Do you like living in Germany?

584 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Marriage makes things MUCH easier.  You will struggle to live here and work legally until you are married and then at least those problems disappear like magic.  Of course that was also only part of the point.  The point is also that the #1 reason you are considering this move is because of the relationship and whether you are sure that the commitment is mutual.  Believe me, unfortunately I speak from experience.  It is much easier to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that they are allowed to come and live with you then it is to pack up your things. leave your family and culture, learn a new language, deal with culture shock, be unemployed for extended periods of time, etc. etc. Has she ever considered moving to YOUR country to be closer to you?  Relationships also tend to change once one person becomes dependent on the other because of challenges in language and culture (or income).  But that of course is your decision, and being young and in love you will probably ignore me anyway.  

Yeah, I would say that your chances of finding legal work in your situation and the current economic climate in Germany are between very slim and none.  You still have time to get your grades up and improve your German so that you can get into a Master's program - which should be your focus, IMHO.  

Well, yah we already discussed about the possibility of her coming to my country. I said it before that she is studying ‘till 2023. That’s only possible when she graduates uni. 

Sure, challenges are everywhere. I just have to keep my head up and push through.

And.. unlike me, my girl’s family is so small. Unfortunately, she is the only one to take care of her mom especially when she’s aging. No way then. 

Thank you for your opinions. I really appreciate it all. They are helpful. 

Ps: I read the new immigration act (March 2020) and there’s a relief on immigration laws than before. Link: https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/

(I hope it will be helpful for others)

9 hours ago, Rommie said:

Well, yah we already discussed about the possibility of her coming to my country. I said it before that she is studying ‘till 2023. That’s only possible when she graduates uni. 

Sure, challenges are everywhere. I just have to keep my head up and push through.

And.. unlike me, my girl’s family is so small. Unfortunately, she is the only one to take care of her mom especially when she’s aging. No way then. 

Thank you for your opinions. I really appreciate it all. They are helpful. 

Ps: I read the new immigration act (March 2020) and there’s a relief on immigration laws than before. Link: https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/

(I hope it will be helpful for others)

If you are talking about the Skilled Immigration Act, it would not apply to you unless you have some other sort of vocational training which you have not mentioned..  It is for "skilled workers with vocational, non-academic training".

On 11/04/2020, 15:57:10, Rommie said:

I’m graduating from a statistics field next year ...

An excellent choice.  

On 11/04/2020, 15:57:10, Rommie said:

What are the better options for me to move in there?

As pointed out by others, the volatility caused by COVID-19 situation makes forecasting very difficult.  

If you had made the same post 1 year ago, i would have made these comments:

1.  Learn German - use Duolingo, listen to the slow German broadcasts on dw.com and try to practice on the internet with your girlfriend if you are serious.  

2.  Look at job postings on xing.com to see what is in demand.   People with a solid Stats background and some R and Python might have a better than average chance.   The landscape changes quickly so do your own due diligence. 

3.  Investigate startups in Berlin which function in English or English as a second language.   

4.  Look for Facebook groups dedicated to startup jobs in Berlin.   In the past, i know from people in a former sports club that they existed.   I have no direct experience.   

5.  Complete a thesis, a project, something you can present to potential employers besides a list of courses and grades which will convince them that it is worth it to offer you a job. 

6.  Save money.  

Good luck.  

22 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Marriage makes things MUCH easier.  You will struggle to live here and work legally until you are married and then at least those problems disappear like magic.  Of course that was also only part of the point.  The point is also that the #1 reason you are considering this move is because of the relationship and whether you are sure that the commitment is mutual.  Believe me, unfortunately I speak from experience.  It is much easier to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that they are allowed to come and live with you then it is to pack up your things. leave your family and culture, learn a new language, deal with culture shock, be unemployed for extended periods of time, etc. etc. Has she ever considered moving to YOUR country to be closer to you?  Relationships also tend to change once one person becomes dependent on the other because of challenges in language and culture (or income).  But that of course is your decision, and being young and in love you will probably ignore me anyway.  

Yeah, I would say that your chances of finding legal work in your situation and the current economic climate in Germany are between very slim and none.  You still have time to get your grades up and improve your German so that you can get into a Master's program - which shoul

21 minutes ago, balticus said:

An excellent choice.  

