Publishing profile on immobilienscout24.de - is it worth it?

24 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am moving to Stuttgart area with my family in next three months because of new job. I have started looking at rental apartments (3+ rooms) on websites like immobilienscout24.de and immowelt.de. On immobilienscout24.de  I came across an interesting option where I can make a profile, pay some amount and then website says that my profile will be available to landlords or agencies and they can contact me even before they advertise their property on the website.

This what website says about this option (translated from German):

Your advantages

• You will receive unpublished offers until now
  • You are found & contacted    
  • Your search will be more effective    
  • Your chances of success increase by 5 times

Considering how much time consuming was apartment hunting for me last time and the fact that it is generally very time consuming and frustrating to get apartment in Stuttgart region, this options seems like worth a try. However, I want to ask if anyone of you have ever used this option elsewhere in Germany and found it to be useful/useless - kindly share your experience?

P.S. I am not only looking exactly for residence in Stuttgart city. I am looking mainly at areas like Esslingen, Ostfildern, Filderstadt, Vaihingen and I am also flexible enough to look into cities likes Metzingen and Reutlingen.

I can imagine you will only be contacted by Makler who will then charge you a nice fee if they find/have something for you. In that case, you may only be able to work with one at a time.  I may be wrong.

All a landlord has to do is list a property and then he/she gets hundreds of applicants automatically. I don't know why a landlord would use this service to look for tenants.

Again, I may be wrong.

We used this option and were contacted by several private parties through the service with very good offerings. You can simply say no to makler fees when you speak with them on the phone.

26 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

All a landlord has to do is list a property and then he/she gets hundreds of applicants automatically. I don't know why a landlord would use this service to look for tenants.

Maybe for the same reason why some landlords don't advertise their flats in the paper. My friend's parents own two blocks of flats in Stuttgart and IIRC they prefer to pick their tenants from ads in papers ("Wohnung gesucht") rather than wading through hundreds of (potentially unsuitable) applicants.

I haven't got any experience with those kind of ads on Immoscout though, so I'm afraid I can't help you there, dreamer15. Good luck though, we found our flat on Immoscout two years ago and it was easier than I'd thought.

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

We used this option and were contacted by several private parties through the service with very good offerings. You can simply say no to makler fees when you speak with them on the phone.

Good to know.

When you say no to their fees, do they still show you the property or did you just stick with the private parties?

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Good to know.

When you say no to their fees, do they still show you the property or did you just stick with the private parties?

We just stuck with private parties. We did find a very sneaky thing on Immoscout that non-native or non-fluent German speakers should be aware of: some agents are putting in the ad that the person must contact them first via email and copy and paste a text in the contact form that says they accept all fees. This is garbage. You are not obligated to accept fees. We ended up renting directly from a business that owns the building in which we will be living and, of course, paid no fees.

ETA: We met with one agent in two different apartments where the owners were paying the fees and he had zero information about the flats and in one place didn't even have the keys to the garage. It was a waste of time. Furthermore, the three or four times we contacted agents (this is Nuernberg/Erlangen area), they didn't even get back in touch with us in a timely fashion. We had already signed a lease and been home for several days by the time we got return calls.

I think it is worth it.

1. Swabians are frugal - if they can save the money for an ad, they are happy. For this reason,  many  go through "Wohnungsgesuche" or profiles in Immoscout

2. Many want to avoid getting flooded with hundreds of applicants and prefer to pick their applicants.

4 hours ago, Thai said:

2. Many want to avoid getting flooded with hundreds of applicants and prefer to pick their applicants.

This is sounding better and better. We may try this approach the next time we need a renter. Just invite 10 or so for a viewing.

May thanks guys for helpful replies. I really appreciate it. Most probably I am going to give it a try. I will update about my experience with this profile stuff on immobilienscout24.de - though it might take long to get back here to update this post :) 

On 8.3.2017, 09:42:57, dreamer15 said:

May thanks guys for helpful replies. I really appreciate it. Most probably I am going to give it a try. I will update about my experience with this profile stuff on immobilienscout24.de - though it might take long to get back here to update this post :) 

Hello dreamer15,

Can you give us an update?

