Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting Married Outdoors in Berlin

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm reeeealllyyyy sorry if this topic has been raised already but I have tried to look, and couldn't find the specific answers I'm after or they're a bit old and I'd like some up-to-date info, apologies if I've missed this somewhere (feel free to let me know and point me in the right direction!).

My partner and I (both British) want to get married in Berlin next summer (we're registered in Berlin). We're not religious, therefore would only want a civil ceremony and would like to do this outside (we have a venue in mind). I understand that in order for it to be legal in Germany, then we need to get a certificate from the Standesamt, and I was wondering if it's possible to ask somebody from there to marry us at our chosen location (in English if possible, otherwise we could also get a translator), or if we must do everything at the Standesamt first and then have another 'fake' ceremony outside?

If we have to do it first at the Standesamt, can we then hire somebody to marry us outside later with all of our family and friends? I'd rather do everything together and all at once, so we don't need to have two ceremonies ideally.

Any help you can give would be very much appreciated! :)

On 2/23/2017, 11:22:45, natlunt said:

we could also get a translator), or if we must do everything at the Standesamt first and then have another 'fake' ceremony outside?

I'm currently researching this myself. You need to get married at the Standesamt, and then you can hire a 'Freier Redner' to do the 'fake ceremony'. 

Have you met with the Standesamt about the paperwork needed to get married in this country? They strongly suggest on their website (all Berlin Bezirks) that you meet with them to discuss paperwork. We did, and the amount of paperwork / bureaucratic hassle was astonishing (even by German standards - we are a British German couple and we live in Berlin). Because of that, we decided to get married in the USA, where all you need to do is present your passport (regardless of your nationality). We were going anyway. So now we're looking into 'Freier Redner' options for our fake ceremony. There seem to be a lot advertising online, and I'm in the process of contacting them.

@Brockman Thanks a lot for your reply, I'll definitely look into a Freier Redner then. We haven't been to the Standesamt yet as we're not getting married until July 2018, but if there's so much paperwork we'll definitely go sooner rather than later - thanks, and good luck to you!