Do you like living in Germany?

584 posts in this topic

Hi McDee! The ex- good eye was lasered in 5 places yesterday馃檹馃徎.Still bleeding a bit.. that is not the eye on my perpetual thread but the other one馃槦.

Everything postponed...

The best laid plans etc...

It is important ( the eye(s) but almost trivial when I think about the state of the world.

Jeez.聽

11 hours ago, cacilia_1 said:

How did you discharge the debt then, if I may ask?聽 Do they not follow you over to Germany and when you file your taxes?聽 Just interested...

11 hours ago, cacilia_1 said:

I'm sorry that I'm so late to reply. But to answer your question, check this link out. You might find it interesting:

www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/qbx7dm/talking-to-american-debt-dodgers-who-moved-to-europe-to-avoid-paying-off-their-student-loans-111

Crikey, what a system. I can see why escaping is a thing.

Student loans in the UK are like a dirty word, but actually I think it's OK. You borrow the cost of the tuition through the Student Loan company, and you can take an extra sum for living expenses depending on how much your parents earn, and when you have a job earning above a particular threshold, you start to pay it back. They can never take more than 10% of your money and when you get to 50 it is written off.

Mine was about 500 quid - I think I may have been the first year of the system (there weren't tuition fees), and as a new teacher earned聽below the threshold. My husband got bored of the annual proof of income charade and paid it off after about 10 years. A friend of ours was going to sell her house to avoid her son having to take out a Student Loan but thankfully kid#1 persuaded her that in the UK, losing your house is not necessarily a recoverable situation whereas a student loan really is.

The downside is that the interest rates are not fixed by law, and are higher than they should be at the moment, and that could get worse.

It was free for so long - my Dad lived in a lovely hall, free board and lodgings, and pocket money every month when he did his teacher training - Shoreditch college, aeons ago,聽and it is not culturally acceptable in the UK that higher education is not free, but the money has to come from somewhere.聽

That American system is out of control.

Ah, kiplette- looking back, I didn鈥檛 realise how lucky I was back in the late 70s and through to the early 80s. Working class kid, no resources, no family support would have been available- and I got the grant.

No fees to pay to study and some pocket money to live off from the State.聽
I would never have had a Higher Education without that.

I truly understand the kids chanting Jeremy!

Of course the money has to come from somewhere. And all kids, to my mind, should have the right to study or do an apprenticeship/ whatever- without debts.聽

I had a grant as well, until that loan - and for my PCGE I was paid I think 1000 quid because I did science. Now you'd be looking at mega thousands for a physicist I imagine.

I think the debt system we have is essentially a graduate tax being hidden as student debt. I have no real problem with it, except if low income families are scared off by it. Then it becomes a very real issue, because the opportunity for the most appropriate learning/training should be available to all.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

They can never take more than 10% of your money and when you get to 50 it is written off.

That is nice.聽 In Iceland they never take more than 4% of your money but your loan goes up with inflation so as you are making payments, the amount you owe still grows.聽 They don't write it off at a certain age either.聽 You could continue to pay it as you retire.聽 They write it off when you die though.

1 minute ago, LeonG said:

They write it off when you die though.

Well, there's generous聽;)

Just now, kiplette said:

Well, there's generous聽;)

It bloody well is.聽 You know, they had people cosign for those loans,聽usually the parents would do it.聽 If you default on the loans, they go after the cosigner and this responsibility of the cosigner is inherited to his estate.聽 There was a court case where a man died and his wife and children inherited.聽 One of his sons lived overseas and as his dad died, he stopped paying his student loans.聽 So after a while of not paying, they came after the cosigner which were now the聽heirs so the debt ended up being collected from the widow and the other kids.

Oh crikey聽:o聽- that's horrible. The son whose debt it was just let his mother and siblings pick up the tab? What a prince.聽

8 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Oh crikey聽:o聽- that's horrible. The son whose debt it was just let his mother and siblings pick up the tab? What a prince.聽

Actually he was the son of the first wife so it was his step mom and half siblings picking up the tab which may have played a part in his decision.聽 I believe he claimed he didn't have any money but he's apparently a dentist so most of them aren't exactly starving.

Oh that's awful. How people live with themselves....

Hopefully she and her children have plenty and this isn't actually hurting them, but his dentist's training must have cost a pretty penny.

