Red button is gone! What happened?

98 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, AlexTr said:

I keep clicking it but nothing happens!

It's designed to give you tendonitis (Sehnenscheidenentzündung in German)

34 minutes ago, Atrag said:

I think something needs to be done about the 'popular post' feature now. On some threads nearly every post has a heart on it (https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/367691-migrants-accused-of-burning-down-refugee-centre-in-ramadan-row-over-nutella-could-go-free/?page=1 this one for example). Maybe it could be limited to the 2 or so with the most votes?

Oh right, that's true!

Also, there seems to be - instead of a negging slaughterhouse of perceived enemies - instead a huge wave of mutual greenings going on. If it keeps up like that, all the busybodies will have 100,000 greens and win the Internet... over TTers that maybe get greened for saying something amusing or helpful.

Looks like the dupe accounts are still handy after all! :D

15 minutes ago, Metall said:

If it keeps up like that, all the busybodies will have 100,000 greens and win the Internet... over TTers that maybe get greened for saying something amusing or helpful.

Nah, I will then execute a script which puts them back to -100,000 and then they can start all over again ?. Well, at least it keeps them off the streets.

Thank you Mr Mod whoever you are.

The introduction of that hateful vindictive button in the genesis of TT (I was one of the first in 2002) is quite possibly one of the shittiest features undertaken. Back in school uniform days, the lack of points meant you could say something with a dollop, no mountain of irony in it - one of the genius features English has is understatement and overstatement. It was only nonsense such as "Should women be forbidden from smoking?", purely to gain a silly response. Switched on users knew it was simply silliness.

We lost at least one nice guy on this forum over this - Eurovol - and I am sure it caused him some offline stress and unhappiness.

3 hours ago, Atrag said:

I think something needs to be done about the 'popular post' feature now. On some threads nearly every post has a heart

Maybe the threshold for the "popular post" label on a post could be higher than just 5 greenies?

Like 10 or around it?

I've noticed, since the demise of the red button, people are actually 'Communicating' about their disagreements, rather than just hit the red button and consider Game Over. Healthy communication win. B)

23 hours ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

I'm happy to let the busybodies win the internet by giving each other greens.  I consider it an excellent use of their time and capacity for intellectual contribution.  Let a thousand greenies bloom.

I am a bit disappointed here, as I really thought EI out of all people would get it. He seemed smart but what do I know.

The green button was not the problem it was the abuse of the red one.

But that's what I said precisely.  The green button is not the problem.  I literally said that it was excellent.

I looked at my account the other day and  was surprised to see that my rating had dropped by about 50 points, seemingly overnight, without any activity on my behalf.

I thought it could have been some kind of 'cyber attack' caused by an unpopular post I had made questioning the motives of one of the prolific posters here. Then I thought, no.... no one would be so petty as to attack such a one as me...

And who cares about ratings anyway??  Not me I can assure you...

So all water under the bridge and the pen, having writ, moves on.

2 hours ago, Acton said:

I looked at my account the other day and  was surprised to see that my rating had dropped by about 50 points, seemingly overnight, without any activity on my behalf.

But how is that even possible, now that the red button is gone??

3 hours ago, Acton said:

I thought it could have been some kind of 'cyber attack' caused by an unpopular post I had made questioning the motives of one of the prolific posters here. Then I thought, no... no one would be so petty as to attack such a one as me...

And who cares about ratings anyway??  Not me I can assure you...

So all water under the bridge and the pen, having writ, moves on.

But you cared enough about it to make comment!...

On 2/22/2017, 6:55:09, robinson100 said:

Seriously though, why not just get rid of the whole reputation thing altogether?

1m times this.

On 2/24/2017, 6:06:16, Eupathic Impulse said:

But that's what I said precisely.  The green button is not the problem.  I literally said that it was excellent.

No it's not.

We all know there are many people on here will get a positive point on their posts no matter what content is in that post.

Get rid of the whole rep thing and if people need some ego brushing just put a post count up on their profile.

I´d like to give your team, Gillingham, the red button, Keleth! They beat my Southend United today...a real bogey team....STOP IT!:angry::D

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

I´d like to give your team, Gillingham, the red button, Keleth! They beat my Southend United today...a real bogey team...STOP IT!:angry::D

1st win since start of Dec makes it all the sweeter :)