Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Neustrelitz in the next few months as a student on a break

8 posts in this topic

Hello! 

I'm an international student in Sweden currently on a year break from my studies and I'm planning on moving to Neustrelitz in the next few months. I'm studying physical geography, in my 2nd year of bachelor and doing video editing in my free time.

Why Neustrelitz? Because that is where my girlfriend lives and I intend to stay in Germany for longer than a few months, as it is a country I've always liked.

I am currently teaching myself German, with her help, but by the time I move there, I reckon I will still be at a basic level.

So I'd like to start on a job as soon as I get there, but my issue is that I don't know how many jobs are open to international students/basic German-speaking people in a smaller town like this. I'd be willing to do any job at first, as long as it doesn't require me to work 12 hours every day and allows me to live well. I have been looking out for jobs and sending a few emails, but to no avail yet.

In addition, what would I need to live there? Is a German bank account absolutely necessary? (I assume it is if I want to find a job there)

I will also rent an apartment in the area, preferably before I get there, but all of them are unfurnished. Are there any good ways to buy furniture in the area, given that the closest IKEA is in Berlin?

Would be also very good if there were any English-speaking meet-ups in the area.

Feel free to ask me anything that could help and looking forward to hearing from you!

Follow up questions: how well is it possible to rent an apartment without being physically present there? So no face-to-face talks or visits. I may be, just may be, able to visit once just to see the place and talk to the agents, but I am not sure of it. Also, do I need a German bank account to make the first rent payment?

32 minutes ago, TudorPM said:

So I'd like to start on a job as soon as I get there, but my issue is that I don't know how many jobs are open to international students/basic German-speaking people in a smaller town like this.

Not that many. In addition to 'small town' and your lack of the language, Neustrelitz is located in one of the most depraved states in Germany, job-wise. Although Neustrelitz is better off than the rest of that state, there is only two things that come to my mind: Maybe you are lucky in summer, when there is some tourism in that area ("Mecklenburger Seenplatte") or you are lucky with DHL, the parcel carrier, they have a logistics center there. 

I'd be willing to do any job at first, as long as it doesn't require me to work 12 hours every day and allows me to live well. I have been looking out for jobs and sending a few emails, but to no avail yet.

In what language are you sending out that emails?

In addition, what would I need to live there? Is a German bank account absolutely necessary? (I assume it is if I want to find a job there)

It is. 

I will also rent an apartment in the area, preferably before I get there, but all of them are unfurnished. Are there any good ways to buy furniture in the area, given that the closest IKEA is in Berlin?

Why don't you ask your girlfriend, she's on-scene? And where does all that money come from, for the rent, the deposit, electricity and communication, furnishing ...?

Follow up questions: how well is it possible to rent an apartment without being physically present there?

In your case: Not very likely. You could rent a 'hytta' or holiday apartment that way, but you couldn't afford them. At least not for a longer period. And, sorry to say that, you are not very attractive as a renter: 

So no face-to-face talks or visits. I may be, just may be, able to visit once just to see the place and talk to the agents, but I am not sure of it. Also, do I need a German bank account to make the first rent payment?

Yes, and you are aware that you not only have to make the rent payment but also a pay a deposit? Normally it's at least 2 months rent, sometimes 3.

Sorry, but I think your underestimating the obstacles: You are a student, with no steady income, no local job, only basic knowledge of the language, moving to a small town nobody would call a boomtown and only for a max of 12 months. Landlords prefer renters with jobs and willing to rent a long time. Can't you move in with your girlfriend for a while?

25 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Not that many. In addition to 'small town' and your lack of the language, Neustrelitz is located in one of the most depraved states in Germany, job-wise. Although Neustrelitz is better off than the rest of that state, there is only two things that come to my mind: Maybe you are lucky in summer, when there is some tourism in that area ("Mecklenburger Seenplatte") or you are lucky with DHL, the parcel carrier, they have a logistics center there. 

I have sent emails to most of the supermarkets in the city and DHL, yes. So far, only DHL and Kaufland have replied to me. I was suggested to call the Kaufland manager in Neustrelitz to look for any job openings.

In what language are you sending out that emails?

In English, for now.  Should I send them in German, as well? 

Yes, and you are aware that you not only have to make the rent payment but also a pay a deposit? Normally it's at least 2 months rent, sometimes 3.

Are there no options of renting without the deposit? The agency websites I checked had that option, although I haven't looked too much into it.

And where does all that money come from, for the rent, the deposit, electricity and communication, furnishing ...?

Sorry, but I think your underestimating the obstacles: You are a student, with no steady income, no local job, only basic knowledge of the language, moving to a small town nobody would call a boomtown and only for a max of 12 months. Landlords prefer renters with jobs and willing to rent a long time.

Electricity and communications are included in the rent, from what I read.

At the moment, I am working on getting a steady income through online work and freelancing, including video editing for certain content producers. The prospects, as I see them, are not as bad and I intend to get that steady income to cover my rent and expenses before I get there, and so I can provide proof of it as well.  If I manage to keep it going, I figure I won't need a local job. Is this a feasible scenario?

In regards to the duration, it can be longer than 12 months, as well, if needed.

2 hours ago, TudorPM said:

I have sent emails to most of the supermarkets in the city and DHL, yes. So far, only DHL and Kaufland have replied to me. I was suggested to call the Kaufland manager in Neustrelitz to look for any job openings.

In English, for now.  Should I send them in German, as well? 

