Which area to live in Regensburg for a young professional?

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am soon moving to Regensburg and I am looking for an apartment. I was wondering if you guys could point out to me the best areas in the city.

By best areas, I mean districts suitable for people who are about to start their careers (rather than for families with kids).

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to Toytown! I would suggest downtown Regensburg. It is very difficult to find an apartment here. In most cases there are certain dates where the landlord shows the apartment, many people show up, you submit your check stub copies etc. to the owner and he/she decides who the lucky one is who will get the place. Too many people for not enough housing, even though they are trying to build more. Prices are high, approx. 500-600 Euros for a one room apartment of maybe 25-40 qm without utility bills like heating, tv/radio, water, electric,parking etc.

Since the laws changed now, I would recommend a Makler (real estate agency). The landlord pays for the fees now, in the past the tenant had to pay at least one month rent for the fees through a real estate company.

I live here, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Have a nice weekend!

Hi,

I'm in exactly the same situation. I need to move to Regensburg in the next month as a young professional.

I am looking to find a room within a WG. Is this going to be easy or hard to do, do you know?

I want to move into a cool part of the city, what should I be putting into my searches on wg-gesucht.de ?

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!!

On 27/01/2017 à, germanyherewecome said:

Hi, and welcome to Toytown! I would suggest downtown Regensburg. It is very difficult to find an apartment here. In most cases there are certain dates where the landlord shows the apartment, many people show up, you submit your check stub copies etc. to the owner and he/she decides who the lucky one is who will get the place. Too many people for not enough housing, even though they are trying to build more. Prices are high, approx. 500-600 Euros for a one room apartment of maybe 25-40 qm without utility bills like heating, tv/radio, water, electric,parking etc.

Since the laws changed now, I would recommend a Makler (real estate agency). The landlord pays for the fees now, in the past the tenant had to pay at least one month rent for the fees through a real estate company.

I live here, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Have a nice weekend!

Thank you very much for the thorough response!

The only thing I am concerned about is that I don't have check stub copies (this would be my first job) and no work permit yet (it's being processed right now). Do you think that showing a copy of my contract and passport would be enough? 

On 27.1.2017, 14:52:25, germanyherewecome said:

Careful with that! The law changed to the 'Bestellerprinzip' – who orders the maklers service pays. If a tenant assigns a makler to find him a flat, he is the one that pays, not some landlord. 

Thank you for your info! I should have clarified that a bit better: In the past, if you responded to an advertisement of an apartment and it was through a real estate company the renter had to pay the fee of approx. 1 to 1.5 times monthly rent to the real estate company. Now a person looking for a place can respond to private and real estate companies without having to pay the fees. :)

On 2/4/2017, 12:37:23, thewanderer said:

Thank you very much for the thorough response!

The only thing I am concerned about is that I don't have check stub copies (this would be my first job) and no work permit yet (it's being processed right now). Do you think that showing a copy of my contract and passport would be enough? 

I just know that most landlords require the last 3 months pay stubs, credit report specifically issued by the German credit place for renting a place and perhaps a contract from your job, especially in larger cities. I moved a few times in the years I lived in Germany, always rented from a private landlord in smaller towns/villages and never had to show anything so far. How that would work in your case, I don't know. Perhaps it would be a bit easier to apply through the wg-gesucht.de site and find an apartment or WG room in Regensburg.

Link for apartments in Regensburg for apartments:

http://www.wg-gesucht.de/wohnungen-in-Regensburg.111.2.0.0.html

For roommate WG rooms:

http://www.wg-gesucht.de/wg-zimmer-in-Regensburg.111.0.0.0.html

Innenstadt means downtown! Under Stadtteil (part of the city). All the other areas are usually within 10-20 min. per Bus from downtown Regensburg. Bus connection is great and every 7-20 min. depending on the time of the day buses go in all directions. The best ticket is a monthly Oeko ticket of 36 Euros. The earliest you can use it is after 9 in the morning during the week. On weekends you can ride even before that time. The next monthly ticket is a monthly ticket that you can use with no time rules and costs 46 Euros. No car needed if you live in Regensburg. For any other travel there is the train station. The next airport is right before Munich, reachable in approx. 90 min.

Hi mate,

I just came back from Regensburg today, I went for a few days just to get to know the city etc. The innenstadt is the place to be, but not very good if you have a car (althought it is still possible).

When I was looking at different places on Google maps, they looked far away from the center, but actually because the town is quite small they just look far away.  you can walk for example from the main station to the middle in 5 minutes. so you could live 5 minutes away from the other side of the station, and it would still only take you 10 minutes to walk to town.

As a side note the town was really cool, I met a lot of nice people and there are some good pubs and bars there. ;)

Did you find anywhere ? Here in Nuremberg there is 20 application for every place available. I would expect Regensburg to have the same issues as Nuremberg.

Yes I found the perfect place and signed a contract already. What I did is that I went to Regensburg for 5 days and stayed in a hostel.

I spammed and called aggressively every interesting ad I saw on wg-gesucht, immobilienscout, immowelt, Facebook, etc. I ended up having 9 appointments and had the luxury to choose between couple offers. It is very tough to find a place in Regensburg because the demand is very high. You gotta be in there and be quick in spotting ads and contacting people.

11 hours ago, mitchilin said:

Hi mate,

I just came back from Regensburg today, I went for a few days just to get to know the city etc. The innenstadt is the place to be, but not very good if you have a car (althought it is still possible).

When I was looking at different places on Google maps, they looked far away from the center, but actually because the town is quite small they just look far away.  you can walk for example from the main station to the middle in 5 minutes. so you could live 5 minutes away from the other side of the station, and it would still only take you 10 minutes to walk to town.

As a side note the town was really cool, I met a lot of nice people and there are some good pubs and bars there. ;)

Yes I had the exact same thought when I looked on google maps! :D

At the end I chose a place that is just on the west of the old town (10mn by foot to downtown while being in a very quiet area).

@thewanderer Lol that's literally just what I've done. I will be going back on Monday to continue wih the search.

I contacted a lot of people before I arrived there and once I was there, but only managed to get one viewing. It is very hard, lots of demand and not many offerings.  Were you also looking at Studenten-WGs or just Beruftätiger-WGs? (Just out of interest).

I'd figure instead of making new one I will just use this thread!

Basically I am now in the same situation as @mitchilin and @thewanderer were.

I am looking for one room apartment, what are the chances now? 

Is it hard to find furnished apartment? and if I found non-furnished, where can I get  reasonably priced furniture (any IKEA equivalent there?)

I have been messaging few potential ads at wg-gesucht, any other places (e.g. FB group) I should be looking at?

Planning to move in March, but will be in Regensburg for short time for apartment attendance and finalizing my job contract.

Cheers,

Achi

@aachsoo

It's do-able but its quite hard. There is a lot of competition. All I would suggest is start now and bookmark wg-gesucht and message each room that appears. I was in Regensburg for one week apartment hunting and I sent quite a few messages on wg-gesucht, but only got 1 reply in the end. I went to a viewing with three other people and ended up getting it (They had in total 3 x viewings with 4 people each).

But then again @thewanderer seemed to do alright and get a more replies so maybe I was just doing something wrong ;)

There is an Ikea 10 minutes away by car.

In regards to facebook, these 2 look like the main ones:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/regensburg.wohnung/?ref=br_rs

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1608008769483465/about/

They have both had 50+ posts today and over 500 new members in the past 30 days.

Good luck!

Btw Umm how hard is it to speak with potential tenant if I don't speak German..? should I go with English -speaking in my situation..?

The relocation is going to be assisted by my company to some degree, so I think I can spend some money in the beginning...