No more online check-in for flights to the US?

47 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Jonny said:

@klubbnika, I'm assuming it's just coincidence that your reputation is -666 at the moment :ph34r:

NO, IT IS NOT A COINCIDENCE!!!

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

7 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Quite easy: it's zero. I also can estimate the number of ISIS terrorists they border guards will catch: zero.

It's all show, a theater. The whole purpose is the ensure that „something is done“ and get people calm down. Those who do the real job, they work behind the scenes, their job is invisible and they do not really want it to be visible. That's why.

You want real security ?

Then move the checks to just before the plane is boarding and let those checking

security fly with the machine. If they are on the plane with the passengers they checked -

then they have a vested interest to get it right.

Used to be the case for certain destinations.

Can't stop carnage at the airport though.

15 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I have an experience of arriving 15 minutes before departure. Fortunately, no queues at the security, so I won that race. But I don't recommend it: you need to run really fast and have excellent navigation skills.

Before departure? SUrely you mean before gates closed? 15 minutes before departiure usually everyone is in the plane! After gates closed, which is usually 45 mminutes before deaprture time, nobody is allowed on the plane... I've experienced his a few  times. The gates closed, but the plane is still there awaiting departure, but they still don't öet you board.

4 hours ago, Uncle Nick said:

My father was very chaotic when it cam to travelling, I can't remember how many planes and ferries etc. that we missed because of this. I woud rather be far too early than miss my flight!

Ms son used to be like this. I took to remionding him again and again to set two or three alarms if it was an early morning flight, or to calling him three hours befre to make sure he was on his way to airport. I think he finally got the message -- he hasn't missed a fight in years.

9 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Quite easy: it's zero. I also can estimate the number of ISIS terrorists they border guards will catch: zero.

It's all show, a theater. The whole purpose is the ensure that „something is done“ and get people calm down. Those who do the real job, they work behind the scenes, their job is invisible and they do not really want it to be visible. That's why.

Do we really need that in Europe? Frankfurt and Munich airports are just as safe as Ben Gurion, arriving 4 hours in advance will not bring any more safety there.

Come on...I am sure the number is >0

ISIS and other terrorists which have been ID'd are recorded in databases shared with the airlines and our partners around the world. They would not be so stupid to simply show up at the airport or buy tickets but they would and do under fake names with forged passports. 

This new EU directive although toothless is a good start and better than nothing. The real value lies in the deterent effect and AFIK there have been very few takeover hijackings involving groups of terrorists armed with weapons (box cutters/shoe/underwear) bombs since implementing the extended checks in the U.S.

The unfiltered uncontrolled influx of economic migrants masquerading as refugees is the crux of the problem. Until we confront and accept this fact no amount of half-baked regulations at the airport will stop a determined attacker.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Before departure? SUrely you mean before gates closed? 15 minutes before departiure usually everyone is in the plane! After gates closed, which is usually 45 mminutes before deaprture time, nobody is allowed on the plane... I've experienced his a few  times. The gates closed, but the plane is still there awaiting departure, but they still don't öet you board.

Yes, 15 minutes before departure and yes, everyone was in the plane except me. The lady at information contacted the plane staff for me, so they knew I was coming and waited for me at the gate. I jumped into the plane just a couple of minutes before departure.

That with 45 minutes is when you have to drive to the plane with the bus, but my plane was luckily parked at the terminal.

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

You want real security ?

Then move the checks to just before the plane is boarding and let those checking

security fly with the machine. If they are on the plane with the passengers they checked -

then they have a vested interest to get it right.

Used to be the case for certain destinations.

Can't stop carnage at the airport though.

I think this is the case with El Al airline: they have their own security staff separate from that of the airport. I hate Israeli security as it is about questioning and questioning you and waiting until you get nervous, so kind of psychological security. But it works for them as they claim. 

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I think one must make an in person appointment at selected U.S. airports in order to apply for Global Entry. It has never worked out with my flight schedules/destinations. Or has that changed?

I did my interview in London in November.  They were stationed there for interviews the whole month.  Keep an eye out for the announcements as I suspect they'll be back.

Now that I only fly to the U.S. twice a year since my parents have passed, I don't need to spend the money. I just plan on spending 13 - 15 hours traveling each time and that is it.

I was going much more often before.