The language in Germany is german – so, yes. Your gf can help you.

Are there no options of renting without the deposit? The agency websites I checked had that option, although I haven't looked too much into it.

I have no idea where you are looking for flats but a deposit is standard, at least on the free market. Would you have an example?

If you want to rent through an agency you might get all-inclusive prices, mostly for furnished flats, well above the usual market prices. Then furnishing, deposit, electricity, telecom – and their fees! – are in the price already. But that's not the standard. 

Do you know www.immoscout24.de? The largest website for rentals. 

Here's an example for Neustrelitz, the owner is a housing company:

Kaltmiete: 380 Euro (cold rent)

Nebenkosten: 96 Euro (utilities)

Heizkosten: 108 Euro (heating)

-> Warmmiete: 584 Euro (warm rent)

Kaution oder Genossenschaftsanteil: + 1.140 Euro

Electricity is extra, telecom/internet is extra.

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/90011111?referrer=RESULT_LIST_LISTING&navigationServiceUrl=%2FSuche%2Fcontroller%2FexposeNavigation%2Fnavigate.go%3FsearchUrl%3D%2FSuche%2FS-T%2FWohnung-Miete%2FMecklenburg-Vorpommern%2FMecklenburg-Strelitz-Kreis%2FNeustrelitz%26exposeId%3D90011111&navigationHasPrev=false&navigationHasNext=true&navigationBarType=RESULT_LIST&searchId=a9427ce7-8a83-3156-b66b-933d4b9db108

It's still a fantastic price – in cities like Hamburg, Frankfurt, Stuttgart or Munich you'd get nothing like that. And there are even much cheaper flats in Neustrelitz (what gives a hint about the economical situation), have a look. I'd contact some of the listet housing companies. 

Electricity and communications are included in the rent, from what I read.

Not on the free market when you rent from private landlords or from housing companies. You know the TT Wiki?

https://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Apartment_rental

At the moment, I am working on getting a steady income through online work and freelancing, including video editing for certain content producers. The prospects, as I see them, are not as bad and I intend to get that steady income to cover my rent and expenses before I get there, and so I can provide proof of it as well.  If I manage to keep it going, I figure I won't need a local job. Is this a feasible scenario?

Maybe, maybe not. There are various threads on TT about renting, the landlords expectations and the hurdles for foreigners with and above all without a job in Germany. Renters have a lot of rights in Germany, so the landlords generally prefer those with a steady income that want to rent long. Maybe it's easier in Neustrelitz because of the economical situation in McPomm. 

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

Do you know www.immoscout24.de? The largest website for rentals. 

Here's an example for Neustrelitz, the owner is a housing company:

Kaltmiete: 380 Euro (cold rent)

Nebenkosten: 96 Euro (utilities)

Heizkosten: 108 Euro (heating)

-> Warmmiete: 584 Euro (warm rent)

Kaution oder Genossenschaftsanteil: + 1.140 Euro

Electricity is extra, telecom/internet is extra.

Maybe, maybe not. There are various threads on TT about renting, the landlords expectations and the hurdles for foreigners with and above all without a job in Germany. Renters have a lot of rights in Germany, so the landlords generally prefer those with a steady income that want to rent long. Maybe it's easier in Neustrelitz because of the economical situation in McPomm. 

That is the website I'm using. I was looking at this one, for example: https://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/90880703. And when I refer to heat an internet included, I was thinking of the warm rent.  Also, there's an option to rent without bail, under the warm rent, but after I checked it, I think it's only for Germans. 

The low prices is what attracts me the most, yes, and the fact that I'd be able to support myself with what I earn from freelancing and not only from a local job. It may be obvious, but I want to make sure: as a freelancer, do I need to register myself at the tax office to pay taxes?

Thank you for the Wiki, I checked it, lots of useful information.

From what you're telling me, it depends on the landlord from whom I want to rent, whether he will accept me or not. 

19 minutes ago, TudorPM said:

The low prices is what attracts me the most, yes, and the fact that I'd be able to support myself with what I earn from freelancing and not only from a local job. It may be obvious, but I want to make sure: as a freelancer, do I need to register myself at the tax office to pay taxes?

You not only need to register and pay taxes, but you'll also need to pay for your health insurance once you are resident here.

16 minutes ago, TudorPM said:

That is the website I'm using. I was looking at this one, for example: https://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/90880703. And when I refer to heat an internet included, I was thinking of the warm rent.  

"Warm" includes heating, not electricity (unless otherwise stated) or telecom/internet (unless otherwise stated). 

Also, there's an option to rent without bail, under the warm rent, but after I checked it, I think it's only for Germans. 

It's not really 'without bail', it's just another way to secure the bail, not by cash but by a financial product – you have to pay for. And it's an ad, whether the landlord would accept this or not is his decision. 

The low prices is what attracts me the most, yes, and the fact that I'd be able to support myself with what I earn from freelancing and not only from a local job.

I get your point ;) but be prepared to discuss a lot. Even german freelancers have difficulties sometimes, need to show their tax assessments and are second choice when there are potential renters with a reliable, steady income as an employee. 

It may be obvious, but I want to make sure: as a freelancer, do I need to register myself at the tax office to pay taxes?

Yes to both. And you have to get health insurance. You are not covered by your swedish insurance. 

Thank you for the Wiki, I checked it, lots of useful information.

From what you're telling me, it depends on the landlord from whom I want to rent, whether he will accept me or not. 

Yup, it's always the landlords decision.