7 weeks and counting - advise on a license conversion

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just over 7 weeks ago I converted my international license (under special provision - Appendix 11 - as its South African). I am still waiting patiently for any sign of it being ready to collect. When I applied, I was told I would have received a letter to collect it in 3 or 4 weeks, but unfortunately nothing yet :(

Last week, I went to the license department and waited in the queue until a very unfriendly man took my papers, looked at the computer and told me to leave and wait for a collection notice.

This is incredibly frustrating as I need a license for work (and dont want to drive on a permit that is outside the 1 year limit). More so I am just amazed at how slow German processes are (after having been sold the fake dream that everything works like a charm here).

I will just continue to wait. However, as I was told it would take around 4 weeks, I am starting to get impatient. Any advice how I can speed this up, find out where it is or someone I can chat to?

P.

I did this 2 years ago in Berlin (with another EU license), and it took almost 4 months. When I initially handed in my old license to convert it to the new one, the employee at the Amt said it could take anywhere from 1 to 3 months. I was allowed to keep my current license. After 4 months, I received the letter in the post, and brought the letter, my current license and my 'Anmeldebescheinigung' to the LABO in Puttkamerstraße, where they took the current license off me, and gave me the new one. I think you just have to wait for the letter, since that means your new license is printed and ready.