As pointed out by others, the volatility caused by COVID-19 situation makes forecasting very difficult.  

If you had made the same post 1 year ago, i would have made these comments:

1.  Learn German - use Duolingo, listen to the slow German broadcasts on dw.com and try to practice on the internet with your girlfriend if you are serious.  

2.  Look at job postings on xing.com to see what is in demand.   People with a solid Stats background and some R and Python might have a better than average chance.   The landscape changes quickly so do your own due diligence. 

3.  Investigate startups in Berlin which function in English or English as a second language.   

4.  Look for Facebook groups dedicated to startup jobs in Berlin.   In the past, i know from people in a former sports club that they existed.   I have no direct experience.   

5.  Complete a thesis, a project, something you can present to potential employers besides a list of courses and grades which will convince them that it is worth it to offer you a job. 

6.  Save money.  

Good luck.  

Thank you @balticus such a helpful information. I really appreciate it.

8 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

If you are talking about the Skilled Immigration Act, it would not apply to you unless you have some other sort of vocational training which you have not mentioned..  It is for "skilled workers with vocational, non-academic training".

Ooh. Can vocational training be obtained in Germany (for me) after I complete my Bachelor’s degree?

ps: I think there are more things on this immigration laws’ amendment than just this. My opinion.(Take a read when you get a chance to). 

22 minutes ago, Rommie said:

Ooh. Can vocational training be obtained in Germany (for me) after I complete my Bachelor’s degree? 

Here is the relevant page for vocational training:  https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/visa/kinds-of-visa/training/   You will need to be accepted to a program, you will need to be able to cover your costs during training (or will have your costs covered by a company), and will have to prove B1 language ability.  You would be allowed to work 10 hours per week in addition to any training salary you receive.  

Also there is another visa that allows you to come and look for a vocational training program, if you have not yet been accepted to one (but you cannot work, you have to prove B2 language ability and you have to prove that you can cover your costs).   

If that is a route you want to go, it is probably not a terrible choice.  There were plenty of opportunities in the skilled professions before the crisis.  Who knows what it will be like now, though.  I think no one can predict the future.  

22 minutes ago, Rommie said:

ps: I think there are more things on this immigration laws’ amendment than just this. My opinion.(Take a read when you get a chance to). 

You just linked to the main "Make it in Germany" homepage.  Was that your intention? 

1 hour ago, balticus said:

He said he must be located in Kassel.  Not too many (any?) English-only startups in Kassel.   

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

You just linked to the main "Make it in Germany" homepage.  Was that your intention? 

Yes, sure.

24 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

He said he must be located in Kassel.  Not too many (any?) English-only startups in Kassel.   

24 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Not really. I think this will limit me. I’d prefer cities near Kassel. Leipzig too is fine. I have been here (Leipzig) and I have friends. 

Since am doing German language classes (currently on A2), German startups can be okay too. 

5 minutes ago, Rommie said:

Not really. I think this will limit me. I’d prefer cities near Kassel. Leipzig too is fine. I have been here (Leipzig) and I have friends. 

Since am doing German language classes (currently on A2), German startups can be okay too. 

??? You said you could not go to Trier because you need to be in Kassel?  Leipzig is something like 3 hrs away from Kassel.  Hardly commuting distance or "near".  Granted Trier is even further, but you should really be more clear on what you are looking for.  

14 minutes ago, Rommie said:

Yes, sure.

No one is going to read and comment on the entire website.  If you have a specific page you want to link to then people might be willing to give it a read.

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

If that is a route you want to go, it is probably not a terrible choice.  There were plenty of opportunities in the skilled professions before the crisis.  Who knows what it will be like now, though.  I think no one can predict the future. 

Thank you.. oh yet another good option (seemingly). I did take time to read the link you recommended.

Here are my few questions then. 

1. To do the vocational training(VT) program.. do I necessarily need a post secondary school diploma? By September 2021 I will have attained a Bachelor’s degree. Does it work when you have a degree? Or it’s compulsory to have a diploma?

2.In your knowledge.. what’s a rough estimate of the fees at a VT program?

