Do you like living in Germany?

361 posts in this topic

I lived in Germany for 9 months and I am now planning to go back.

I think the most important thing is to leave stereotypes on the side when taking such a decision. Living anywhere has its ups and downs, there are mean people everywhere, as well as nice people. You just prioritize what is more important for you.

Germans are cold, old people there don't like foreigners...stuff like that is just a stereotype. Some people are cold by nature and some old people don't like foreigners, in any country.

A moment I remember dearly is when I was around the central station in Hamburg desperately looking for directions to get someplace. I was alone, new in the city, without internet on my phone (2009 - expensive data roaming), barely covering basics in German, and there were no young people around to ask for directions. So I politely stopped an elder German man (65+) on the street to ask for directions, in German (like in my German course). He smiled and he saw by my insecurity that I was trying hard to make the words come out as good as possible and he started giving me directions slowly. I apologized for not understanding so well and he repeated some stuff, while complimenting me on my accent and encouraging me. Out of my spontaneous interactions with people on the street back in 2009-2010 this is one that I still remember. I often went to Hamburg in the following years and got over again a confirmation that the stereotypes sometimes apply 100% and sometimes are full of bs, just like home.

2 minutes ago, Cautious said:

A moment I remember dearly is when I was around the central station in Hamburg desperately looking for directions to get someplace. I was alone, new in the city, without internet on my phone (2009 - expensive data roaming), barely covering basics in German, and there were no young people around to ask for directions. So I politely stopped an elder German man (65+) on the street to ask for directions, in German (like in my German course). He smiled and he saw by my insecurity that I was trying hard to make the words come out as good as possible and he started giving me directions slowly. I apologized for not understanding so well and he repeated some stuff, while complimenting me on my accent and encouraging me. Out of my spontaneous interactions with people on the street back in 2009-2010 this is one that I still remember. I often went to Hamburg in the following years and got over again a confirmation that the stereotypes sometimes apply 100% and sometimes are full of bs, just like home.

I have often been very positively surprised how helpful the people here are and how welcoming, it's just that they are a bit more reserved and you have to ask first,

Just now, GER308 said:

I have often been very positively surprised how helpful the people here are and how welcoming, it's just that they are a bit more reserved and you have to ask first,

Yes, that is true, first you might be treated as a hobo asking for something. I also get that back home and I don't look like a hobo :)) people just don't like to be directly approached on the street, but this also happens in other places in the world 

You have to state your facts, in a polite manner and depending on the person you meet they might react like the great guy in my story, or they might dismiss you (I also had that in Germany)

On 19/01/2017, 15:53:26, kapokanadensis said:

Ha! You nailed one of the bad aspects of our culture there with that one!  Even so, took me a while to work out that our way of speaking in code by beating around the bush just annoys the hell out of the Germans, and doesn't get you anywhere here. 

Very thought provoking!!

*crosses kapokanadensis off Xmas card list*

@grimmiger, I laughed out loud when I saw @Joker's post.  What he described as the smile in your face stab in the back aspect is totally caker, the politeness masks a very passive-aggressive culture.  The Toronto area, in particular the richer suburbs, is especially bad for this, that's why I moved away as soon as I could.  Success is measured in material possessions, and competitiveness is extreme, but everyone has to do it very politely.   Kinda weird looking back at it from outside.

On 20/01/2017, 09:40:39, kiplette said:

Cheating, managed to find my old post on this theme, still feel the same.

Red squirrels.

Kiplette, you are sort of my "paesana" from Lower Saxony! :)

Yes, the squirrels here are unbelievably deep red. Never seen this color on squirrels before.

And they run on the streets too!

In the UK/London they are grey, and in Scandinavia they are light terracota, but here... uuuhh... really really red.

I love it!

On 20/01/2017, 09:40:39, kiplette said:

Kids walking/biking to school.

And all by themselves, with no parental company!

I have always been astonished that in London the schools kids, even older one, are almost always accompanied by their mums.

my next question was what are the colors of squirrels in other countries because i never noticed them here.  I also remember people making a fuss about Canada's squirrels being black.

And one must also notice lack of dangerous wild animals. Crocodiles or bears can be seen only in a zoo. And this is good so, I am really happy I can walk in the forest here without a rifle. There are still some boars or even wolves, but their number is low, almost no chance to meet them.

46 minutes ago, jeba said:

An expat?

LOL, the legend says there was a man who took a couple of them to London from the US some time ago, and then they took over from the local English red squirrels who got almost extinct from the American squirrels' "dominance".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/10705527/History-of-grey-squirrels-in-UK.html

http://londonist.com/2015/01/where-to-find-squirrels-in-london

34 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

And one must also notice lack of dangerous wild animals. Crocodiles or bears can be seen only in a zoo. And this is good so, I am really happy I can walk in the forest here without a rifle. There are still some boars or even wolves, but their number is low, almost no chance to meet them.

Quite a big chance of meeting a boar if you live in Berlin, actually.

4 minutes ago, klubbnika said:

LOL, the legend says there was a man who took a couple of them to London from the US some time ago, and then they took over from the local English red squirrels who got almost extinct from the American squirrels' "dominance".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/10705527/History-of-grey-squirrels-in-UK.html

That guy was probably acting on Trumps orders. To have America come first he wants to have all those nice nuts for Americans, not their poor European cousins..

8 minutes ago, jeba said:

That guy was probably acting on Trumps orders. To have America come first he wants to have all those nice nuts for Americans, not their poor European cousins..

Yeah, he certainly had a plan already back in the 1800s. :)

Living in Germany is ok, but I do miss many things from home, especially certain foods. Every country has it's pros and cons after all.

7 hours ago, ballygobackwards said:

The highlight of any holidays are for me the aircraft back to Munich

That reminds me of my son who said at the beginning of summer holidays: "I feel sorry for those kids who have to go on holidays".

On 1/18/2017, 3:12:58, Adem137 said:

What outdoor activities do they have here that they don't have in other countries? 

Sunday 

I also like it there (come to my friends from time to time) but strict and sometimes stupid rules are annoying and surprising:(

19 hours ago, GoBike said:

Sunday 

And the fun not working or shopping Sundays...