Do you like living in Germany?

584 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2020, 9:41:50, BradinBayern said:

Ouch, from the most livable city in North America to Saarbrücken (rank 57 out of 71 in this report https://www.sr.de/sr/home/nachrichten/panorama/staedteranking_saarbruecken_100.html ) . 

 

No wonder you are disappointed.  I am coming from the Detroit area and moved to Chiemgau so my contrast is a bit different.  I think it is safe to say that it is not Canada/ Germany, but Vancouver/Saarbrücken that is the problem here.  Any way you slice it, you are going to find it tough to beat Vancouver, especially if that is where you call home.  

Hey I love Detroit! used to work in Windsor quite a bit and would spend a lot of time in Detroit trying all the beers and seeing shows! As funny as it sounds

Detroit has always been one of my favourite cities in the US, but mostly cause I’m a life long redwings fan!


Ya it’s pretty tough here and I don’t knowing I’ll be able to make it for much longer to be honest, it’s just such a small city with not a whole lot going on really and pretty much nothing for work so I’ll keep plugging away and hopefully meet some friends and find something I can put my time into and keep my mind focused. 
 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jodawa said:

Hey I love Detroit! used to work in Windsor quite a bit and would spend a lot of time in Detroit trying all the beers and seeing shows! As funny as it sounds

Detroit has always been one of my favourite cities in the US, but mostly cause I’m a life long redwings fan!


Ya it’s pretty tough here and I don’t knowing I’ll be able to make it for much longer to be honest, it’s just such a small city with not a whole lot going on really and pretty much nothing for work so I’ll keep plugging away and hopefully meet some friends and find something I can put my time into and keep my mind focused. 
 

 

Detroit has gotten a lot better than it used to be.  The downtown area in particular.  It is still a hard scrabble town.  Not exactly with a "can do" attitude in general, at least in my experience.  At least the Red Wings made up for some of it.   It does have a lot of great stadiums and great sports teams (and the Detroit Lions too).  

 

However, now I have the Alps, the Chiemsee, health insurance, public transportation, workers rights, etc. etc. which makes me not want to go back home.  

 

If you are into sports, I would definitely join a Verein.  The way that many Germans meet friends is through a Verein. There are usually a ton of sports that you can do from badminton to football.  BTW, if you are into football  https://www.saarland-hurricanes.com/.   Also lots of non-sports things you can do too in a Verein.  

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020, 1:28:58, knotheadusc said:

Yeah, I haven't tried to deal with the local Tierheim yet.  We've been taking our time since we lost Zane, mainly because we've had travel and other things to attend to.  

 

We'll probably try to adopt from outside of the area, since it only appears to be an issue at Tierheims in areas where the military has a presence.  We do have a lot of locals who will vouch for us, too, and this time, we have a landlord who likes animals.  


Just wanted to offer an update.  We recently had a home visit with a rescue and got approved to adopt an adorable beagle mix from Sardinia.  He is now in Hamburg, so I’m not sure when we’ll be able to collect him, since we’re in Wiesbaden.  I look forward to having a new family member soon.  <3

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday in SWR2 radio there was a program about the state of asylum seekers trying to get asylum in Germany now. Because the Amts are closed their cases are on hold. Then the man giving out the information added, 'because the people of Germany are our first priority now.'

 

As I stood in the kitchen and heard that, I felt the meaning of recently becoming a German citizen wash over me. I am one of the people who is of first priority in this country now. I am German. So yes still like living in Germany!

 

That said, I DO care about asylum seekers and refugees. Many of my co-workers in Germany fled from the Middle East or Africa and had luck to make it into Germany, find work, and now live outside the lagers that were their first 'home' here. As a German, I feel they are ALSO first priority people and I hope when push comes to shove, they, as well as all the permanent residents, non-Germans, visa tourists, students, etc. that are now in Germany, will be treated with the same care, concern, and humanity and given the same help as we Germans. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they will, once they have proved they are genuine Asylum Seekers and not freeloaders from peaceful but poor countries.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like Germany, I love it.

