Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trying to diagnose washing machine problem

20 posts in this topic

I'd really appreciate a bit of advice regarding our washing machine before we call out our repair man who usually dooms everything to be replaced.

I found a random screw in the door rubber front lip.  None of us in the household believe that this could have been in a pocket etc.  One wash later, there was an occasional loud knocking sound during spinning.  From experience of previous machines, loud knocking during the spin cycle spells the end of the machine according to previous repairers (bearings etc). The problem never rights itself and only gets worse. 

Is it feasible that a lose screw from the assembly behind/around the drum could work its way to the door rubber lip cavity? If that could be so, I'm hoping that by not using the machine since, it can be easily fixed and no more damage has been done. 

Any advice would be very much appreciated. :)

How old is the machine?  If > 10 years just get a new one (just our experience of how long they last with us).

The good news is - they cost the same now as they did 10 years ago!

Agree with HEM, washing machines are only designed to last 5/6 years these days, if you get longer, you're lucky.  It may cost more to repair it than to replace it.

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in

@emkay Is it a machine screw or a, oh, hell, look at this picture and tell me which kind of screw it is and what your machine make and model are. The least I can do is tell you what's up with your machine after your crappy car experience. Also, to answer your question, no part that would affect the spinning of your machine would have any way of getting a screw worked into your machine unless it is part of the drum assembly, at which point you would also have water flowing out. That is why I want to know what kind of screw it is.

screws-1.jpg

52 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@emkay Is it a machine screw or a, oh, hell, look at this picture and tell me which kind of screw it is and what your machine make and model are. The least I can do is tell you what's up with your machine after your crappy car experience. Also, to answer your question, no part that would affect the spinning of your machine would have any way of getting a screw worked into your machine unless it is part of the drum assembly, at which point you would also have water flowing out. That is why I want to know what kind of screw it is.

screws-1.jpg

This is the screw in question...Philips ie cross thread. Could have mysteriously landed in the wash just like socks disappear. Not really likely though the subsequent knocking could be a coincidence.  Not much a believer in coincidence. It's a 5-6 year old Siemens E14-14 front loader and soooo hope it isn't doomed. Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_4256.JPG.e8348a672d059ef3bbfe1cddffd

@emkay Okay, so that's a sheet metal screw. I assume you have your machine on one of those pads. Is it wet?

Just now, AlexTr said:

@emkay Okay, so that's a sheet metal screw. I assume you have your machine on one of those pads. Is it wet?

Don't know what you mean abouts pads (the machine was new and in place when we bought the house 5 years ago) though just going to have a look if anything is wet.

@emkay Normally in rented flats you are required to place the washing machine on a noise buffering rubber mat. 

I just tried to post a bunch of questions, but I think I know where this screw came from. Take out your soap dispenser. Be careful. It will have leftover water and soap in it. I think you'll find this screw is from that area. That's why it wound up inside the machine. It followed the regular soap path down in. This looks suspiciously similar to the machine screws around the soap dispenser on my AEG.

What if you send your photo and explanation to the maker?

Our Miele Waschtrockner is still going strong 14 yrs. later with 2 repairs (one my fault).

@fraufruit I am with you there, but it depends on how much laundry is being done. My TV will die before yours because it's always on. More kids, more dirt, more wash, earlier death. However, I do not think that is so here. I think she @emkay found the screw and then became very sensitive to all noises from the machine. It could also just be off balance which is easy enough to fix with a level and the right tools (normally screwdriver or wrench - in a pinch, a shim)

I think she is hearing the pounding from hell and it is something else. Mine bangs a little with I have one big thing like a rug in it.

No pads required in our house. My machine wouldn't fit under the countertop with a pad.

Yeah, my landlady is pretty old school and we still have noise prohibition from 8pm to 8am and between 1pm and 3pm. 

So, last thing, @emkay, it's really important that you diagnose NOW the condition of your door gasket. I shot a Packstation card through ours and didn't figure it out until the third flood. Put a rag over your finger and run your finger through the groove of your gasket to dry it out. Then, run your bare finger through the groove to make sure there are no anomalies like nicks, cuts, or, god forbid, the 7cm tear like I made with the Packstation card. There will always be drain holes of some type at six o'clock on the gasket. FURTHERMORE, drain your pump and check your cleanout basket for other metal garbage. If you're finding other metal there, it's time to open the machine up and have a look inside.

Thank you @fraufruit and @AlexTr, I just had to bow out of the topic a while as kiddo came home from Spain...poorly with a cold and seemingly was only fed mostly cake for the past week. Husband with man flu accidentally left his briefcase containing many valuables in a work car. My bad car selling/buying experience all but fogotten.  All now have decent dinner behind them so I'll have another look at the WM after all necessary meds dispensed. How come mums don't get as poorly with viruses?  Thanks for all the advice, it's very much appreciated. 

That is from your pocket, Its not a washing machine part, No way would it end up in the lip of the door seal if it was things from your pockets do. Check your filter if you have one for other screws. 30 years fixing washing machines. 

On 2/17/2017, 8:39:23, fraufruit said:

Surely it's a front loader. Where do you come from?

:D

Top loading machines can get out of balance with clothes distribution going to one side.  That can cause the basket to bang against the sides during the spin cycle.  Both top and side are sold in DL.

If the OP experiences the noise without any clothes (as a test), then it might be any of many issues (bearings, gears).