Bavaria plans burqa ban

522 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

P.S. - There's a website called historyofcircumcision.net. Who knew?

Sounds like a reliable source.. also make sure to check historyofalienships.net ;)

1 hour ago, dannys said:

Excuse my ignorance Sir,

In the last 50 years, 
Have you ever seen a bunch of nuns blow up a mall or a school bus, throw a gay to his death from a roof top, stone women to death, choose a jihad way of life, educating their children to hate the "western world" (even while living and happily feeding from a western country), force their agenda by using violence and terror  etc.. etc.. ?

Now you should have a better perspective.

Just saying..

What you say? ;)

18_nunsploitation.jpg.c09a1a21629265226f

1 hour ago, dannys said:

force their agenda by using violence and terror  etc.. etc.. ?

I went to a Catholic boarding school.

Nuns using violence and terror? Check.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

What if people just didn't give a shit what other people wear?

Security issue.

In many countries it is not allowed to wear a mask in public, and burqa and niqab fall under this category.

Hijab is fine though.

6 hours ago, vmelchers said:

I used to be for individual freedoms but now I am for the ban.

I cannot be a feminist fighting for my right to equal pay, enjoy the Vagina monologues and admire Beyonce in a leotard and at the same time make an excuse for the burka / niqab knowing they are considered by many muslim women as a tool of opression. 

The West is getting a bit confused on this topic. Like if I am against the bikqab and burka I would be a racist. But that is not true.

In the women's march protests after Trump there were posters of a woman wearing an american flag as a Headscarf. Now that is confusion. Also the swedish women government officials wearing a headscarf in Iran was another mis-step in my opinion.

You're not racist (mainly because burqas have nothing to do with race) but consistent.  I know legions of women who want to be treated fairly in the workplace but they do not consider themselves feminists because they don't want to be associated with those that say that the west is a rape culture but then turn a blind eye to what's happening to women in the Middle East.  The Swedish "feminist" in Iran is just another from a long list of examples.

3 hours ago, dannys said:

If I am a western women, I would not move to Iran and dress with a Bikini.

If you are a western woman, you would not move to Texas and dress with a bikini either. No kidding.

And if you meant the beach only, there there are handful of Muslim countries where you can do it. Dubai is a Muslim emirate, but it wants the money of western tourists, so they relaxed the rules for non-Muslims: you can get alcohol and go to beach in a bikini without problems. The same applies to Egypt: a conservative Muslim country, but tourism from the West is a major part of economy, so the rules in tourist places are softer.

Bavaria also sees the influx of tourist money from Middle East, so they will not introduce such bans for tourists.

Money is the best means of intercultural interaction.

5 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Dubai is a Muslim emirate, but it wants the money of western tourists, so they relaxed the rules for non-Muslims: you can get alcohol and go to beach in a bikini without problems. The same applies to Egypt: a conservative Muslim country, but tourism from the West is a major part of economy

You could include Abu Dhabi in that list.

Saudis go to all of those places to party as well.

2 hours ago, dannys said:

The main reason why many non-jews did this (and some still do) is due to medical reasons 

It is quite amazing how long such unfounded myths can be perpetuated for long after medicical science has confined them to the bin

the truth is no medical society in the world recommends it. This invasive procedure carries serious health risks, including infection, hemorrhage, surgical mishap, and death

No matter how much Muslims and Jews want this to be true there is absolutely no real evidence for any benefit of circumcision.

A burqa ban has nothing to do with fashion, it's about how far society must tolerate traditions which are oppressive, or are at least seen to be so, or qualify as grievous bodily harm in the name of religion.

1 hour ago, LeChamois said:

A burqa ban has nothing to do with fashion, it's about how far society must tolerate traditions which are oppressive, or are at least seen to be so, or qualify as grievous bodily harm in the name of religion.

My opinion: this is not always means of oppression, it is often just overprotecting husband. It's an extreme version of our „do not walk alone after dark, do not walk in certain neighbourhoods“ which sometimes is transformed into „do not walk“.

This „do not walk“ mentality is just as bad as burqa, but since it is not so obviously visible, it is not condemned.

Sometimes this, however, also illustrates jealousy. Don't we have control freaks husbands? We do. But again, we do not condemn this, because western control freaks are not so visible.

One has to remember this and condemn not only visible signs of oppression or pseudoprotection, but also non visible ones.

1 hour ago, LeChamois said:

A burqa ban has nothing to do with fashion

Lighten up. I know what this thread is about and what it is not about.

12 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

One has to remember this and condemn not only visible signs of oppression or pseudoprotection, but also non visible ones.

People do condemn non visible oppression.  If you started a thread about control freak husbands or abuse of people I don't think you would find everyone saying it was ok. There are agency to help families in conflict and I am happy that such thing are there for people. But visible oppression should not be ok either. This thread is about the burqa so that is what people are talking about.

I'm pretty sure there are millions more of non-visible victims of abuse walking around than the perceived visible ones. And most of them are too afraid to avail themselves of services offered.

Been there. Done that. Survived to talk about it.

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm pretty sure there are millions of non-visible victims of abuse walking around than the perceived visible ones. And most of them are too afraid to avail themselves of services offered.

Been there. Done that. Survived to talk about it.

Again no one is doubting that. No one is saying that is right.  But that is not the point of the thread.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Excuse me. I thought some were talking about burqas being a sign of abuse.

Not exclusively...The title is

Bavaria plans burqa ban...

1 hour ago, programdirector said:

This thread is about the burqa so that is what people are talking about.

Well, to be pedantic, this thread is about Bavarian state law banning burqas in certain public buildings. Then it was extended to burqa ban in general, then to reasons for such ban. Methinks, this is legitimate discussion.

Of of the reasons is security. The other is women oppression. Why not discuss it?

9 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Well, to be pedantic, this thread is about Bavarian state law banning burqas in certain public buildings. Then it was extended to burqa ban in general, then to reasons for such ban. Methinks, this is legitimate discussion.

Of of the reasons is security. The other is women oppression. Why not discuss it?

Never wrote in any place it shouldn't be addressed. All I said is we were talking about the ban because that is what the thread is about and FF seemed to think since we were talking about the burqa we didn't care about any other oppression. So I didn't say it can't be discussed but to imply that because someone is talking about one subject, which is the subject of the post, that they don't care about other subjects is just silly.

And after thinking about it I agree it should not be a burqa ban. It should be a face covering ban. You should not be allowed in public with your face covered. No motorcycle helmets in public building, no balaclava in public buildings and so on. That is the correct way the law should be written.

20 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

I went to a Catholic boarding school.

Nuns using violence and terror? Check.

You are still alive to tell the tale, aren't you ? ;)

You are much luckier then the people that were handled by the type of rebels I was referring to