New problems on old laptop driving us crazy!

96 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FunnyLookingForeigner said:

PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Computer)

I've not come across this before.  Brilliant!

1 hour ago, starkebogen said:

Language and keyboards are a bit of a problem with Windows 10.  

I have a Windows 10 desktop with a German keyboard. [..] What is interesting that one of the other Windows user accounts (which is used infrequently) has a password that contains the letter "y".  Entering the correct password results in a password fail - it needs the "z" key to be used!

Let's assume you have a computer where the  default installation is "German keyboard". Then, you have three different users on it, Antoine uses French as keyboard, Boris uses Russian as keyboard, and Charley uses English as Keyboard.

Guess what kind of a keyboard is set up after a reboot: It is the German one. The Computer won't switch to English, Russian or French before somebody has logged in, it doesn't possess a crystal ball as in "Oh, it is Boris who's about to log in so let's be nice and offer him Russian as a keyboard during the log in procedure".

Your assumption  "Language and keyboards are a bit of a problem with Windows 10" is based on not understanding the situation. The behaviour of your computer is quite fine, that's by design.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

Why would something order a laptop today with Windows 7 instead of Windows 10? I assume it is the "Windows 7 was better" mentality. In most cases it is just people refusing to accept change.

Or maybe because „people“ do not want to be software testers for free. Although I'm a Linux user, the tendency is among all OS producers is to release untested software and let users complain about mistakes. I for one use the OS from 2014. I used to have the most fresh version installed and then even unreleased versions, but at some point I wanted „Ruhe“ instead of fighting all the bugs.

Give me a break. I am a Linux user AND developer and I think Windows 10 is one of the finest OSes ever made.

Saying that Windows 10 was released untested and they waited for the users to complain is basically top level nonsense.

47 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Give me a break. I am a Linux user AND developer and I think Windows 10 is one of the finest OSes ever made.

Developers are always out of touch with reality. They don't understand why people use „outdated software“ (=older than 1 month) and do not install all the latests upgrades. You can't understand that there are more important things in life than upgrading the operating system.

Some industries still use Windows XP. Just because it fucking works.

This madness when your teapot automatically installs updates without asking, when will it stop?

Windows 7 is 8 years old and its mainstream support ended long time ago. The extended support will last another 3 years. Yes, there is people still using it, I use it at work, because big corporations can't change OS just like that. But the question is why a consumer would like to buy a NEW system right now with Windows 7?

And yes, there is still crazy people using Windows XP, just like there are people using cars without airbags, no ABS and no disc brakes. The question would be if it is smart to build a new car with those old specs?

If software development was like car industry, the I'd say you're right: no reason not to buy the latest system. Unfortunately, this is not the case: software developers introduce like quadratic steering wheel, put brake pedal on the car roof and to start a car you have to press the button somewhere under your seat. And when you are angry about these design decisions, they say: but don't you want airbags and ABS?

P.S. This doesn't apply to car board computers, they are ridiculously old for no reason.

If you are not connecting your system to the Internet you might use old legacy systems for long periods as long as you still find suitable hardware to intall it, like it happens in most of the manufacturing computerized systems.

But as long as you are online you need at the bare minimum security updates, which won't exist for an out of life product. You might need as well new javas and one or other framework for your browsers and apps here and there, which probably won't exist for your archaic OS.

But feel free to continue your nonsense, we are already getting used to it.

Yup, I agree with the security updates, especially for the general user who may not be fully aware of how to mitigate the risk of infection (fake news sites, anyone?). I did like Windows 7, but I tend to update as soon as soon as stuff is available, and am a Windows Insider as well. There are often problems, but if you have a backup system and know what you're doing, it's fun to be a tester.

Plus, Windows 10, as the final version of Windows, is constantly updated and upgraded, and so far, it's been pretty good.

Well, imagine that every months doctors caught you on the street and did forced vaccinations against malaria and other infections just in case you travel anywhere.

And if you resist, you are called „anti vaxxer“ and Luddite and, and, and.

This is what I think about security updates. I had to install special software to stop my Android phone constantly harassing me with their updates despite having the most recent version. You developers do not understand: I'd rather take a risk that my system can be infected (I do backups every day) than get my computer constantly harassing me. I want RUHE.

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

Why would something order a laptop today with Windows 7 instead of Windows 10? I assume it is the "Windows 7 was better" mentality. In most cases it is just people refusing to accept change.

It's not a question about acceptance of change and the refusal thereof, it's Microsoft trying to make money by adding gimmicks that nobody needs. Ubuntu desktop experience hasn't changed that much since 10.04 (we're now on 16.10 I believe) whereas Mickeysoft has gone through several very annoying operating systems. Each one trying to outdo the last one by being more frustrating.

