Do you like living in Germany?

584 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jeremy said:

Surely it is better to lie with your head on the pillow, not to sit on it. No wonder you have back pain,.

It's much more effective for combating intruders this way. 

When I first came here, there were no real pillow options. I found a shop in Regensburg that made them to order - name your size, filling and density.

Now all sorts of good pillows are available in the 40 X 80 size. Just don't buy the cheap Aldi ones as I once mistakenly did.

2 hours ago, Deutschified said:

The only thing I really miss about being back in England is comfortable pillows. I have no idea how people manage to sleep on those large, empty, spine breakers that need origami folding skills to become sleepable.

I honestly don't get it. Why would you need to fold a pillow (origami  style?) in order to lie your head on it?

29 minutes ago, Deutschified said:

It's such a small difference but I found it to be properly annoying. You manage to fold it into a position to sleep and about 2am it becomes completely unraveled. Absolute pain the backside! I ended up writing an article (here if you're interested) about some of the weird German/British things I've noticed coming to and from Germany and living here. 

Another thing I can't wrap my head around is watching Dinner For One every single New Years Eve. Nobody in my family even remembers it! 

Your link made me laugh.  Sure you'll be able to add hundreds more quirks in no time!  In my first few days of driving here, I just couldn't understand how come the pedestrian green man comes on at the same time as the green traffic light. Certainly one to be aware of.  Dinner for One is more than odd :blink:

6 minutes ago, desdemona said:

Why would you need to fold a pillow (origami  style?) in order to lie your head on it?

I think he's talking about the 80 X 80 ones that have about 25 feathers in them.

1 minute ago, emkay said:

In my first few days of driving here, I just couldn't understand how come the pedestrian green man comes on at the same time as the green traffic light.

After many years here I still cannot understand this - both as a motorist and a pedestrian.

I don't mind the closed on sundays thing, people are right - its refreshing.  But the only part i don't like about it and have never liked about it is that stores like gas stations that are opened on sundays don't stock things that result in brutal circumstances when you run out over a holiday weekend.  Things like Diapers.  Milk.  Toilet paper.  

I understand that in Germany gas stations aren't meant to be variety stores - but they do stock travel necessities, and I consider things like diapers to fall into that category.  I'm long passed diaper days, but still think they would find stocking up on some of those things could bring in a bit of dough on sundays. 

46 minutes ago, Deutschified said:

Another thing I can't wrap my head around is watching Dinner For One every single New Years Eve.

When you do understand (& regularly watch) DFO you can consider yourself integrated.

If you then understand Dinner for Otto (see YouTube) you are really "in".

Nobody in my family even remembers it!

Not suprising - its unknown in the UK.  For background information see Wikipedia.

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think he's talking about the 80 X 80 ones that have about 25 feathers in them.

And about 20 of them stick through the cover :D

Ignore previous post. Couldn't delete quote.

I had to get pillows last time I was in UK too.

How are you actually supposed to sleep on those big pillows? Do you lie with most of your upper body on them, or just lay your head on them and have your feet hanging out of the bottom of the bed?

On 1/18/2017, 1:03:53, yourkeau said:

Things are I love in particular:

1. Food, especially beer (it's officially considered basic food in Bavaria), the culture of bakeries, Bratwurst and recently I also start loving German wines (Silvaner/Weißer Burgunder are the best ones, Riesling is also ok).

That's what I hate the most, the food. Beer and sausages are good, the rest is just bad. Riesling can be good, but only if you spend over 15€ per bottle.

Even the famous bread is just bearable.

What I like most about Germany are:

1) Rules, rules and rules! At least you know what you can count on

2) Public sector efficiency (at least compared to Portugal)

3) Warm houses

4) Friendly, down to earth doctors (at least compared to Portugal)

5) Green spaces (at least in Munich)

What I hate most:

1) Food

2) Language (could be worst, could be scandinavian)

3) Unfriendly people

4) Lack of sense of humor

5) Audi drivers (in my country the assholes drive BMW)

33 minutes ago, grimmiger said:

Ignore previous post. Couldn't delete quote.

I had to get pillows last time I was in UK too.

How are you actually supposed to sleep on those big pillows? Do you lie with most of your upper body on them, or just lay your head on them and have your feet hanging out of the bottom of the bed?

I believe you're supposed to just fold them in half...at least that's how my German family use them. My husband's usually ends up looking like some screwed up ball.  

If anyone has German bed linen and wants to use UK pillows, it's really quick to reduce the size...even I managed it with a kiddie sewing machine. The width is only a couple of centimeters more than normal UK size. Bonus too as most DE pillowcases have inverted zips. 

Well, I have yet to meet a Southerner who loves northern food (which is understandable). I am happy to be a northerner, so I can be happy eating anything produced south of Kiel.

I like a lot of the food here - but not all of it.  Same is true from when I lived in the UK.

I can find plenty that I like to eat here & at home we alternate between UK & German cooking.

My Steak & Ale pie goes down well as does roast beef with Yorkshire puddings.  Recent hit: fish pie.

I love to eat Kohlrouladen!

Of course many things we eat are neither specifically German or British...

1 hour ago, desdemona said:

I honestly don't get it. Why would you need to fold a pillow (origami  style?) in order to lie your head on it?

Because to get it be harder and more comfortable you have to fold it up into some sort of weird cube! 

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Your link made me laugh.  Sure you'll be able to add hundreds more quirks in no time!  In my first few days of driving here, I just couldn't understand how come the pedestrian green man comes on at the same time as the green traffic light. Certainly one to be aware of.  Dinner for One is more than odd :blink:

Thanks for reading! :) I saw the green light one when I was living in California in a few places, but it confused me then. Perhaps it's a form of natural selection? 

1 hour ago, HEM said:

When you do understand (& regularly watch) DFO you can consider yourself integrated.

If you then understand Dinner for Otto (see YouTube) you are really "in".

Not suprising - its unknown in the UK.  For background information see Wikipedia.

I'll have to check out Dinner for Otto! Thanks for sharing the Wiki. My Girlfriend made me stream Dinner For One through my mobile internet (and laptop) in a cabin in Switzerland over New Years Eve. It was cute, but still can't wrap my head around it haha.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Or he mistook the casing for the actual pillow?

1 hour ago, emkay said:

I believe you're supposed to just fold them in half...at least that's how my German family use them. My husband's usually ends up looking like some screwed up ball.  

If anyone has German bed linen and wants to use UK pillows, it's really quick to reduce the size...even I managed it with a kiddie sewing machine. The width is only a couple of centimeters more than normal UK size. Bonus too as most DE pillowcases have inverted zips. 

Ah. Seems kind of weird. But maybe I'll give it a try. I suppose you could have your head on top and your arm between the two halves. Actually, i dont really use pillows much, but i like to have one on the bed still. Sort of comfort thing.

While were on the subject, just remembered Germans are kind of particular about mattresses as well, judging by the number of mattress shops on every corner.

16 hours ago, jeba said:

Or he mistook the casing for the actual pillow?

Oh no, I'm talking about the awful thing in the picture I've attached! 

17 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Well, I have yet to meet a Southerner who loves northern food (which is understandable). I am happy to be a northerner, so I can be happy eating anything produced south of Kiel.

It's almost the same in England. But, Southern food is arguably worse than it is up north. At least we've grasped the use of sauces and gravy! 

Well I am not sure if this is right thread, but it was bit shocking to read the below news on bbc today. Uncertainty about Euro :(

I don't know who all has seen this, but looking at what all happened during past 18 months, sometimes I think I made a wrong choice moving from UK to EU :P

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38749884