Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Six Nations Rugby Championships 2018

105 posts in this topic

With the 6 nations finally about to start and the British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand this summer,  and also the fact that I could not really find a rugby thread which discusses all the rugby topics, I thought I would start a new one.

As a Scot, I more optimistic about this 6 nations than I have been for a while. However it is hard to see anything other than England and Ireland battling it out for the title.

As for the bonus point, I have no idea what the organisers are thinking. Why change something which works and will teams really start running the ball from inside their own 22 just for the bonus point ?  

I didn't even know about the new points rule. Shows what having a baby does to you! Got to go read up on the teams now...

If you score 4 tries or lose by less than 7 points you get an extra point and if you win all the matches you get an extra 3 points.

They want to encourage attacking rugby.

I also expect to see a lot more red and yellow cards due to the new head rule. 

They had to add the 3 points for a grand slam as an afterthought - otherwise a team could win the grand slam (winning close games) and not win the tournament.

It'll be interesting to see if it really encourages attacking play from the first game on, so that the tournament has a winner by match points rather than just on points scored. The latter situation has tended to benefit sides which play Italy late in the tournament. I imagine the Italy which starts at home against Wales will put up far more of a fight than they manage away against Scotland in mid March. 

I am going to stick my neck out and predict the 6 nations table.

Ireland

England

Scotland

France

Wales 

Italy

These rules seem quite close to things I have seen in league and I dont see any problems as such.  The only thing that bothers me is that over the past few years the scrum seems to have become just a convoluted way to get a penalty, and if we lose the scrum as a real part of play we might as well actually switch to league.

The new head rule which came into effect on the 3rd January should have a greater impact.

Any contact to the head (accidental or not) you run the risk of a yellow or red card.

These decisions could change the match.

I think France and Scotland are the two teams that could cause an upset, but I don't think either of them will be consistent enough to win the tournament. As ever, Ireland could win if everyone stays fit/free of suspensions, but given that's so unlikely, I think England are the team to beat. Wales aren't looking particularly good. My guess is: England, Ireland, France, Scotland, Italy, Wales.

England's discipline (or Hartley and Cole's lack of discipline) could be critical given the rule changes though.

Also great times for rugby watchers here in Germany, with Eurosport, Sport 1 and DAZN broadcasting alot of rugby at the moment.  About time.  

Enjoyable first weekend. Scotland looked good, but I'll stick with my original predictions (Italy will need to improve though!). I reckon the criticism of England is over the top - it's early days in the tournament, with key changes to the pack. 

England always look rusty in the first match. However I do think England will lose to Ireland in the last match which sets up the tournament nicely. 

So much aggression on this site. I think I will discuss rugby for a while with anyone who wants to join me. Did anyone watch the scotland v Wales  match yesterday?  Looks like England v Scotland is the 6 nation decider. 

Did anyone watch the England v Italy match yesterday ?

I personally though that the Italian tactics were shocking. This was not rugby but a complete farce.

If ever there was a case for kicking Italy out of the six nations yesterday was it.

One of the most disgraceful performances I have ever seen in any sport.

Mind you the farce was not helped by England not seeming to know the rules.

Haskell to referee "What do we need to do ?"

Referee  "I am a referee, not your coach"

Two ways of looking at it, they played within the rules and disrupted England's game plan,  

The ref was right in saying I am not your coach, Eddie Jones and his team could not work out a plan to counter it.  Clever rugby from Italy.

If England had employed these tactics and won 72 nil, everyone would be signing England's praises and calling them innovators.  Reading a lot of stories about the game, most of world rugby think what Italy did was great, and only the English press are salty.  

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/89861495/all-blacks-assistant-coach-wayne-smith-says-law-change-not-needed-on-italy-tactic

Clever rugby ?

If every team went into the championship playing the way Italy played the tournament would be a farce.

Rugby is a contact sport, if Italy can`t compete they should be replaced. I really hope the six nations committee throw Italy out and after this. I would suggest there would be talk to do this. People pay to see a  contact sport not having players waving their hands about and zero contact in the entire match. The public were cheated. Italy must now be replaced by Georgia.

It is like cricketers bowling under arm, it is in the rules but deemed unsportsmanlike.

Haha, as the article states above.  The tactics will not work every time, you just need to pull one Italien into the ruck and they are all offside, but England failed to adapt. It was clever from Italy.