Bed Bugs, will they die if i go away for a few weeks?

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

Since a couple of weeks, i have felt itchy lying on my bed(in some cases, almost in a matter of minutes after lying down). I think i may have bed bugs.

Fortunately, i am going away for three weeks. And I think this may be my best chance to get rid of them.

So here are my questions.

DO the bugs die if they have no humans to bother?

If I just leave the window open and it gets cold inside, do the bugs die of cold?

Should i get some spray and spray it all over before leaving?

Please tell me what to do.

It probably depends on what kind of bugs you have (if you have any). E. g. fleas (not unlikely if you have pets) will withstand quite long periods (several months at least) without food. Do you have insect bites? If in doubt seeing a dermatologist to establish this might be a good idea. He might know how to determine which kind of bug you´re hosting (if any).

Leaving your window open will not help. When my kids were in kindergarten they told us putting bedding and pillows into the freezer would help against head lice, so putting out your matress and bedding when there is severe frost might be worth a try (but where to order severe frost?). There are also casings for matrasses which are meant to prevent mites from accessing the sleeper. Not sure though whether they would help for bugs. You might want to do some research on that.

Bedbugs can live for ages without a host. Are you sure you have them? Did you lift up your mattress and study your bedframe etc. for signs of them? There are no home remedies or sprays that will take care of them. Call an exterminator if you have them.

Here's an informative youtube video on bedbugs and what to watch for:

A German-level frost is not enough to kill bed-bugs; I researched this a few months ago and IIRC you had to get down into -10 or -20 territory, and even then not just for a few hours, before you could count on killing them.  Definitely do more research and get a pro if you have them, otherwise they can and will make your life miserable.

Could just be your sheets. Have you changed washing powder? Sometimes if you put too much in the machine they don't rinse sufficiently and detergents or more likely whiteners can make your skin itch. Could also be the same thing but on your clothes. If you warm up in bed and start sweating that can make you itch too especially if you have not rinsed sufficiently after showering. Are you using any new soap or skin products?

Is it just me or does someone here get goosebumps when thinking about bedbugs? Brrrr :wacko: I'd also suggest calling a pro before leaving.

I shared our bedbug story on another one of the many bedbug threads. They bit Himself but not me so I changed detergent, bed clothes and everything since he said he didn't itch when he traveled. Ha ha. Then, one day, I lifted up the mattress and had a look. It was disgusting. We got an exterminator immediately and he showed me where they traveled up the wall and in a picture frame as well as in the electrical outlets. He was pretty sure that they came in packages from China that my ex was sending my son.

One treatment and never had another problem. I did, however, throw out the entire bed and got a new one.

Here's a short doucmentary on bedbugs:

Edit: here's a video about how to get rid of them:

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I shared our bedbug story on another one of the many bedbug threads. They bit Himself but not me so I changed detergent, bed clothes and everything since he said he didn't itch when he traveled. Ha ha. Then, one day, I lifted up the mattress and had a look. It was disgusting. We got an exterminator immediately and he showed me where they traveled up the wall and in a picture frame as well as in the electrical outlets. He was pretty sure that they came in packages from China that my ex was sending my son.

gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   TOTAL HEEBIE-JEEBIES!!!!!

I'm not too sensitive when it comes to bugs but damn, my skin is just crawling after that description

A litttle cautionary tale about bed-bugs and why no, you *really* need to call an exterminator ASAP...

Last Easter I took a little five day trip to Edinburgh and stayed at what I thought would be a decent hostel. I woke up after the first night with the typical bites left by bedbugs: three in a triangular pattern or what is called 'breakfast, lunch, dinner.' all over my arms, neck and chin. I also had the bite pattern on both of my lower calves.

I moved the hell out of that hostel but was already in big discomfort because these things itch like crazy. I got anti itch creams and took antihistimines from the chemist and that helped only a little.

Three days later I wake up to find the bite patterns on my ankles super enlarged and turned into awful, yellow,  two-euro coin size blisters. The area around the bite was red and an infection was clearly (and slowly) starting to move up my leg.

I waited one night until  I was scheduled to come back to Germany. Went directly from the airport to the emergency room (it was after hours). I needed emergency antihistimine, medical bandages  and 1000 milligrams of antibiotics twice a day for two weeks. 

I had an usual but not all that atypical alergic reaction. 

Call an exterminator. 

23 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Then, one day, I lifted up the mattress and had a look. It was disgusting.

You had me at that. Lifting up mattresses now!

UPDATE: It probably wasn't bed bugs but whatever it was, is gone.( As i mentioned earlier, there were bite marks all over my back, the insects were a result of me keeping open fruits and food in my room, but i could not see the usual signs of bed bugs as mentioned by people on the internet.)

If you have to deal with a small infestation, then you can deal with it on your own, but with termites and bed bugs it is best to contact a professional. Because if bed bugs bite any family member of yours then these bites will leave red rashes to your body. So, the most effective tools to get rid of these bedbugs are in the hand of exterminator bed bug experts. Last week I too had found out some bedbugs inside my home, then on a suggestion of my neighbor immediately I called up bed bugs exterminator Brooklyn services, where the experts had cleaned my house and eliminated all bed bugs permanently.

38 minutes ago, JulieMartinez said:

...then on a suggestion of my neighbor immediately I called up bed bugs exterminator Brooklyn services, where the experts had cleaned my house and eliminated all bed bugs permanently.

Wow Julie, thanks for joining Toytown from the USA to specifically tell us that and provide that link. Some people might think shill but not me. The reason I am sure you are not a shill is that a shill would be clear that the expats here in Germany would find your Brooklyn services difficult to access.

1 hour ago, JulieMartinez said:

if bed bugs bite any family member of yours then these bites will leave red rashes to your body.

I found this bit interesting. So regardless of who they bite, the rashes appear on all family members. Which is kind of awesome.

Also what black1 said. I would probably find someone closer...