Germans infertile?

217 posts in this topic

I haven't looked at many statistics but is it just me or is there a huge fertility problem among ethnic Germans?  I don't mean the fact that people don't want to kids but so many couples seem to be BIOLOGICALLY unable to have children.  It seems that over 50 % of ethnic German couples that I've talked to regarding this matter either had to try for years to have kids, had to go for some kind of therapy, had premature children, had miscarriages or had children with medical problems.  I really feel bad for these people and I thank God that mine are alright and wouldn't want this to happen to anybody.  However I can't help but wonder what the hell is going on here?  Other countries have these problems too but I didn't hear of it as much in Canada and a lot less in Eastern Europe and Lebanon.  It took us a month or two to conceive our babies and yet so many German couples feel as if they were launching a rocket ship.  What gives? :(

True, I remember a geography lesson in school, back then in the 1980s in the atlas there were only two countries in the world that had negative population growth: 

1. German Democratic Republic: https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/249217/umfrage/bevoelkerung-der-ddr/
  2. Federal Republic of Germany: https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1358/umfrage/entwicklung-der-gesamtbevoelkerung-deutschlands/ 

The reason for that?

Who knows.

Some people blame the estrogen from the anti-baby pill that's eliminated through women's urine and enters the water cycle that way, in turn feminising males through the drinking water:

So you could say it's something in the water ;)

Source: https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/14052/umfrage/deutschland-wachstum-der-bevoelkerung/

58c2ecbf1f339_2017-03-1019_11_34-Sprungl

58c2ed777ca94_2017-03-1019_14_51-Sprungl

58c2ed8153a28_2017-03-1019_15_18-Sprungl

Maybe it has something to do with the ages they are trying.  In Iceland, most people still have lots of kids but they mostly start early too.  Nobody thinks it's a problem to have a baby while you are still at university for example.  Germans tend to be more organized and they wait.  First you have to finish your studies, then you have to get a good job, then you have to wait until you have a permanent contract at your job and maybe you have to wait until you've bought a house as well.  By the time you have done all that, you and your wife have reached your 30's and fertility is dropping fast, at least for the women.

10 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

J0ker, do you think that is the reason why the number of abortions in 2016 was the lowest of the last 20 years?

Ah, you didn't read that article till the very end, they give the reasons at the end:

• less women of childbearing age in Germany
  • better education about contraception
  • free anti-baby pill (paid by public health insurance) for all women up till age 20

Well, I would say It's the age. Infertility is never a mass population problem, genetically speaking. There's no scientific reason for a group of people to have problem conceiving children only based in their ancestry.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

By the time you have done all that, you and your wife have reached your 30's and fertility is dropping fast, at least for the women.

I don't know, that explains the West German numbers, but in East Germany women were having children at earlier ages, plus the state provided housing and childcare for young couples.

So why the negative population growth in East Germany (source)?

58c2f3fdf03d4_2017-03-1019_43_05-Sprungl

Here's an article comparing the age of mothers when giving birth in West and East Germany: http://www.bpb.de/nachschlagen/zahlen-und-fakten/soziale-situation-in-deutschland/61556/alter-der-muetter

58c2e72854408_61557-1x2-article620(1).gi

1 hour ago, J0ker said:

I haven't looked at many statistics but is it just me or is there a huge fertility problem among ethnic Germans?  I don't mean the fact that people don't want to kids but so many couples seem to be BIOLOGICALLY unable to have children.  It seems that over 50 % of ethnic German couples that I've talked to regarding this matter either had to try for years to have kids, had to go for some kind of therapy, had premature children, had miscarriages or had children with medical problems.  I really feel bad for these people and I thank God that mine are alright and wouldn't want this to happen to anybody.  However I can't help but wonder what the hell is going on here?  Other countries have these problems too but I didn't hear of it as much in Canada and a lot less in Eastern Europe and Lebanon.  It took us a month or two to conceive our babies and yet so many German couples feel as if they were launching a rocket ship.  What gives? :(

Did you note these couples socio-economical circumstances?

Nowadays, there is plenty of medical help available for those who have problems with fertility, including IVF.

Another explanation could be that the people who you spoke to do not really want kids but since it is a taboo to admit it, they pretend they have troubles concieving.

1 hour ago, PandaMunich said:

I don't know, that explains the West German numbers, but in East Germany women were having children at earlier ages, plus the state provided housing and childcare for young couples.

So why the negative population growth in East Germany in the 1980s?

Here's an article comparing West and East Germany: http://www.bpb.de/nachschlagen/zahlen-und-fakten/soziale-situation-in-deutschland/61556/alter-der-muetter

58c2e72854408_61557-1x2-article620(1).gi

In the UK, the problem is reverse. Too many teenage pregnancies.:)

I have seen many people in their 30s and already grandparents.

1 hour ago, klubbnika said:

Another explanation could be that the people who you spoke to do not really want kids but since it is a taboo to admit it, they pretend they have troubles concieving.

What taboo? In Germany?

I have impression that Germany is quite free from child propaganda: it's a personal choice to have or not to have children, and it is respected. One of the reasons for low fertility rates, too.

37 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

it's a personal choice to have or not to have children, and it is respected. One of the reasons for low fertility rates, too.

So, the choice to not have children is also considered technically as "Infertility"? I mean end result is the same, so I'm not contesting anything here, just trying to understand the semantics.

Well, it's anecdotal, but my ethnic German wife and I have three kids, who were all conceived and born in Germany. Time to get busy making some more!

7 minutes ago, Conquistador said:

Well, it's anecdotal, but my ethnic German wife and I have three kids, who were all conceived and born in Germany. Time to get busy making some more!

Precisely...the media (all the shitty sitcoms and ads and films) is just filling the heads of the youth these days (massively since 10-15 years) about the "horrors" of having kids, while another ethnic community is having on an average of 3 kids per family. Putting my tin hat foil, there is an agenda here. ;)

Only-nazis-did-propaganda.jpg

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

What taboo? In Germany?

I have impression that Germany is quite free from child propaganda: it's a personal choice to have or not to have children, and it is respected. One of the reasons for low fertility rates, too.

Can you just stop comparing everything with Ukraine?

32 minutes ago, Conquistador said:

Maybe because you both were secretly drinking "Halal water" ... ;)

27 minutes ago, Erdmann said:

Precisely...the media (all the shitty sitcoms and ads and films) is just filling the heads of the youth these days (massively since 10-15 years) about the "horrors" of having kids, while another ethnic community is having on an average of 3 kids per family. Putting my tin hat foil, there is an agenda here. ;)

Only-nazis-did-propaganda.jpg

The world is overpopulated anyway. :)

5 minutes ago, klubbnika said:

The world is overpopulated anyway. :)

Well, I guess nobody from India or China are getting that point across. *No offence to any Indians or Chinese here, it's just the way the world is*