Politics Gen XYZ

3,709 posts in this topic

5de0e67c02470_dickjohnson.jpg.0838d69381

Boris Johnson has just gone full Trump!...Never go full Trump!!

"The Conservatives are threatening a review of Channel 4’s broadcasting remit following a row that saw a melting block of ice stand in for Boris Johnson during a climate change debate.

The prime minister was branded “a coward and a bully” by Labour after the Tories complained to Ofcom about Thursday night’s debate and accused the broadcaster of “conspiring with Jeremy Corbyn”.

Mr Johnson refused to take part in Channel 4’s debate, and the broadcaster refused to accept his underling Michael Gove as a stand-in, stating that Mr Gove was “not the party leader”.

In place of the prime minister, Ben de Pear, editor of Channel 4 News, said the broadcaster would put “two ice sculptures [that] represent the emergency on planet earth”.

He said the melting ice was “visual metaphor” for the missing leader, as well as Nigel Farage, who also declined to take part."....

Ridicule and disbelief as Boris Johnson insists he's never told a single lie in his whole political career

Boris Johnson has prompted widespread ridicule after claiming he has never told a lie during his political career in a televised interview.

Appearing on ITV, the prime minister was asked whether he could look the presenter “in the eye” and say he had never lied in his career – spanning back to 2001 when he was first elected as an MP. 

“Absolutely not, absolutely not,” Mr Johnson replied. “I have never tried to deceive the public and I’ve always tried to be absolutely frank.”

Pressed again, he continued: “I may have got things wrong, I may have been mistaken, but I’ve never tried to deceive people about the way I see things.” 

Mr Johnson later added: “I am not going to pretend that in my political career I have not said or done things that have caused offence. I’ve made mistakes, I’ve certainly made mistakes."

Pants on fire, or should that be an inferno?

12 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

The key phrase is this:

... but I’ve never tried to deceive people about the way I see things.

The way you see things is not the same as the truth.   Ask the flat-earthers!

General election 2019: Row over Boris Johnson debate 'empty chair'

The Conservative Party is embroiled in a row with Channel 4 over the broadcaster's decision to "empty chair" Boris Johnson during its election debate on climate change last night.

Minister Michael Gove offered to take his place, but the broadcaster said the invitation was for leaders only.

The party wrote to Ofcom saying placing an ice sculpture on the PM's podium was a "provocative partisan stunt".

Conservative sources briefed journalists at BuzzFeed News and the Telegraph that "if we are re-elected we will have to review Channel 4's Public Services Broadcasting obligations".

Google bans eight different Tory election adverts as disinformation concerns mount

Google has banned eight different adverts paid for by the Conservatives over the last month because they broke its rules, The Independent can reveal.

The move by the search giant comes amid mounting concerns about the Tories’ use of disinformation and fake news as campaigning tools at the general

election.

Transparency data released by the search giant this week shows that the adverts “violated Google’s advertising policies” and had been removed.

Six of the banned adverts were put up by the Tories on the day of the Labour manifesto launch – when the Conservative Party set up a fake website called labourmanifesto.co.uk purporting to contain the opposition’s policies. 
During that incident, the Tories paid Google to push its fake version of the Labour manifesto to the top of search results for those searching for the deal document.

Google would not disclose the content of the Tory adverts that were pulled nor the exact reasons that they were taken down. The company’s guidelines however say “we value honesty and fairness, so we don’t allow the promotion of products or services that are designed to enable dishonest behaviour”.

It also specifically lists “fake documents” as one of the things that cannot be promoted in advertisements and says “we don’t allow ads or destinations that deceive users”.

None of the election’s other major parties had adverts pulled in recent months, according to the records. Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party, however, had five adverts pulled at the end of October for policy violations.

I may be naïve but isn't "disinformation" lying?

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Just alternative wording - like nowadays rubbish is "thermally treated" rather than being burnt.

Boris Johnson described most deprived members of society as ‘chavs, losers, burglars and drug addicts’

Boris Johnson once described the poorest 20 per cent of society as being made up of “chavs, losers, burglars and drug addicts”, it has emerged.

The prime minister made the comments during an attack on the Labour government in an opinion piece for the Daily Telegraph in 2005.

Mr Johnson, who was then MP for Henley and editor of Spectator magazine, began by taking exception to Gordon Brown’s dismissal of Tory leader David Cameron as “an old Etonian”.

After accusing the then-chancellor of “rank dishonesty”, Mr Johnson wrote: “He is attempting to re-open a class divide that long ago disappeared, and he and his party are refusing to admit the existence of the real divide in our society.”

Mr Johnson continued: “The real divide is between the entire class of people now reposing their fat behinds on the green and red benches in the Palace of Westminster, and the bottom 20 per cent of society – the group that supplies us with the chavs, the losers, the burglars, the drug addicts and the 70,000 people who are lost in our prisons and learning nothing except how to become more effective criminals.”

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

One could call it fake news but, in the U.S., that is the term for the truth.

So confusing.