How to determine your tax class

94 posts in this topic

Hello!

I would be really great if you could shed a light on the marriage tax deductions. We are planning to get married this year (in September); for now my fiancee has a temporary work contract in Germany till the end of 2016, and I am a non-employed person (we are both EU-citizens). If we are getting married in September, are marriage tax deductions are applied to my husband, if he is a temporary worker in Germany (he receives his salary here)? And are those deduction are calculated for the salary which he gets following other after-marriage months or salary is re-calculated for the whole year (2016)? 

Thank you in advance. 

1 hour ago, TatjanaPota said:

Hello!

I would be really great if you could shed a light on the marriage tax deductions. We are planning to get married this year (in September); for now my fiancee has a temporary work contract in Germany till the end of 2016, and I am a non-employed person (we are both EU-citizens). If we are getting married in September, are marriage tax deductions are applied to my husband, if he is a temporary worker in Germany (he receives his salary here)? And are those deduction are calculated for the salary which he gets following other after-marriage months or salary is re-calculated for the whole year (2016)? 

Thank you in advance. 

He can communicate the tax change to his employer and they will then recalculate the correct (?) salary. 

In any case all the adjustments and calculations will be done next year when you submit your tax return and Finanzamt calculates for the whole year as if you were married. 

This is what happened to me at least! 

Hi All,
I have one query regarding tax class when both husband wife are working. Till now I am in Class III and my wife is in Class V as she has an Internship job and earns around 950 Euros Per month after taxes. Now if she get permanent can we still stay in III and V.

What does it means lower income as mentioned below. Is there some range which classifies lower and higher income.

class III = married and and spouse has no income or lower income

Thanks,

Vicky

Hi all, 

can someone tell me, please, if I am unmarried single parent with a 16y old child and now temporarily my child went to home country, should I change my Steuerklass  to 1?

I know that it is not in this topic, but what happens with Kindergeld? We both have EU citizenship. My partner is not in life. 

Thank you in advance!

Alex

No, don't worry, you stay in Steuerklasse 2 as long as your child stays registered at your address, i.e. as long as he/she is only on a visit to your EU home country (§38b (1) Satz1 Nr. 2 EStG in conjunction with §24b (1) Satz 2 EStG)

Regarding Kindergeld, even if your child went back permanently to your EU home country, you would still get Kindergeld for him/her: 

Oh, thank you PandaMunich! 

It was fast and comprehensive answer.

Really appreciate

Alex

Hi all, I have a query regarding the change in tax-class.

Till now me and my spouse both had job so we both had tax class IV.  From next month  my wife would have 'tax-free' income as research scholarship from University. 

She would not be 'employee' anymore despite of income.

Do we need to change the tax-classes? If yes, which one? Thanks

On 6/17/2018, 6:09:15, curious_guy said:

Hi all, I have a query regarding the change in tax-class.

Till now me and my spouse both had job so we both had tax class IV.  From next month  my wife would have 'tax-free' income as research scholarship from University. 

She would not be 'employee' anymore despite of income.

Do we need to change the tax-classes? If yes, which one? Thanks

Hi curious_guy,

I was in your situation until a few months ago. I can confirm you that, in our situation, I took the class III and my wife took the V, since she didn't pay any taxes anyway.

I think that if you don't do that (or if you do that later), you'll still get back the difference when filing your taxes next year, but best case scenario you'll get what you are due later, as far as I know there should only be gains going III / V.

9 hours ago, spinaci said:

as far as I know there should only be gains going III / V.

It is difficult to predict without concrete numbers.   Because you are now in classes III-V you are required to file taxes, you still can choose to file as a couple or individually depending what's better for you.   Your wife have tax-free income, but it does not mean she does not have to file that income, and if you file as a couple the income from your wife might bring you to a higher tax bracket, so it will affect you.   And if you file separated you will definitely going to have to pay money back because you are using at the moment part of your wife's tax allowance.

I only can tell you one thing, there is really no gain in being IV-IV or III-V once you file taxes in both cases.  You will always pay the same amount of taxes.  Your tax classes only define how your pre-payments will be calculated during the year, but once you file taxes the real amounts are calculated and in both situations they should be the same.

Hello!

I will be registering soon and have a question regarding my tax class. I am married, however my husband won't be living her until January 2019. I have what I need to prove the marriage, but since he won't be obtaining his anmeldung, I'm not sure if I can still claim tax class III. 

Thank you!!

1 minute ago, Phil C said:

Hello!

I will be registering soon and have a question regarding my tax class. I am married, however my husband won't be living her until January 2019. I have what I need to prove the marriage, but since he won't be obtaining his anmeldung, I'm not sure if I can still claim tax class III. 

Thank you!!

Afraid not.  Your husband/wife must be living in Germany before the authorities will accept this for tax purposes.  

However, if you can get them to come over slightly early in December 2018 and then register them as living in Germany before the end of the year then you can actually claim as being married for the whole year when you do your tax claim for 2018.

To begin with thank you to everyone who has already provided advice on Steuerklassen. It has been very helpful.   I have not however found what we are looking for.

My wife returned to Germany this last year with our two daughters.  She also has taken in her aging mother who can no longer care for herself. In addition, we have an au pair that assists with her mother who also lives in the home.  I live and work in California (USA) and travel to Germany throughout the year. 

We currently rent a home in Munich and are looking to buy in the near term -- since we keep a home in Germany that I can travel to at anytime, could we qualify for Class 3?

We would like to be Class 3, but I’m afraid we would only qualify for Class 1 or Class 2.  I am new to the German Tax system and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance.