A level requirement

27 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2017, 14:46:23, tfj said:

No, I guess it's not. It's just that the colleges here in malaysia do not offer the English language a levels.

 

But they're not asking specifically for Engish (or even for an A-Level). Any language at AS level or above will do. Even Malay, Chinese or (even better) German.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Joe-K said:

 

But they're not asking specifically for Engish (or even for an A-Level). Any language at AS level or above will do. Even Malay, Chinese or (even better) German.

 

 

No, they are not. But although British Council here may provide the exams for Malay, Chinese and German, I still have to find colleges that are able to provide these subjects. But there aren't any here in Malaysia. (I don't speak chinese, neither german (yet)). So my best bet is English.

 

One more thing, the minimum requirement would be AS for a language. Any idea if learning it to A(or A2) level would put me to an advantage? Did you do A levels yourself?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tfj said:

One more thing, the minimum requirement would be AS for a language. Any idea if learning it to A(or A2) level would put me to an advantage? Did you do A levels yourself?

 

If you were applying for admission to a medical school in the Anglo-saxon world, I would have suggested getting an extra A-level in something they're actually interested in, namely in one of the sciences (or even a second Maths A-Level, e.g. Statistics). Admissions there are based on making the best possible impression on the admissions committee. The more A-Levels you have, the better.

 

The German system is different. It's not based on impressing anybody. You need to meet the formal requirements,  which is a binary question (Yes/No) and then for subjects like Medicine, you need to have good enough grades to make it past the GPA threshold (Numerus Clausus). So instead of doing something fancier than required, I would suggest that you try to get the highest grades possible, while staying within the formal requirements.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2017, 10:33:58, Joe-K said:

 

If you were applying for admission to a medical school in the Anglo-saxon world, I would have suggested getting an extra A-level in something they're actually interested in, namely in one of the sciences (or even a second Maths A-Level, e.g. Statistics). Admissions there are based on making the best possible impression on the admissions committee. The more A-Levels you have, the better.

 

The German system is different. It's not based on impressing anybody. You need to meet the formal requirements,  which is a binary question (Yes/No) and then for subjects like Medicine, you need to have good enough grades to make it past the GPA threshold (Numerus Clausus). So instead of doing something fancier than required, I would suggest that you try to get the highest grades possible, while staying within the formal requirements.

 

 

Just to clarify... 20% of the applicants are selected the way he describes in Germany. Another 20% is based on how long you have been waiting to enter (I think 7 years is about the average now) and 60% are selected by their own scoring system. So his results in the A-level will have some weight but also, depending on the university, his score in the medical aptitude test, interview, and work experience. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2017, 6:58:22, tfj said:

 

 

One more thing, the minimum requirement would be AS for a language. Any idea if learning it to A(or A2) level would put me to an advantage? Did you do A levels yourself?

 

It might not be strictly negative. I have approval from a fachochschule without a language qualification. However, I had lived in Spain for a few years and had a certificate from a Spanish university. No specific subject will give you an advantage. It is the average that counts, with an AS-level having the weight of half an A-level. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Atrag said:

 

Just to clarify... 20% of the applicants are selected the way he describes in Germany. Another 20% is based on how long you have been waiting to enter (I think 7 years is about the average now) and 60% are selected by their own scoring system. So his results in the A-level will have some weight but also, depending on the university, his score in the medical aptitude test, interview, and work experience. 

 

The rules you describe are only for German and other EU citizens; Wartesemester do not apply to non-EU applicants for medicine.

 

44 minutes ago, Atrag said:

 

It might not be strictly negative. I have approval from a fachochschule without a language qualification. However, I had lived in Spain for a few years and had a certificate from a Spanish university. 

 

The requirements for an FH are not as high as those for a uni, especially medicine. 

 

On 08/02/2017, 22:33:58, Joe-K said:

The German system is different. It's not based on impressing anybody. You need to meet the formal requirements,  which is a binary question (Yes/No) 

 

You've identified the central issue; an A / AS Level language is required to meet the requirements of having a foreign Hochschulzugangsberechtigung equivalent to a German Abitur. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, engelchen said:

 

The requirements for an FH are not as high as those for a uni, especially medicine. 

 

I guess you mean stringent rather than high - I am much more qualified in Spanish that most applicants. The NC for the course I am considering taking at the fachhochschule had a NC for the abitur lower (better) than most degrees at hochschulen.

 

Quote

You've identified the central issue; an A / AS Level language is required to meet the requirements of having a foreign Hochschulzugangsberechtigung equivalent to a German Abitur. 

 

The fachhochschule I applied for assessed my A-levels as equivalent to a 1.9 in abitur. You are right that generally you need a AS-level language but it is not strictly the case if you can prove competency in another way. 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now