English language activities for mother tongue children Berlin

5 posts in this topic

Hi, my German partner and I have two young children (2 and 5 years old.) We are looking for other English speaking families in north Berlin who would be interested in meeting up to promote the English language experiences of our children through walks in the forest, sports or play activities or events etc.

Please contact me if you are interested!

johnandrewtyson@aol.com 

Hi there, I am looking for other English/German speaking familes, too. We moved to Berin in January. My son is turning 3 in May. I am German and my son's dad lives in the US, so I am trying to make sure my son hears as much English as possible. 

Let me know if you are interested,

Pia

If you are willing to travel to Prenzlauer Berg on a Saturday morning, we have a weekly meetup/class for families who speak English (and not only Brits): https://britishsaturdayclubberlin.wordpress.com/ We have two groups at the moment - one 9:15 - 10:15 for kids who can walk but want their parents present (generally 18 months - 3 years), and one 10:30 - 12:00 for kids who can stay in the room by themselves (generally 3 - 7 years). We have bilingual group leaders who encourage the kids to speak English while reading books, playing games, and doing arts and crafts. During the second group, most of the parents hang out in the kitchen and chat.

If you can't find people nearby and you could use a break, there is the american website starfall.com, even the free parts of which have a lot to mesmerize a pre-schooler  and will get your child speaking American. But beware, your child probably will probably learn how to read just by watching  at three years of age  so if you don't want your child to know reading before school starts then you probably want to avoid it.

Hi everyone, thanks for the various posts and advice. We're in Heiligensee, near to Tegel forest and lake, not near to where most of you guys seem to be, but I'm confident we'll meet up sometime, possibly at the Saturday club (are these activities free by the way?) If I felt there was enough interest around here I would organise something like that too...