Accidentally washed a load in washing machine with silica gel pack

4 posts in this topic

I accidentally washed a load in my washing machine with fairly large silica gel pack, maybe a 100g pack.

It was in my sleeping bag storage sack and I forgot that it was in there before adding the sack to the washing load.

The pack and the load feel a bit sticky. Don't know if that's from the contents of the pack, or just detergent that was re-release by the pack.

Anybody made a similar mistake?  What would the silica gel do to the washing machine and fabrics?

Just wash again at a higher temperature if the fabric allows. Twice for good measure. No fabric conditioner. I'm no fabric nor washing machine expert though I doubt very much that either would be damaged by silica gel. 

I once dropped a dishwasher gel cap into washing machine.(packets were same colour!). Result- stains on all the wash. Could not get them out.

Agree with elk- with silica packs- repeat washing.

6 hours ago, emkay said:

Just wash again at a higher temperature if the fabric allows. Twice for good measure. No fabric conditioner. I'm no fabric nor washing machine expert though I doubt very much that either would be damaged by silica gel. 

When I had this happen to me few years ago, I did exactly what @emkay said, plus the option that says ''Wasser +''. If you're worried about the washing machine, just run it once with some anti-limescale tabs.