10 hours ago, kiplette said:

I had a grant as well, until that loan - and for my PCGE I was paid I think 1000 quid because I did science. Now you'd be looking at mega thousands for a physicist I imagine.

I think the debt system we have is essentially a graduate tax being hidden as student debt. I have no real problem with it, except if low income families are scared off by it. Then it becomes a very real issue, because the opportunity for the most appropriate learning/training should be available to all.

In America, most low income families end up not paying much for college. Disclaimer here as I am sure some people did, but the people I know and work with get their education basicially free. AND in CA if you illegal, you can get grants and pretty much go to college for free. It's the middle class in America that royally gets screwed.

On 4/8/2020, 7:33:51, jdogrulz said:

all English, and usually spelled wrong! LOL聽 And after over 25 years I know what the F&ck Im talking about!!!

On 4/8/2020, 7:59:45, john g. said:

The spelling mistakes on T-shirts and instructions etc- yep!馃槀 Sometimes they make me laugh. Shame the Chinese can鈥檛 spell!馃榾

You'll probably enjoy these:

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-english-translations-t-shirt-fail-asia-broken-engrish/

https://imgur.com/gallery/x5kCF

On 1/3/2020, 7:05:17, fraufruit said:

Only wealthy Americans start investments for their children at a young age. Middle class may do the same just to pay for an education. What I have been reading lately across the board is that 40% of Americans don't even have $400 dollars saved for an emergency.

Very true. A huge amount of population lives paycheck to paycheck聽

16 hours ago, john g. said:

And all kids, to my mind, should have the right to study or do an apprenticeship/ whatever- without debts.聽

This here 脳 1000. Why should someone spend the rest of their lives enslaved to debt because they wanted to do something productive for themselves and improve the quality of their life? This is what gets to me, and this is one of the reasons why I have no qualms about being a self exile.

It's like "student debt problems" are virtually unheard of in the EU because their education system is focused on producing qualified scholars, not capitalizing off of them!

God, our system is so backwards, they give free CARS to welfare recipients and dump billions of dollars into聽wars in the Middle East and filling up the jails and prisons聽over victimless drug charges, but leave higher education up to those who can afford it?

John G, if I knew where you were, I'd buy you a drink.

On 1/2/2020, 9:59:52, ZA1234 said:

We went on holiday to Florida and felt the same. Perhaps we have been here too long now, perhaps we had become used to things..but聽we realised when we came back聽that we actually don't like (or to be honest, don't agree with),聽some German ways of doing things.聽

But the question of "if not here, then where else?" is a difficult one to answer.聽

Florida is nice to visit especially Nov-Apr but I wouldn鈥檛 ever move back.聽Cast聽system has created a hectic fast pace life which is ok for younger educated聽people but terrible for families.聽That being said after five years in Germany wife and my older son have gotten a huge itch to visit Florida. Just got tickets for two weeks in December,聽unless American Airlines goes belly up.聽

1 hour ago, razorsandroses said:

This here 脳 1000. Why should someone spend the rest of their lives enslaved to debt because they wanted to do something productive for themselves and improve the quality of their life? This is what gets to me, and this is one of the reasons why I have no qualms about being a self exile.

It's like "student debt problems" are virtually unheard of in the EU because their education system is focused on producing qualified scholars, not capitalizing off of them!

God, our system is so backwards, they give free CARS to welfare recipients and dump billions of dollars into聽wars in the Middle East and filling up the jails and prisons聽over victimless drug charges, but leave higher education up to those who can afford it?

John G, if I knew where you were, I'd buy you a drink.

Thank you, razor!馃檹馃徎
Here I

am -

https://www.cretetravel.com/guide/mochlos-village/

1 hour ago, TampaFL said:

Very true. A huge amount of population lives paycheck to paycheck聽

As it turns out, that includes several NBA players who make millions. Paycheck to paycheck. Some are in trouble already.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Here I

am -

Hi John! Frankly, I wouldn't聽 swap with you. Greece, Crete, Rhodes etc are nice places to have a holiday for a couple of weeks but the water in the Med is rather cold and I prefer the Caribbean. Also, what you have told us about the way the locals treat animals is quite abhorrent, and I wouldn't want to live among these sort of people.