3.Lastly, since am doing statistics.. am I eligible to any of the VT programs? Are there programs to suit my field?

Can I still take another field (eg carpentry) in a VT program with my statistics degree?

Thank you in advance.

7 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

??? You said you could not go to Trier because you need to be in Kassel?  Leipzig is something like 3 hrs away from Kassel.  Hardly commuting distance or "near".  Granted Trier is even further, but you should really be more clear on what you are looking for.  

I think you quoted me a bit different. Kassel is of more preference sure but a 2hrs away drive isn’t bad.

Yah! I know of Leipzig. I stayed here and I have many friends. It’s a reason I could make it in this city.

16 minutes ago, Rommie said:

Thank you.. oh yet another good option (seemingly). I did take time to read the link you recommended.

Here are my few questions then. 

1. To do the vocational training(VT) program.. do I necessarily need a post secondary school diploma? By September 2021 I will have attained a Bachelor’s degree. Does it work when you have a degree? Or it’s compulsory to have a diploma?

2.In your knowledge.. what’s a rough estimate of the fees at a VT program?

3.Lastly, since am doing statistics.. am I eligible to any of the VT programs? Are there programs to suit my field?

Can I still take another field (eg carpentry) in a VT program with my statistics degree?

Thank you in advance.

You would have to look in the programs themselves.  Each program will have different requirements.  If you find a program through a company then these sorts of training programs will not only be free, but they will be paid.  There are no vocational programs that I know of that have any relationship to statistics.  Maybe others would have suggestions here but I don't know of any.  If you are young, I see no reason why you could not start a vocational program in addition to your degree.  Of course they will want to know why you want to do it.  If you answer "to be with my girlfriend" then you will most likely not be accepted.  You will still need the language ability to even apply. Do you have any vocational skills as a hobby or interest?

I am not really an expert in this field, however.  You should talk to an advisor through the web page that you linked to.  

9 minutes ago, Rommie said:

I think you quoted me a bit different. Kassel is of more preference sure but a 2hrs away drive isn’t bad.

Yah! I know of Leipzig. I stayed here and I have many friends. It’s a reason I could make it in this city.

You are willing to drive 2 hrs to work (or to see your girlfriend) per day?  Or would your girlfriend be willing to move to Leipzig too?  

4 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

You are willing to drive 2 hrs to work (or to see your girlfriend) per day?  Or would your girlfriend be willing to move to Leipzig too?  

2 hrs drive to see my girlfriend on the weekend maybe. Ofcourse her too! At that moment she won’t be able to move to any other city ‘till she completes studies.

11 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

If you are young, I see no reason why you could not start a vocational program in addition to your degree.  

I read it on the website. At most the age of 25. I think it’s okay. I will be 23 by the time I’ll possibly be applying. 

I think this will be a good platform to learn things practically. The education in my country is mostly theory oriented (about 80% theory). Infact, I learn more and enjoy with a practical one.

1 minute ago, Rommie said:

2 hrs drive to see my girlfriend on the weekend maybe. Ofcourse her too! At that moment she won’t be able to move to any other city ‘till she completes studies.

Hmm it is up to you, but if you are just doing weekends, then either 2 or 3 hrs away isn't going to make that much of a difference.  I guess I just love that program in Trier and am jealous that I am too old to apply (not to mention no background in statistics).  There were no programs like that when I was your age (no tuition, english-only, interesting specializations, research institute, internship opportunities, etc. etc. etc.)  

17 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Of course they will want to know why you want to do it. If you answer "to be with my girlfriend" then you will most likely not be accepted.  You will still need the language ability to even apply. 

I can’t answer that. I have a life too. (I know what you mean)

Well, am really working on the language; as I can see, it’s everywhere.

1 minute ago, Rommie said:

I read it on the website. At most the age of 25. I think it’s okay. I will be 23 by the time I’ll possibly be applying. 

I think this will be a good platform to learn things practically. The education in my country is mostly theory oriented (about 80% theory). Infact, I learn more and enjoy with a practical one.

I personally know that Mechatronics and Maschinists have lots of opportunities and are paid decently (in normal times).  These are not "easy" programs however.  I am particularly impressed by what maschinists have to know and memorize.  Probably more than many engineers.