Car tax - petrol vs. diesel

23 posts in this topic

Hi, quick question is car tax the same for both petrol and diesel cars here or different and more expensive for diesel??

Cheers :huh:

This article...

http://www.stern.de/wirtschaft/geld/533871.html?nv=cp_L1_aa

...suggests that diesel attracts tax at 42 cents per litre, whereas petrol is taxed at 79 cents per litre.

There has been talk of doing away with car tax and increasing the tax on diesel.

I notice Mercedes plans to introduce some dual-fuel cars that offer the option of using natural gas.

Hi Tue

Car tax is a lot more on diesel cars than petrol. If you drive do alot of miles in a year then it might be worth getting one as the fuel is cheaper at the pumps and you get more mpg (litre per 100km).

Terry

Hi Rob

I drive a 1900cc Diesel and my annual car tax is €519.

That works out at €27.35 per 100cc.

It is due to increase, I think next year if I don`t get one of these "Feinstaub" filters fitted.

HTH

Terry

I read that you can get a 350 euro decrease in your diesel tax if you get the required filter by 2007-8.

I have asked around and unless we are doing loads of kms I am better off with my petrol engine. The fact is I spend alot of time in stationary traffic and we thought that a change from a 1.8 turbo petrol to a 2.0 TDI would be better. Is it also true that not only the price is more expensive to buy the car but insurance as well??

Is it also true that not only the price is more expensive to buy the car but insurance as well??

It is true that certain diesel cars which are commonly used as company cars, such as the VW Passat and Golf, are more expensive as far as insurance is concerned.

If the insurance companies are beining honest, this should not apply to all models, particularly, for example, Japanese models. On the other hand, as you can imagine, many drivers of company cars don't give a shit about potential accidents, since it doesn't cost them anything. I must admit, I notice that I get overtaken my more VW's doing about 200 km/h than Mercedes, BMW and Porsche together.

I also remember the time a couple of years back where I also had a company Golf Kombi, travelling to and from work in Duisburg every week from Schleswig-Hostein, if the road was clear, the speedo was on 200+! :ph34r: In my case it had more to do with the fact that I wasn't paying for the fuel!

Oh yes, it's well worth risking life and limb for the sake of a bit of free fuel...

Tue said:

"The fact is I spend alot of time in stationary traffic "

Have you considered the Toyota Prius? This is a Petrol-electric hybrid. When stationary, the petrol engine is shut off and only started again when needed.

Given the buying price of the Prius, you probably would not save money, despite the low consupmtion and tax. However, it has exceptionally low emissions.

I drive a 1900cc Diesel and my annual car tax is €519   

Ouch, like major ouch, didn't quite realize it was that high. I believe mine is the same. I do drive enough miles per year average 1000 per week will be a bit less this year as not taking it on holidays. Registering the car next week so I make the point of asking.

I've seen ads regard the fine staub filter, and how you can cut your tax in half if you install it, being as our car is only 2 years old I assuming it has it.

Rob

Check the link I posted earlier, it could be that your car has an Euro 2 or even an Euro 3 Cat fitted. These don´t attract as much tax as mine.

Regards

Terryl

I've seen ads regard the fine staub filter, and how you can cut your tax in half if you install it, being as our car is only 2 years old I assuming it has it.
Nope - that is what the current issue is all about, Rob. It is not yet mandatory to have those filters in Germany, very few -even brand new- cars actually have them.

In France on the other hand, all new cars are required by law to have these filters. This has been the case for some time now. Once again, German lawmakers and industry have been dragging their feet.

well I find out for sure next week when I pick up the plates

You will only find out about two to four weeks later when you get your KFZ Steuerbescheid delivered to you by your friendly postman.

After my orginal post and checking it all out we have decided...

To stick with Petrol!!! Now we just have to decide what the make and model the new car will be ARGHHHHH!!! :wacko:

Oh dear, now the problems will really start for you, I know because hubbi and I've been talking for about a year about changing our car and it's not easy to find something we both like... I first liked the Altea (we've got a Seat Leon now) but hubbi didn't, we were then both agreed on a Saab 93 but hubbi wanted to wait for it to come out as a Jahreswagen, then he wanted a Touran, I don't like Tourans.. I now like the Honda FRV, hubbi doesn't like Toyotas... help! We however are definate that we want a diesel and now hubbi says we should wait until this discussion about filters has been sorted out so we can get the tax rebates..

While all this is going on, our car is going to be 5 in July which means that it's got to have its MOT done anyway (and we have to get it done before our holiday in July because we won't be coming back until the middle of August) so who knows if we'll get a new car this year anyway or if hubbi'll just wait until next spring (because he says you shouldn't change it in winter...) Oh dear, problems, problems! :rolleyes:

I aggree its a tough issue on what car to buy. Regardless of what you choice cars cost loads of money. Go new and you have (usually) have payments, go old you take the risk of repairs. :( .

Well got the plates and registration, other than costing me 83€ (or more correctly Chris since she is the one who brings home the bacon) it was pretty painless.

Tax on a Mazda Premacy Petrol 135 Diesel 300

Funny thing was they had no information on the Staubfilter for diesels.