We just went through this and I think what helped us finally land a place is giving a brief bio (just the good stuff!) in the initial contact with the makler/landlord. Stuff like I'm experienced with all household repairs, our kids our respectful, I have a steady job with contract copy available, we plan to stay for a long time, we'll take care of the place like our own, etc. We had a couple places fall through and it was quite obvious they preferred someone with fewer or no children, so whatever you can do to set yourself apart will help. Good luck! We ended up in a smaller town outside Stuttgart but it has all the basic daily necessities and is close to the S-Bahn station.

I tried using immobilienscout24 to find an apartment near Tübingen and all I ever got was scam artists who were trying to get money in advance of actually seeing the apartment. I reported them but I still saw the same adds coming back up. I didn't get my place through them but from a student website.

We recently had an ad (published profile) on immobilienscout and for us it brought nothing. Waste of money. We had better luck on ebay. I was kind of surprised, I thought landlords would be using it but, for us at least, it was not the case. I think our profile is good. We have a very good rate of getting our foot in the door when applying to adverts and we have been the ones declining offers rather than the other way around. So I don't think it was down to our profile.

I have been desperately looking for a 2 room apartment now for 6 months without luck. This brought me to this forum thread, I was thinking maybe having that "Premium" badge would help me land more visits and maybe eventually an apartment but I am still reluctant to do it. 

I have already been living in an overpriced 1-room apartment for more than a year now, and WITHOUT A CONTRACT! I had to accept that because otherwise, I would have been homeless for a while.

I am a software engineer, with a good stable income and unlimited contract living in Munich and my wife is a doctor who's relocating with me next year. However, this did not help me (you know how it is Munich :( ) find a bigger apartment yet. Maybe because of my origins (as my username suggests I am from northern Africa but I look more italian I guess :D ).

Maybe this is off topic a little bit, but can someone suggest a better way of finding a 2-room apartment for long-term rent? Maklers? I am really desperate with no clue about what to try next :(

OP here, at the end I went for this option (publishing my profile, premium badge and stuff) on immobilienscout24 but found it total waste of money. I got hardly two messages from Landlords themselves but it didn't work out. At the end, what really helped me was asking my German colleague to review the text for "Kontaktanfrage" (kind of application letter). He made some corrections in the text and at the end it was grammatically perfect German text. Within one week I got an apartment. I am not saying this alone did the magic, but definitely it made a difference and increased response rates.

Thank you for the reply @dreamer15 

Then I guess I am just gonna try my luck with that as I don't really have the choice here. And will try to get some feedback from a native German speaker regarding my application.

It's really easier to land a job here in Munich than to find a place to live in..

@nordafrikanisch nfortunately, I will concur with the OP. Did the same following the same adivise. Got a few reposnses which were all either off (wrong locations, way more expensive) - still guaranting nothing. Too much effort for just 1-2 more viewings without any more prospects of actually renting.

Again, I would agree with the OP. Have someone native review your appliction letter, add pictures, try to be with your wife at the viewings (landlords are looking for couples), tell everyone that your are here for good and plan to rent for the next 5-10 years THAT very place. 

Generally, go further outside the center. The competition is less there.

We (family of 4 are looking for an apartment in Nuremberg, we have been 10 days here and no success (I know I was dreaming thinking I was going to find an apartment in 2 weeks) .. We were wondering if we should paid for the mitglied plus, but I guess is not worthy... My German is B1-B2, I will ask my German friends to correct my "anfrage". 

1 hour ago, Cecibio said:

We (family of 4 are looking for an apartment in Nuremberg, we have been 10 days here and no success (I know I was dreaming thinking I was going to find an apartment in 2 weeks) .. We were wondering if we should paid for the mitglied plus, but I guess is not worthy... My German is B1-B2, I will ask my German friends to correct my "anfrage". 

Also try putting a suche advert on kleinanzeigen, that will sometimes pay off