How to retain Niederlassungserlaubnis?

14 posts in this topic

Folks,

I was wondering if there is a way to retain Niederlassungserlaubnis after moving back to one's non-EU home country?

Maybe buying German property, renting a small apartment, etc. - in addition to flying back to Germany every 6 months.

Appreciate your advice.

Flying back to Germany every 6 months is not enough, you have to LIVE in Germany for at least 6 months a year. And you have to keep registered, meaning you have to keep paying health insurance. There is a way to reduce the health insurance payment a bit while you are out.

You can get a permit from your local aliens office to extend your allowance per year from 6 months to 1 year out of the country. But after that there is not much you can do. As far as I know.

Maybe applying now for German citizenship if you can and you want to can be another option.

@Krieg so one has to be a tax-resident i.e. live here for 6 months minimum to retain it! That's bit harsh. For green card in US - they just need to visit once a year

Well having a RESIDENT permit requires you to be a resident of the country. If that's harsh that would be your interpretation.

You are supposed to live in Germany and to go out of the country for no more than 90 days in a single trip and no more than 180 days a year in total.

46 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

@Krieg so one has to be a tax-resident i.e. live here for 6 months minimum to retain it! That's bit harsh. For green card in US - they just need to visit once a year

It isn't actually true that one need only visit the US as a green card holder to keep their permanent residence. People get away with doing this, but if caught, CBP can decide to send you to an immigration judge to make a decision unless you can prove sufficient ties to the US.

2 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

It isn't actually true that one need only visit the US as a green card holder to keep their permanent residence. People get away with doing this, but if caught, CBP can decide to send you to an immigration judge to make a decision unless you can prove sufficient ties to the US.

Didn't know that! Thanks for enlightening :)

A better point: do you really want to have a residence permit if you don't need it? What's the use case?

I can understand the point in keeping it. It takes very long to get an unlimited permit, so you might want to keep the door open to be able to come back if your new plans do not work.

Dear All

I have PR (niederlassungerlaubnis) and left Germany in Jan 2017, To retain PR I travelled to Germany Every Six months and went back staying in Germany for 1 or 2 days.

Now I got Job in Germany and came back here and did registration also here.

But now Stadtamt office called me with documents.

As per my knowledge to retain PR I need to travel at least once in 6 months. Or I need to registered (Anmeldung) to retail PR.

Kindly confirm, your valuable suggestions are important to me

15 minutes ago, Raavi said:

I have PR (niederlassungerlaubnis) and left Germany in Jan 2017, (...)

Please read the first answer in this thread.

On 7.2.2017, 10:50:19, Krieg said:

Flying back to Germany every 6 months is not enough, you have to LIVE in Germany for at least 6 months a year. And you have to keep registered, meaning you have to keep paying health insurance. There is a way to reduce the health insurance payment a bit while you are out.(...)

just do whatever the amt told you to, ok?  they've already contacted you so you have no choice but to deal with them directly.

19 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Please read the first answer in this thread.

Although i have heard and read this information, the same as explained here on various resources, that is still not how i understand it, when i read the law.

wenn der Ausländer ausgereist und nicht innerhalb von sechs Monaten oder einer von der Ausländerbehörde bestimmten längeren Frist wieder eingereist ist,

Has this definition been elaborated else where?