Politics Gen XYZ

3,809 posts in this topic

Ted Cruz wants to censor censorship by withholding federal money. Direct from the Trump playbook-

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said that he is introducing a bill to restrict federal government assistance for studios that alter their movies to get past China’s censors and gain entry into the country’s lucrative market.

The legislation would prohibit the U.S. government from providing technical or other types of support across agencies on movie projects if a studio anticipates a request or get one by the Chinese government to make edits on a movie. Cruz’s legislation is part of a broader series of bills he’s putting forward as he has put a spotlight on Chinese propaganda.

On the floor of the Senate on Thursday, Cruz said that the Chinese government had forced changes to titles like Doctor Strange, Skyfall and the Red Dawn remake, removing references to topics like Tibet, Taiwan and human rights. In Bohemian Rhapsody, he noted, they “edited out references to the fact that Freddie Mercury was gay.” ....

Studios for years have edited movies to gain entry into international markets, not just China but other countries, and those edits occasionally have created substantial attention. But Cruz has seized on China’s practices and he and other Republicans have also put the spotlight on the country’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Cruz called his legislation a “wake up call” to Hollywood. He’s seized on the attention generated by the industry before. In 2018, as he was running for reelection, he joined in protests on the right of the movie First Man, about Neil Armstrong’s landing on the moon, because it didn’t feature him planting the American flag on its surface. He wrote on Twitter that the movie “erases” the flag, although it was visible in one scene.

here

The mind truly boggles.

Sorry if this seems callous, but having this become a self-fulfilling prophesy might be the best thing to happen to America.

Just wow. I almost didn't believe this, but here's the actual video...

Stunning attempt at disenfranchising people who want to vote absentee out of concern for their health and the health of others.

The Republican National Committee and other Republican groups have filed a lawsuit against California to stop the state from mailing absentee ballots to all voters ahead of the 2020 general election, a move that was made in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The suit comes after California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, announced this month that the state would move to encourage all voters to cast their ballots by mail in November -- the most widespread expansion of vote-by-mail that has been announced as a result of the pandemic and in the nation's most populous state.

The RNC's lawsuit challenges that step, marking a significant escalation in the legal battles between Republicans and Democrats that are currently being waged in more than a dozen states.

On 5/26/2020, 9:58:10, Wulfrun said:

5ecccc03b3b23_richbastards.jpg.559a37d76

That's an interesting meme. I have no idea who Dominic Cummings is but I think it's probably true that smart people are at least more likely to earn somewhat more money. I also wouldn't hesitate to admit that the people I do know who are super rich are superior to me in many ways. They worked a lot harder than I did and were more dedicated. I spent years of my life just fucking off when I was in my early 20's and they didn't. My old buddy from the Aldi's family went to military school in the US and could spend about a month in any country in the world and become fluent in the language there (I have been living in Germany for many years and can bearly speak any German). And to top it off, he is an extremely nice, polite and fun guy. Almost all the same can be said for someone else I know who made millions by developing some kind of technology used in irrigation. Way superior than me on many levels.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has rebuffed Donald Trump’s invitation to attend a G-7 summit, which the president is keen to portray as a symbol of a return to normality from the upheaval of the coronavirus crisis.

"The federal chancellor thanks President Trump for his invitation to the G-7 summit at the end of June in Washington. As of today, considering the overall pandemic situation, she cannot agree to her personal participation, to a journey to Washington," German government spokesman Steffen Seibert told POLITICO on Friday.

"She will of course continue to monitor the development of the pandemic."

Merkel's refusal to accept Trump's invitation is the latest in a long line of examples of the difficult relationship between the two leaders. Trump has repeatedly criticized Germany, and Merkel specifically, over issues ranging from Berlin's trade surplus to its defense spending and commitment to NATO. Merkel has pointedly and publicly taken issue with the Trump administration's unilateral approach to a range of foreign policy issues, from climate change to the Iran nuclear deal.

In a call this week, the two leaders had heated disagreements on topics including NATO, the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline between Russia and Germany, and relations with China, according to a senior U.S. official, who declined to be named. Seibert, the German spokesman, did not respond to a question about whether the conversation was heated...

the rest

Have been googling around and am flummoxed to hear this story of an Afro-American musician and his developing friendship / respect ( mutual ) with a Grand Wizard of the Klu Klax Clan.

I am not American - maybe it is well- known to the Americans on here. Truly inspirational and with a happy ending: https://youtu.be/vCD9zuQcFuU

'Scares me to death': Georgia Republicans fret voting-access issue could sink Trump

says Republican strategist worried that mail-in ballots will undo decades of voter suppression efforts and turn the state blue.

Republican insiders in Georgia are warning after a balloting meltdown in Fulton County that Democrats could wield voting rights like a cudgel, galvanizing turnout this fall to defeat President Trump in the traditionally red state.

Of course, since this is the Examiner, it gets stupider from there.