Politics Gen XYZ

3,742 posts in this topic

Make report on Russian meddling public now, says former MI5 chief

The former head of MI5 has backed calls for a parliamentary report into alleged Russian interference in the UK democratic process to be published before the general election.

Downing Street has been accused of holding back the report by the Intelligence and Security Committee, which oversees the work of MI5, MI6 and GCHQ and sees highly sensitive intelligence material as a result.

Lord Evans of Weardale, who was MI5 director general until 2013, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “In principle, I think it should be released.”

He added: “If the Government have a reason why this should not be published before the election, then I think they should make it very clear what that reason is.”

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman yesterday indicated the necessary clearance process has yet to be completed.

Dominic Grieve, chairman of the ISC, has said the process is normally completed within 10 working days, while government sources claimed it takes six weeks.

It appears that this useless government can't get anything done in 'normal' time...

Reminds me of when Roy Hattersley MP didn't turn up for Have I Got News For You, only to be replaced with a tub of lard.

Spineless Tory chairman obviously had no answers to the questions he was to be asked. Utterly useless government.

8 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

the process is normally completed within 10 working days

They are waiting until after the election in the same vein that Trump will drop the China tariffs just before the election.

7 hours ago, hooperski said:

Reminds me of when Roy Hattersley MP didn't turn up for Have I Got News For You, only to be replaced with a tub of lard.

Spineless Tory chairman obviously had no answers to the questions he was to be asked. Utterly useless government.

He was afraid to appear after the roasting that Piers Morgan gave him on ITV's Good Morning show

The tories' new slogan might just backfire on them...

After nine years running us into the ground, the Tories declare that ‘Britain deserves better’ than them

Boris Johnson told us what would happen if we didn’t leave the EU on 31 October. And since he must have been telling the truth, there’ll be a lot of cleaning up to do.

To start with, there are reports that Mark Francois exploded. I imagine the police sealed off the streets around his home, and are warning the public not to approach any bits of him on the pavement, as they could explode again.

And now with refreshing honesty, the party that’s been in government for nine years is campaigning on the slogan “Britain deserves better”. It’s quite sweet, in a way, that they appear to have forgotten they’re in charge already. Presumably they’ll follow this up with a manifesto written in the same spirit: “There must be someone better than this bunch of incompetent knobheads. What? Oh it’s us.”

Boris Johnson launched the Conservative election campaign today with a sewer of lies

They packed them all in to the cavernous hall. They gave them their placards and they told them when to wave them.

Then in walked their wobbling Sun God. He cleared his throat, punched his palms into the lectern and threw open the sluice gates.

The lies poured forth like open sewage, or a catastrophic explosion at the start of a disaster movie.

Out they tumbled at such speed it was impossible to know where one began and one ended. At times, actual, self-contained lies could be made out, like bodies on the current of a deadly river.

At others, the lies had coagulated to form a kind of very slow-cooked bulls**t casserole, the false meat and the untrue gravy forming a kind of unctuous slop.

Of course, I could try to list them all, but what does that achieve? We’ve been down this path before. The lies on the side of the bus. The lies about Turkey. Lies are how you win.

And there were just too many to gather. Better, as Lester Burnham advises in the closing monologue to American Beauty, better to relax and stop trying to hold on to it. To let it flow through you like rain.

Who gains, for example, if I sit here and type out, again, that there aren’t going to be “40 new hospitals”, there’ll be six at the most? Boris Johnson has been telling that lie for more than a month. He told it outside 10 Downing Street at lunchtime on his way back from seeing the Queen (who he also lied to).