Politics Gen XYZ

3,714 posts in this topic

The 'classic' blue passport was navy blue and had gold lettering and coat of arms...

PMQs: Experts slap down Boris Johnson's claim child poverty has 'substantially' dropped

The Prime Minister said Labour should "change their tune" on austerity as he trumped a "substantial reduction" in child poverty - but experts appeared to be left puzzled by the maths

Experts hit back today at Boris Johnson's claim that child poverty has "substantially" dropped in the UK.

The Tory leader made the eyebrow-raising remark during Prime Minister's Questions as he clashed with Jeremy Corbyn over the state of the UK.

Mr Johnson said Labour should "change their tune" on austerity as he boasted: "There are 400,000 fewer people in poverty. There has been a reduction - a substantial reduction in child poverty."

But the government's figures shown child poverty has risen on almost every measure since the Tories took power in 2010.

Two think tanks - the independent Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) and the anti-poverty group Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) - told the Mirror that by several measures, child poverty has risen.

Both think tanks acknowledged child poverty had fallen by one measure - but the IFS said it was "slight" and the JRF said it was "not statistically significant".

The Prime Minister was lying? Shock! Horror!

1 minute ago, Wulfrun said:

The 'classic' blue passport was navy blue and had gold lettering and coat of arms...

and they seem to have struggled translating the French on the original ...

It'll be nice to see Britons travelling with a passpoert sporting "your mother was a hamster" printed on the front. Will that also be the watermark on each page inside? Just asking for a friend.

No, each page will have a different Monty Python catchphrase.

Thus empowered, Britons will travel the world knowing they are a laughing stock.

So, remember all those neonazi numbnuts that got arrested last week?

Turns out, their fearful leader is directing this group from St. Petersburg, Russia. So much for Russian hoaxes, huh?

There is a rumor circulating on Twitter that significant numbers of US DOD and contractor personnel will be implicated in the next two months. That is just a rumor. I am not sure I believe it.

Met Police to deploy facial recognition cameras

The Metropolitan Police has announced it will use live facial recognition cameras operationally for the first time on London streets.

The cameras will be in use for five to six hours at a time, with bespoke lists of suspects wanted for serious and violent crimes drawn up each time.

Police say the cameras identified 70% of suspects but an independent review found much lower accuracy.

Privacy campaigners said it was a "serious threat to civil liberties".

Following earlier pilots in London and deployments by South Wales police, the cameras are due to be put into action within a month.

Big Brother lives...

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

There is a rumor circulating on Twitter that significant numbers of US DOD and contractor personnel will be implicated in the next two months. That is just a rumor. I am not sure I believe it.

I can believe it having worked for the DOD many years ago. Talk about a bunch of good old boy rednecks.....

On 13.1.2020, 19:35:21, AlexTr said:

[answering balticus's BS voting claims]
All Americans can maintain voter registration per the US gov't website I linked. Maybe you just should not answer questions about Americans who are bona fide residents of Germany. It seems you don't know anything.

Really, don't try to disenfranchise people. That's a really crap thing to do.

For me that is additional proof the Wannabe Estonian is a Russian troll.

9 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Wait, the Brits are getting a cheapened version of their old passport?!?

That is... hilarious, and very apt.

🤮 such an entitled and angry person with no self awareness.  I'm no great fan of Hunter Biden, but I find it so ironic that DT Jr. can't see how he's like what he's actually critiquing.  Yes - it truly is cognitive dissonance.  Why do people watch this sh%% and buy into it?  We have never had TV or cable ever.  So I would have to find this stuff on the internet I guess.  And then I would just 🤮 all day.  I just don't get it.

Perhaps these folks watching this stuff should all try walking dogs instead. 😂

The ‘Grenfell housing minister’ just got a top job in social housing

The so-called ‘Grenfell housing minister’ has landed a new job. He’s now a non-executive director for the UK’s largest social-housing provider. It has 42 high-rise tower blocks.

But this was the minister that campaigners accused of ‘suppressing’ action on fire safety before the Grenfell Tower fire. So at best, it shows the revolving door between big business and government is wide open. But at worst, one campaign group says, it shows no “compassion or humanity”.