Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bavaria publishes crime statistics for 2016

14 posts in this topic

Like last year, Bavarian police has announced the newest crime statistics:

Crime statistics, full report (pdf, 56 pages)

Explanation of terms used in the report (15 pages)

Just like last year, Bavarian police uses three immigration related terms for suspects: German suspects (deutsche Tatverdächtige), non-German suspects (nichtdeutsche Tatverdächtige) and Immigrants (Zuwanderer). Immigrants are those non-German suspects who are here as refugees, refugee applicants or were caught without any legal visa.

Enjoy reading. There is short summary on Bayerisches Rundfunk.

Some additional statistics: number of prisoners and safety inmates* by federal state. And here population of the states. Well, Bavaria is second most populous state and has the second highest number of prisoners. Not surprising, eh?

NRW: 15'463, per capita 0,87

Bavaria: 11'184, per capita 0,87

Baden-Würtemberg: 6'788, per capita 0,62

Hessen: 4608, per capita 0,75

Berlin: 3884, per capita 1,1

It is however possible, that prisoners from other (smaller) states also sit in Bavarian prisons, so these numbers can be different from the number of convicted criminals by Bavarian courts.

Safety inmate (Sicherungsverwahrte) - a criminal who served its prison time, but is deemed too dangerous to be let out.  Sicherungsverwahrung is set by courts as additional punishment to the jail time.

Landesamt für Statistik gives totally different numbers: 8274 inmates and security inmates in 2016 in Bavaria. I have no idea, why such a vast difference in numbers because you have to pay to get the source on statista.com.

So, according to official statistics authority there are only 8274 inmates, 0,64 per capita. 5431 Germans and 2843 foreign nationals. Among them 501 inmates are serving time between 5 and 10 years, 99 inmates have 10-15 years, 261 inmates are serving life sentence. Also 56 exclusively male inmates are in jail for safety reasons (Sicherungsverwahrung).

Dynamics, according to Landesamt für Statistik:

2016 8274

2015 8316

2014 8653

2007 9860

The population of Bavaria is slightly increasing, however the crime is decreasing. But! Crime is up in Munich and Upper Bavaria.

"normal": 8 077

U-Haft (pre-trial): 2 861

other: 246

https://www.destatis.de/DE/Publikationen/Thematisch/Rechtspflege/StrafverfolgungVollzug/BestandGefangeneVerwahrtePDF_5243201.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

But I would be careful when trying to correlate crime to number of prisoners. Bavaria might be stricter with sentences (in part because prisons could be less crouded) and have better police and state attorney investigations.

Ah, so the difference is U-Haft, understood, thanks. 

51 minutes ago, sneaker said:

But I would be careful when trying to correlate crime to number of prisoners. Bavaria might be stricter with sentences (in part because prisons could be less crouded) and have better police and state attorney investigations.

Of course, care is required, I also wrote above that

19 hours ago, yourkeau said:

It is however possible, that prisoners from other (smaller) states also sit in Bavarian prisons, so these numbers can be different from the number of convicted criminals by Bavarian courts.

It's a start

Germany is set to deport two terror suspects, despite both being born in the country but whose parents are foreigners - the first case of its kind in German history.

On 3/21/2017, 11:24:16, yourkeau said:

The population of Bavaria is slightly increasing, however the crime is decreasing. But! Crime is up in Munich and Upper Bavaria.

Decreasing? Did you see this graphic? It's going through the roof.

Capture.JPG

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Did you see this graphic? It's going through the roof.

Of course I saw this graphic. I just wanted to push my agenda, that's why I lied.

Doesn't it apply to crimes like sex trafficking, forcing to prostitution etc?

Follow the second link in the OP for explanation of terms used in the report.

100000 Straftaten gegen die sexuelle Selbstbestimmung is a general category, which includes subcategory:

111000 Vergewaltigung und sexuelle Nötigung

This subcategory is also a part of 4.3 Gewaltkriminalität section.

So sexual related crime may or may not be a violence crime.

More detailed report will be in a Jahrbuch 2016, it will be published here. You may have a look at the earlier years, though.

In the field of rape, statistical increase in crimes like "rape" etc is not always a bad thing. The German law before Cologne made it pretty difficult for victims to come forth and prove their case., especially with the "consent" problem. There is improvement in that now with "no means no" , so more people should be able to access justice, which should reflect on stats as an increase. But one point is that the previous stats were considered rather low because cases kept on closing without sentence. There should be a clearer picture in a couple of years hopefully.  Data provided by hotlines, womens organizations, hospitals (if available) and comparisons help as well.