Tax return 2016 - easy questions

44 posts in this topic

Hi all, I can't believe there's no thread like this every year ;) or maybe it's in another forum?

I got a couple of minor understanding questions (not tax advice!) on the forms - I noticed that they changed a bit since https://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/ELSTER

• On the "Anlage Vorsorge Aufwand" what is refered to in line 11? I think it includes normal employee's health insurance contributions (i.e. paid by the employer) but I'm thrown by the "tax free" part?

• On the "Anlage Vorsorge Aufwand" - line 13: is this really asking us to calculate how much insurance contribution is left over after any sick pay? How would one do this? Does it mean some kind of extra payments from serious illness (I can only assume that's the case)?

The "standard" thread for questions is:

Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand: https://www.smartsteuer.de/portal/pdf/ESt2016/Anlage_Vorsorgeaufwand_2016.pdf

Line 11: does someone pay part of your health insurance?

"Yes" for employees, since your employer does.

"No" for self-employed.

Line 13: Employees don't fill in anything in there. This line is for self-employed voluntary members of public health insurance who opted to pay only 14% (instead of the normal 14.6%), but in return do not get any sick pay when they're ill: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/359003-health-insurance-in-germany-possible-to-be-covered-by-spouses-employer/?do=findComment&comment=3451383

• On the "Anlage Vorsorge Aufwand" - lines 24-28 and 42-45: how do I know if I opted in / didn't refuse to have my data shared (with whom / by whom???) 

This applies to health insurance only and you would know if you had forbidden something.

People can forbid their health insurer from transmitting to the Finanzamt how much they contributed.

The disadvantage in that is that these people then have to prove their health insurance contributions to the Finanzamt through a paper certificate issued by their insurance. 

If you didn't forbid it, the Finanzamt would already have the data.

Tax return deadline will be increased to 31 July from 2019 (for 2018 tax return).

For 2016 and 2017 tax returns the deadline is 31 May of the following year.

1 hour ago, sos-the-rope said:

Just a fan of real facts!

But not of please and thank you's apparently.

So generous people, one more question!

• Is it best to go literally in person and hand over the printed, signed sealed tax declaration, or post it or what? What's the safest in your experience? Is it worth making a stamp and adding my name and address to each attachment?

I print whatever needs to be printed, put it together with whatever paperwork I have to attach, put everything in an A4 envelope and throw it in the Finanzamt mailbox at the entrance of the building. Been doing that for years.

On 7-3-2017 21:51:38, PandaMunich said:

The "standard" thread for questions is:

Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand: https://www.smartsteuer.de/portal/pdf/ESt2016/Anlage_Vorsorgeaufwand_2016.pdf

Line 11: does someone pay part of your health insurance?

"Yes" for employees, since your employer does.

"No" for self-employed.

Line 13: Employees don't fill in anything in there. This line is for self-employed voluntary members of public health insurance who opted to pay only 14% (instead of the normal 14.6%), but in return do not get any sick pay when they're ill: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/359003-health-insurance-in-germany-possible-to-be-covered-by-spouses-employer/?do=findComment&comment=3451383

Hello,

I am filling in my German tax forms for 2016. One of these is the Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand 2016. Last year I worked full time for a German employer. I have a question about the part in the Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand 2016 below:

"Eine Eintragung ist stets vorzunehmen, bei Zusammenveranlagung von jedem Ehegatten/ Lebenspartner

Haben Sie zu ihrer Krankenversicherung oder ihren Krankheitskosten Anspruch auf

• steuerfreie Zuschlüsse

• steuerfreie Arbeitsgeberbeträge

• steuerfreie Beihilfen"

PandaMunich, you are mentioning Line 11, see quote above. Are we talking about the same? The question in Line 11 is whether or not you are entitled to a tax free Zuschlüsse, a tax free amount from your employer or a tax free Beihilfen. Am I correct? My German is not so good... thanks.

Thank you PandaMunich. In that case, as I worked for a German employer who contributed to my German healthinsurance Techniker Krankenkasse, I guess I have to fill in Yes ("Ja") for the question posed at nr. 11. How come my Lohnsteuerbescheinigung für 2016 does not mention anywhere that I am entitled to a steuerfreie Arbeitsgeberbeträg? In other words how do I know I am entitled to a steuerfreie Arbeitsgeberbeträge?

You don't understand.

These tax-free contributions have already been paid for you by your employer to the social security institutions throughout the year.

You cost your employer around 20% on top of your gross salary.

So you're not entitled to anything additionally, this is about stuff that already happened and that is contained in your Lohnsteuerbescheinigung, have a look at the entries under 22 and 24.

Thank you for all the information. On my Lohnsteuerbescheinigung für 2016 I see indeed that my employer paid an amount under 22 "Arbeitgeberanteil/ zuschluss," but there is no amount mentioned  next to 24 "Steuerfreie Arbeitgeberzuschlüsse a, b, c".