Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Apartment block rubbish bins being wrongly filled

15 posts in this topic

We have had some new bins delivered last week - (used to use the hotel skips -one for paper and one for everything else - easy)

So now we have the blue one for paper, black for other, brown for bio and yellow bags for packaging!! I have no problem with that but on going out to the bins they have been filled with anything (I'm sounding like a german I know). What should I do now???

Should I contact the landlord and let him know? (not sure if my german is up to that)

Do you get fined (like everything else) for doing such shameful things?

Just want to know anyones view on my position!

I know this one will degenerate as I did a search first and it cropped up a few times on rules I hate

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Andy

It wouldn't do any harm to tell the landlord, I don't know how many

parties share these bins but they should have all been informed

if the rubbish collection/sorting has been changed.

Are they meant for just you to use or for all the other people in the building too?? I have known many Germans to put a padlock on their bin so that nobody else can use it to 'dispose' of their extra rubbish. Had to put a padlock on ours in our old house because the landlady's senile mother was taking stuff out of our bin and eating it! :o

The problem with the bins beng wrongly filled is, that the bin men can (and do) refuse to collect them. This happened us a few times, we had some real pigs living in our house, the kept throwing dirty nappies, food, sanitary towels etc... in all the bins (whether the packaging one or the paper one - which ever was emptiest), the bin men stopped collection and after a while we couldn't open the yard door cos the rubbish was piling up (they then started throwing their rubbis out of the window from the 3rd Floor") after several calls to the landlord, he arranged to get the rubbish removed, which cost us extra money (the landlord doesn't have to pay for it, as the rubbish removal is a part of the Betriebskosten in the rent)

Once the rubbish was removed, it started all over again,and soon we had rats in our yard...

...needless to say, we moved out - no way we were staying it that house with such pigs...

There's only 4 parties using the bins as it is a six flat apartment but 2 are empty!

And we were informed - at least I assume so as it was in german :D

I am just wondering what actually happens if rubbish is mixed up when they come to collect - do they refuse to take it away? Or can they impose fines etc as I know it'll be split between us all even though I had nothing to do with it!

I am just wondering what actually happens if rubbish is mixed up when they come to collect - do they refuse to take it away?

Yeah, that's what they very often do.

I think that depends on where you are, here they leave the yellow sacks or Bio bins

if they see anything in them which doesn't belong in them, I believe they have

inspectors in Dormund who go round raking about in bins (must be a great job :doh: )

and they can fine you, but I guess it depends on your local authority

Yep, they refuse to take the gelben Säcke here too if they see anything that doesn't belong in there. Another favourite is old computer monitors that are left out with Sperrmüll. My landlady's daughter-in-law refuses to sort out her rubbish and just sticks everything into the black Restmüll bin. I also saw a documentary on TV about rubbish inspectors who go around inspecting bins, but they issue a warning first and only fine those who repeatedly ignore the rules.

We have just booked Sperrmüll and on the form it had "monitor" which we ticked as we have one to get rid of. Does that mean they will leave it?

Dunno. What do you mean by:

it had "monitor"

?

Presumably, they're just wanting to know if there's anything that will require special treatment so that they're suitably prepared.

We are provided with postcards by the rathaus which has all the items listed for electrical müll and another card for everything else. When we required bulk rubbish to be removed we fill it in and post it off then they post back a date that they will collect. On the electrical one we have PC monitor and so we ticked it!

My landlady's daughter-in-law refuses to sort out her rubbish and just sticks everything into the black Restmüll bin.

not to smart, cuz for the Restmüll you have to pay by weight (by weight? for the weight? anyway, the heavier the more expensive)

Andy I would definately ring the landlord and tell so that he knows is wasn't you!!!

Maybe I am thinking like a German now :(

When I lived in Babenhausen it cost us around 200 or so per year for a small garbage bin. But when we bought our own place we have 3 1000l containers for a grand total of 134 per year per unit. we have 3 of them and they don't get full very often.

When we did the sparmüll thingy they took everything but the bathroom toilet. That I dumped in late at night in the 1000l garbage cans but I made sure it was at the beginning of the week so it got buried.

I am just wondering what actually happens if rubbish is mixed up when they come to collect - do they refuse to take it away? Or can they impose fines etc as I know it'll be split between us all even though I had nothing to do with it!

As Neil mentioned, increasingly local authorities are "investigating" rubbish and imposing fines if something's wrong. So if somebody is chucking junk in your bin you should register this immediately with the local authority and the police. There will probably be an argument as to who is responsible, but if you don't report it somewhere, worst case you could find yourself having to pay up!