Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Six Nations Rugby Championships 2019

121 posts in this topic

Ren: in our Cretan village, we have a Welsh friend, Roger, now early 70s, and a rugby fan. Not only that but he played for Wales under-21s against Scotland under 21s fifty years ago ( I presume in Cardiff). One of his Scottish opponents that day has just moved into the village and is his NEIGHBOUR!!!  They had never met since that day they played against each other!

His German wife takes the piss out of him when he stands up for the National Anthem when Wales play and he watches (alone!! ).

By the way, I´m not a biggie on National Anthems but this one could convert me!

I was disappointed when I asked him last night if he spoke Welsh...he doesn´t! Lousy Greek ,too, he said ( like mine! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwdZOHm8r-Y

The words on the left are easier to understand!

http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/welsh/henwladf.htm

I wonder what the Welsh player's rating will be after Saturday?

So... what was the game played by IRL/WAL and ENG/SCO? The top 14 taught me rugby should look like FRA/ITA...

Awesome game by Scotland :)

Great game.

Scotland issue has never been its home form. Their last 2 away games in the six nation they have been absolutely annihilated by England and thrashed by Wales.

Dublin up next could either be a classic or Scotland could freeze and be pants again.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Ireland v Scotland

What a match

Fantastic! 

I don´t know anything about rugby but congratulations to Ireland on winning the Six nations thingy.

:D I woke up early this morning to follow New Zealand v England in a cricket match but had misjudged/forgotten the time difference and England had that very minute I switched on..just won the match!

All we need now is for Ireland and Wales to win next weekend to show that the smaller nations are more than capable of fighting above their weight. 

TEE HEE 💪😄😄😄 and to all enjoy camaraderie a 🍾 and a shake of 🤝

The standard and fight of the matches mean that we, the viewers are the winners.  Fantastic rugby.

It has been a fantastic six nations.

However it has also got me thinking.

if you take away the Italians there has only been one away win in the six nations (France v Ireland).

Does the six nations come down to the team which has the most home matches.

Do referees bottle decisions ?

Is there a clairvoyant at work predicting the scores for this coming Saturday 👍

549402CF-08FF-4A90-B013-F02CA6A57EF8.jpeg

This seems to be against the general consensus here (and hopefully not just English sour grapes), but I don't think the standard has been high at all. There have only been two close games, and the quality hasn't been there. France v. Ireland was a really close finish, but the (admittedly excellent) drop kick was the only highlight. France v. England looked like two teams who didn't really know how to win. Scotland are definitely playing the most entertaining stuff - sometimes it comes off (against England), other times it has backfired (Ireland and Wales). Ireland have done a good job of playing disciplined rugby and their kicking game remains excellent, but even for them (deserved winners) that's not a huge leap forward from last year. 

I'm hoping for three good games this weekend though, because as @RenegadeFurther mentioned, so far home advantage has been telling. This weekend looks like the best opportunity for three close games...possibly even three away wins (although I think home advantage will be sufficient for the Welsh).

20 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

It has been a fantastic six nations.

However it has also got me thinking.

if you take away the Italians there has only been one away win in the six nations (France v Ireland).

Does the six nations come down to the team which has the most home matches.

Do referees bottle decisions ?

The home side has a much bigger advantage in rugby than in most sports - at the end of the day, it's a physical contest and the visiting team has to stand up to, match and win these contests. Easier said than done: for example, Ireland didn't win in Paris in the 5N/6N between 1972-2001. 

If Ireland do win the Grand Slam ( winning all your matches) this year, it will be the 'harder' version because both England and France will have been away matches - venues where Ireland historically have had a bad record. The last time they won the GS this way was 1948.

On 12/03/2017, 04:54:46, Wulfrun said:

Poor Italy, a bitter disappointment but what a game.    Very entertaining.   The start of a great afternoon of Rugby.   

Shame England only came to life in the last 10 minutes.  Well played the Irish, just right for St Patrick's Day.