Microsoft need to stick with one business model to be successful, stick with the XP/Win7 interface that anyone can use, stop fu*k1ng about with tiles and tabs, offer security upgrades when I turn off my machine or let me choose when to install them, charge me pro-licence and offer me continuous updates for a minimal fee! Yes Bill Gates is the richest man on the planet by locking people into his idea of what they need and his licensing system. Linux will mature and one day push MS aside.

5 hours ago, Krieg said:
1 hour ago, Krieg said:

But the question is why a consumer would like to buy a NEW system right now with Windows 7?

Because an old dog can't learn new tricks and older people hate change. Young people adapt to change quicker but when your 60 and run your own business and some youngster comes along and tells you you need a new system, you feel like telling him to go F himself.

It's not a question about acceptance of change and the refusal thereof, it's Microsoft trying to make money by adding gimmicks that nobody needs. Ubuntu desktop experience hasn't changed that much since 10.04 (we're now on 16.10 I believe) whereas Mickeysoft has gone through several very annoying operating systems. Each one trying to outdo the last one by being more frustrating.

Microsoft need to stick with one business model to be successful, stick with the XP/Win7 interface that anyone can use, stop fu*k1ng about with tiles and tabs, offer security upgrades when I turn off my machine or let me choose when to install them, charge me pro-licence and offer me continuous updates for a minimal fee! Yes Bill Gates is the richest man on the planet by locking people into his idea of what they need and his licensing system. Linux will mature and one day push MS aside.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Saying that Windows 10 was released untested and they waited for the users to complain is basically top level nonsense.

Windows 10 free update and then forced update was (to date) the biggest money maker for the notebook repair industry! Finest OS ever! ;)

7 hours ago, Krieg said:

And about the original problem, you can try first the following: Switch off the notebook completely and remove the power lead and wait a few minutes and try again. If that does not solve the problem then try uninstalling the trackpad drivers (Synaptics, UltraNav, or whatever your notebook uses), reboot, and install them again. You might want to use and external mouse in the meantime to make things easier.

Because i work with a lot of high end computer environmental modelling codes that weren't made for Windows 10, and would cost 8000 euros to replace/get it updated. 

My husband's company is in a similar situation, although in the mechatronic engineering field and lots of machines running controls for enormous hydrogen tanks that need a lower-ram using OS and no room for new OS bugs that they haven't already built software in.  

But i'm really glad it was assumed that it was because I'm "too old" :lolsob:

Aren't you glad you asked?

7 hours ago, Krieg said:

And about the original problem, you can try first the following: Switch off the notebook completely and remove the power lead and wait a few minutes and try again. If that does not solve the problem then try uninstalling the trackpad drivers (Synaptics, UltraNav, or whatever your notebook uses), reboot, and install them again. You might want to use and external mouse in the meantime to make things easier.

Because i work with a lot of high end computer environmental modelling codes that weren't made for Windows 10, and would cost 8000 euros to replace/get it updated. 

My husband's company is in a similar situation, although in the mechatronic engineering field and lots of machines running controls for enormous hydrogen tanks that need a lower-ram using OS and no room for new OS bugs that they haven't already built software in.  

But i'm glad that it was assumed that i was just too old and stubborn.  :lolsob:

Aren't you glad you asked?

2 hours ago, TallGuy said:

Pretty much and it has nothing to do with me being an old coot.  Industrial software is fucking expensive and these "upgrades" cost companies so much effing money if and when they do decide to switch over, esp for anyone that works in numerics.  This is why in the more academic computational modelling environments (i.e. Frauenhofer), Unix or Linux was the tool of choice for a really long time, if you have only your homegrown code but for those of us in companies that use commercial packaged and expensive codes, we don't get much of a choice. 

Even if it wasn't for my work, my time is still $$.  So going from one software that just works, with most major bugs ironed out to one thats new, with most major bugs still yet to be found, is time wasted.   Windows 95 was released with over 50,000 KNOWN bugs.  And it was the least buggy of all the window releases since then.  When something works for someone, then you will get no benefit from upgrading (particularly in windows) except for maybe some minor tricks and flashy things that look cool.  But security is not increased.  

@arunadasi I don't want to drive you crazy, but if you are going to use it for writing (which by the way, you do beautifully) I think you need to test the keyboard. I personally like keyboards that are cliccy and have a long travel distance for the keys; in other words: keyboards that give me a clear feel of keys being pressed. That's a rare thing in laptop keyboards because they tend to be mushy and shallow but some are definitely better than others.