New problems on old laptop driving us crazy!

96 posts in this topic

On 15.2.2017, 10:08:01, fraufruit said:

The ENG-DE setting should stay once chosen. Once in a blue moon mine changes and I have to change it back. Doesn't happen often enough to be a problem.

You can quickly change that setting at any time by holding down alt and hitting the left shift button as standard shortkey btw.

Under right click - settings (on that DE/EN symbol) you can also set this to another key combination, or - if using more than just those two - both add other keyboard settings and add shortkeys for particular language settings.

I have managed to set the language permanently to DEU. Better than the keyboard cnstantly shifting back to UK. 
It was shifting back to UK even though when I entered everything as German to begin with. 

Usually it's applications with preferred language settings (e.g. Office or a browser installed with English language settings) that are shifting that setting "randomly".

In theory one can remove languages too in the settings.

so what's with this edge thingee. I used Firefox or Chrome in the past. Edge come pre installed.

On 2/16/2017, 8:03:25, Krieg said:

What I said it did not make sense was buying consumer hardware with old software.   Would you buy an Android Smartphone running Kitkat today?

Apples and oranges, my friend. 

Especially when the "old" software is not actually "old" - its still being maintained, released, and updated by Microsoft.  Its not like I'm installing Windows 3.1 on it. 

ok I am returning one of the laptops today. I haven't done much on it but I am registered on and need to dergister. Do I have to revert to factory settings? I have logged out of my mail, bank, Toytown, facebook  etc . But I am still "angemeldet! with my name on the laptop itself. How do I get off it? I suppose I do have to revert to factory settngs... uhg-

Usually there's a "recovery" partition on Windows machines with the Windows installer on it. It would look like an ordinary drive, sometimes D:\

Do you see something like that? There should be an installer in there to reinstall Windows and wipe everything out.

I am so scared of fiddling around with it -- I don't even know where to look for these things! Truly, nothing frightens me as much as software instructions.

5 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Truly, nothing frightens me as much as software instructions.

Justifiable.  The trouble is that such instructions are rarely validated by an idiot (=normal user) and have been flown over by an expert who knew what to do without looking at the instructions - which usually omit some vital but "obvious" step (says he who spends his life writing internal installation documentation for complex hardware products).

Since I've deleted/logged out of everything sensitive think I'll just return it as is. I suppse the fact that you need a password to get in won't bother them?

I hate to be the one to tell you this but, from my minimal knowledge of the data recovery possibilities open to the tech-savvy, nothing sensitive you've deleted or logged out of is actually gone out of your harddisk forever.

To do that sucessfully someone who knows their way around the laptop's BIOS and the W10 registry and other history logging processes would need to completely flush the machine of all traces of your activities.

I once bought a used ThinkPad from a fairly tech-savvy TTer who assured me he had wiped his data and done a fresh reinstall with a dual boot Windows and Linux systems option only to find (6 months later) about 2 years worth of his private family photo albums still stored in the machine.

If you don't feel confident then, before turning it in, either contact someone like TTer @TallGuy for advice or at least read a few of the different (some are written in simple to follow mannner) how-to instructions* you can find on many of the Windows 10 user websites. Just beware of those who tell you to download any unknown software to help you analyze or delete stuff.

*google "How to clear all my data from a Lenovo <ModelType+Number> running Windows 10 OS" for links.

2B

Thanks -- luckily I had not used it much at all and there is nothing sensitive on it really. Also I had not installed Office on that laptop. No photos or anything -- I only had it two weeks on trial. I'm not sure yet if to return the other laptop or not -- depends on how the usb lamp works. I did find a Yoga for a reasonable proce with backlght I wozld replace it with but it's 100€ more expensve. You can tell if they are backlit as there's a littöe light icon on the space bar!

So I returned the two last laptops and now have a Lenovo I like; just like the last one but with keyboard backlight -- AND -- and this is cool -- fingerprint recognition instead of password for startup. I REALLY like that. So now I'm satisfied. It's a nice 14" Yoga and since I like the last one in every way except for keyboard, I know it's a keeper. What annoyed me at the setup is that I again chose keyboard language German and apps English, and still it set Englsh keyboard as default. I've changed that. Anyway those are the teething problems. I like it.

Like I mentioned, I gave my old MacPro to my daughter and she is using it for uni work while her desktop is being repaired. A couple of months ago I had  a massive problem when a manuscript I was writing -- about 90000 words -- suddenly turned into countrless rows of stars. There was a bit of a panic (more than a bit!) but somehow it sorted itself out -- I copied and pasted it into a new document and also sent it to myself and at some point the words came back. All was well for a while.

Then a few days ago my daughter had the same problem with uni work. About 2000 words turned into stars.  The trick I tried didn't work. She lost that document.

She continued to use the laptop and yesterday it happened again -- two hours of work turned into stars. She did an internet search and somehow was able to recover it.

It's clear that the laptop has a problem. Is it a virus? Is it the whole laptop or just MS Office? I definitely want to deinstall Office and reinstall it -- would that be enough?

Do we have to chuck the laptop, or never again use it for Office? There have not been any problems with other programmes, apart from it being slow.

I am in Freising with her right now and hope to sort it out this pm.

In cases like this I tend to say..

'Goddam in Jim, I am a computer consultant, not a green grocer'...

55 minutes ago, Uncle Nick said:

That sounds like it could be a quote from Star Trek.

Ye canna b' serious Uncle Nick....