Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Six Nations Rugby Championships 2019

121 posts in this topic

The weekend passed was a very sad day for rugby.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43459156

The governing body said it will look at the "context of events" around the result which meant Romania took the automatic European qualifying spot, with Spain going through the play-offs.

What a shocking f**k up.

The Spain result completely overshadows the six nations.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/mar/19/joy-of-six-nations-rugby-wider-issues

On 3/10/2018, 6:44:27, john g. said:

I don´t know anything about rugby but congratulations to Ireland on winning the Six nations thingy.

:D I woke up early this morning to follow New Zealand v England in a cricket match but had misjudged/forgotten the time difference and England had that very minute I switched on..just won the match!

John I have never watched rugby in my life but on Saturday I settled down in my daughter's parents' in law living room to watch Ireland VS England! And before thay we went to monaghan to watch the Paddy Day parade! And among the vintage cars in the parade I saw a green Ford Prefect from the 50's!!!! My dad had exactly this car when I was small. I even remember the licence, PC234. 

I did not become a rugby fan overnight as I couldn't make out what the hell was going on but I knew who to root for this time.

England overwhelmed France in the first half this afternoon.  More to follow.

England played incredibly well and thoroughly deserved the huge victory over France.   

England were very good against Ireland, but let us not kid ourselves here, France were absolutely atrocious.  

Obviously I was glad England won, and whilst France's tactics were poor in the first half, England played some very good rugby. Tactics were excellent yesterday. That said, aside from getting the big French pack to turn around (which worked so well)  quite a lot of the game plan is still based around a few very big, very powerful ball carriers taking the ball into contact and gaining yards - particularly Billy Vunipola and Tuilagi. When both of them were regularly fit at the same time a few years ago, England won everything. When they weren't last year, we were second last in the tournament. I'm not sure whether it's possible to keep those two injury free if they have to play every game this tournament. When they were off yesterday, England's tempo and intensity dropped too. I guess that was understandable with a 30+ point lead, but I don't think it is that unreasonable to expect the "finishers" to be able to find a few holes in a tired French defence. 

As for the others, it still wouldn't surprise me if Ireland won the tournament (although England's bonus points should be enough). Wales have got two wins without playing well, and after two "easy" wins, they will be fresher against England. Thought Scotland were a bit unlucky.

2 hours ago, dstanners said:

Thought Scotland were a bit unlucky.

Scotland were robbed by horrific refereeing decisions.

1) The tackle on Stuart Hogg (Ireland's first try) was a penalty to Scotland and a yellow card.

2) the Shoulder barge by Kearney was a yellow card and should have been a penalty try to Scotland.

It is amazing with all the TV cameras there are, that somehow the match officials can totally screw up a match. 

Quite how the Welsh rugby team is top of the table is remarkable considering how poorly it has played.   Are there enough 'Get Out Of Jail' cards for Wales to play against Ireland in the Championship/Grand Slam decider in Cardiff next Saturday?  Answers on the back of a valid ticket for the match please :-) 

I was the lone Englishman in the pub yesterday watching the rugby, I  cheered on Wales to their win.

However, when Italy scored against England, the whole pub erupted.

They just won't forgive and forget Edward 1st, let it lie.  Bloody racists. 

England have got the easier match next week compared to Wales and I think might just nick it.

3 hours ago, hooperski said:

They just won't forgive and forget Edward 1st, let it lie.  

It was his fault that we have this Brexit thingy 🤪

3 hours ago, hooperski said:

England have got the easier match next week compared to Wales and I think might just nick it.

Most teams are beginning to understand how Ireland play. Ireland are very predictable. Connar Murray box kick and chase. That's about it. Can't see how Ireland will change their way of play for Wales.

Scotland played better yesterday but with more injuries it's very difficult to see who they will play next week. The back 3 went of injured yesterday and with Hogg and Maitland already injured Scotland will have to play a completely new back 3. Price moving to the wing was very costly yesterday (The tackle without the ball)

2 years ago when they played an injured backline England scored 60 points. I can see England doing this again.

Wales deservedly beat Ireland to win the Grand Slam and Championship.  Now rated #2 in the world behind the marvelous New Zealand All Blacks.  

FBDE0460-F460-43D9-A6D9-2C0A6594832A.jpeg

England went in at half time 31 - 0 up, then clung on for dear life and scraped a draw. I'm not going to the pub anytime soon.