New problems on old laptop driving us crazy!

96 posts in this topic

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 pre installed. I also have a desktop PC with Windows 10. Never had this problem before. I didn't have it on the laptop; then suddenly it cropped up, apparently trying to be helpful. This is the problem:
When I click on a link, any link, or a tab, or an email message, or on anything live at all, instead of being taken there, I get a stupid drop down menu asking me a a whole lot of questions. Do I want to open a new tab, or a new window? etc etc. about ten questions. It's very annoying, and a waste of time. If I keep clicking the same link eventually I MIGHT get through as normal, but it's just luck.
I have no idea what has changed and why it's suddenly doing this. How can I change back to the way things were before?

It seems that your mouse buttons are reversed - are you left handed? Either that, or you're not used to the trackpad and are clicking on the wrong half of the lower section more often than not.

Will try reversing trackpad butotns.

I'm not using the mouse -- using a trackpad, and right clicking as I always do.- I've used a trackpad for years!

Even  on Facebook -- when I click "like", a  menu comes up..

I'll see what happens with a mouse but I'm not liking at all. I only have the laptop a few days and might return it.

Yes -- it is the right-click menu. -- except that I get it if I click anywhere on the track pad. I think I'll just return the laptop -- must be a fault... I#ve only had it since Saturday.

Well I think I have a right to return? Yes I would buy a new one but I bought it from Amazon and prefer to buy one I saw at Media Markt. Amazon does take returns without a problem.

When I encounter problems so early after buying something I get very nervous as I am not a tech person and want to avoid a lot of fiddling around!

There's nothing wrong with the computer. Your problem is probably due to the configuration of the touchpad, which interprets whatever it is that you're doing as a right-click instead of as a left-click. Perhaps you're inadvertently clicking with two fingers or you're clicking in a certain area of the touchpad. Try using one finger only. If that doesn't work, have a brief look into the touchpad/mouse settings and disable whatever options are causing this kind of behaviour.

PS: modern touchpad are sensitive enough to distinguish between all sorts of different gestures, which wasn't the case on older computers. To make them more useful or accessible,  programmers assign different functionality to different types of strokes. E.g., sliding two fingers down the touchpad will produce a different result compared to sliding one finger.

this probably has nothing to do with it, but just so you know: you can order laptops with Windows 7 on them still.  I just got a brand new Lenovo and requested windows 7 instead of windows 10.  

Do you have anyone that knows computers that can look at it for you, before you go to the trouble of returning it?

Why would something order a laptop today with Windows 7 instead of Windows 10? I assume it is the "Windows 7 was better" mentality. In most cases it is just people refusing to accept change.

And about the original problem, you can try first the following: Switch off the notebook completely and remove the power lead and wait a few minutes and try again. If that does not solve the problem then try uninstalling the trackpad drivers (Synaptics, UltraNav, or whatever your notebook uses), reboot, and install them again. You might want to use and external mouse in the meantime to make things easier.

11 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And about the original problem, you can try first the following: Switch off the notebook completely and remove the power lead and wait a few minutes and try again. If that does not solve the problem then try uninstalling the trackpad drivers (Synaptics, UltraNav, or whatever your notebook uses), reboot, and install them again. You might want to use and external mouse in the meantime to make things easier.

You see, this is the kind of thing which makes me just want to send it back and get a new one! This just sounds like pure gibbereish to me!

This is the one I have my eye on: https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Convertible-Ultrabook-m7-6Y75-Touchscreen/dp/B01CJRH4MI/ref=sr_1_2?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1487004306&sr=1-2&keywords=lenovo%2Byoga%2B900s&th=1

But Media Markt has an "Austellungsstück" originally €1400, now reduced to €1100. I'm thinking of getting it. I'm terribky impatient with tech stuff. Rather than fiddle around I wanr easy-peasy..

I'm fine with WIndows 10, and my desktop has that,

But perhaps you can help with another little issue? I like my language settings to be English language with German keyboard. There's a little thingee at the bottom left hand corner which gives me three options: ENG/UK, ENG/DE, and DEU. I have it set to ENG/DE. However, it keeps changing back to ENG/UK and then surprises me in the middle of my work with a z instead of a y etc, and I have to change back.

I would even prefer DEU as I am not used to a UK keyboard any more. Is there some way I can keep it permanently at ENG/DE or DEU. I suppose if I haddn't fiddled around at the start it would have stayed at DEU.

The ENG-DE setting should stay once chosen. Once in a blue moon mine changes and I have to change it back. Doesn't happen often enough to be a problem.

When I got my laptop (Asus), it had a place where I could customize the track pad to do what I wanted. There were choices for different functions using 1, 2 or 3. fingers. Like you, that was too fiddly for me. I hate trackpads and touchscreens and always use a mouse.

Congrats on the new book!

You have to choose which one is your "primary" or "default" or something like that option in the keyboard layout configuration.

About the MediaMarkt's Lenovo Yoga, are you sure you need such overkill machine. For that price I assume it is a i7/16GB notebook and most people do not need a monster like that. I work in IT running heavy stuff all the time and I have no issues with an i5/8GB notebook, Lenovo Yogas in that realm cost around 700/800 EUR and they are fine machines. I am at the moment big fan of the Lenovo Yoga line myself and had had 2 of them.

In the uber- 1000 EUR realm I would just go with a Macbook if you do not need to play games. They are not as expensive/overpriced as the haters insist. Actually I thought you were a Mac person.

I had/have a Mac laptop which I have given or lent to my daughter. I'm not really a Mac person. I'm writing a book and because of issues of accidental deletion I now write directly into ONeDrive; eartly in the morning, in bed, using a laptop, and then later in the day using the desktop. It's wonderful because it's always up to date on both computers.

I actually bought a cheap Lenovo ideapad laptop for 200€ (Mediamarkt) about ten days ago and it works well for writing but not for internet browsing. So I bought the ideapad to replace it (700€) but now I want to replace that as well. Getting there -- my daughter wants me to buy the Yoga.

Language and keyboards are a bit of a problem with Windows 10.  

I have a Windows 10 desktop with a German keyboard.  My language setting is UK English.  Every time I reboot the computer and log on with my normal Widows user account it starts with German as the language and I have to manually change it to English - it's a bit irritating but not really a problem.  What is interesting that one of the other Windows user accounts (which is used infrequently) has a password that contains the letter "y".  Entering the correct password results in a password fail - it needs the "z" key to be used!

Of course Cortana can't be used in Germany with English (or any other language except German).  I have to say I don't find this a handicap!