on civil society. Orban, who was endorsed by former President Donald Trump, has won praise from some right-wing pundits in the US for his hostility to immigration and LGBTQ rights.

Republicans who voted against Tuesday's resolution included most of Trump's most loyal defenders in Congress, among them: Reps. Lauren Boebert of Colorado; Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina; Matt Gaetz of Florida; Paul Gosar of Arizona; Marjorie Taylor-Greene of Georgia; and Jim Jordan of Ohio.

After relentless Republican complaints and about Hunter Biden’s international business work while his father was vice president, critics find it particularly rich that the Saudis invested a massive $2 billion in a Jared Kushner fund shortly after he left his senior adviser role in a Trump administration remarkably accommodating to the Saudis.

The money dwarfs any income Hunter Biden is known to have earned while on a Ukrainian energy company’s board while his father was Barack Obama’s vice president. And Hunter Biden couldn’t curry favor with any foreign entities with a powerful White House position like the one Kushner held, when Donald Trump’s son-in-law was supposed to be representing the American public and not his own interests...

the rest

1 hour ago, john g. said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61097114

Asylum seekers to the  UK to be processed in Rwanda.

I've just checked today's date. It's not April 1st. 

I saw this too and couldn't really believe it.

The BBC and Guardian are carrying the story,

so I tend to think it's true.

Consequence & Note to self:

how do I go about rescinding my UK citizenship?

Does it affect my UK pension? (do I care?)

Found it

Anyone else noticed that this thread seems to only contain posts about corruption, crazy policies and general fuckwittery from politicians.

No one posts about the good stuff politicians do.

Wonder why? ;)

2 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

I saw this too and couldn't really believe it.

The BBC and Guardian are carrying the story,

so I tend to think it's true.

Consequence & Note to self:

how do I go about rescinding my UK citizenship?

Does it affect my UK pension? (do I care?)

Found it

This has been talked about for weeks, I remember reading about it a month or so ago, but is only picking up traction in the media now.  Quite horrifying really, but the party faithful will continue to support Boris.

Just now, Tap said:

This has been talked about for weeks, I remember reading about it a month or so ago, but is only picking up traction in the media now.  Quite horrifying really, but the party faithful will continue to support Boris.

It´s only being talked about now because the govt have admitted it is there plan.

8 days ago it was denied by a Home Office Minister...

French far-right presidential candidate Marine Le Pen is alarming both Muslims and Jews in France with a pledge to regulate the ritual slaughter of animals if elected. Le Pen frames her measure as an effort to end animal suffering. She wants animals to be stunned first. But Jews and Muslims who for religious reasons eat meat from animals that aren't stunned before slaughter say they feel targeted. The issue is one of the many fault lines between Le Pen and incumbent President Emmanuel Macron and the starkly different visions of France they are presenting for next Sunday's election runoff vote.

The Sunak plot thickens, his father-in-law's business is based in Rwanda

625a77039f9d1_infosyssystems.jpg.3dff424

...and his wife is a major shareholder in the company