 

I have done since I started learning the language when I was 15.

 

Amazing depth of culture and a fascinating history.

 

Great place to live, with a young family, an infinitesimally better standard of living than I would have back home in the UK (London) 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

I don't like Germany, I love it.

 

I have done since I started learning the language when I was 15.

 

Amazing depth of culture and a fascinating history.

 

Great place to live, with a young family, an infinitesimally better standard of living than I would have back home in the UK (London) 

 

I’m exactly the same. Except perhaps to add it’s a vast disappointment in cultural terms actually living here. Sure, the general atmosphere is far superior to the UK but that’s thanks to a whole generation of heroes who rebuilt after the war and have mostly died off leaving us a fairly mediocre bunch in the main just keeping business as usual ticking along. I’m very concerned there has to be a German renaissance or things will rapidly deteriorate.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we’re approved to adopt.  This is said dog.  His name is Jonny, but since my name is Jenny, I think we’ll call him Gianni or Gino... the dog in my profile pic is our dearly departed MacGregor.  Jonny could be his Sardinian brother.

5498F697-44A3-4ED4-B8FA-B681B56F1969.jpeg

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

Looks like we’re approved to adopt.  This is said dog.  His name is Jonny, but since my name is Jenny, I think we’ll call him Gianni or Gino... the dog in my profile pic is our dearly departed MacGregor.  Jonny could be his Sardinian brother.

5498F697-44A3-4ED4-B8FA-B681B56F1969.jpeg

You can just call him MacGregor II the Second Coming cant you?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

Looks like we’re approved to adopt.  This is said dog.  His name is Jonny, but since my name is Jenny, I think we’ll call him Gianni or Gino... the dog in my profile pic is our dearly departed MacGregor.  Jonny could be his Sardinian brother.

5498F697-44A3-4ED4-B8FA-B681B56F1969.jpeg

What a beaut!!! Wonderful your new friend is in good hands.

Dog in your profile pic: same here, knot. My dearly departed Max.

:(

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MacGregor was a very special soul...  I always pick dogs by their pictures and I haven’t been wrong yet.  We lost MacG in 2012, but he was unforgettable.  I don’t expect this pooch to be anyone but who he is... but I have a weird feeling that maybe MacG sent him our way.

 

I know...  a lot of woo.  My dogs are my angels.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are very wise, knotheadusc.  MacG did send your new friend your way. And, yes, your dogs, are your angels.

Look in the sky at the clouds and your buddy Mac is there..just look! And sending you love.

Max does the same.

I guess we dog lovers are wierdos..but why not?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we should be soppy about dogs. My first dog died when I was 15 years old and I was devastated as we had grown up together and it was my first experience of death. My mother was also hit hard and she never had another one as she said she couldn't handle the pain again.

Since then, I have had several dogs, which have all died for various reasons and I have learned to accept that  this is inevitable.

The important thing is that I have given them all a good life and I have learned to celebrate their lives and the time we had together and not to mourn so much their death,

I have a dog now, who we all love to pieces, and he will probably outlive me. That's the way it goes, right?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Acton said:

I don't think we should be soppy about dogs. My first dog died when I was 15 years old and I was devastated as we had grown up together and it was my first experience of death. My mother was also hit hard and she never had another one as she said she couldn't handle the pain again.

Since then, I have had several dogs, which have all died for various reasons and I have learned to accept that  this is inevitable.

The important thing is that I have given them all a good life and I have learned to celebrate their lives and the time we had together and not to mourn so much their death,

I have a dog now, who we all love to pieces, and he will probably outlive me. That's the way it goes, right?


This dog will be our sixth rescue animal.  Every single one has taught me something new.  I am “soppy” about all of them, because they have all been better humanitarians than I, or anyone I know, will ever be.  It hurts when they die, but I see it as a chance to give another dog a good home and learn more from the best humanitarians I have ever known.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get soppy. They are perennial toddlers who give us so much love and fun. I am soppy about all of mine, too.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't know when we're going to be able to go up to Hamburg and get him.  We were going to go up and back on Saturday, but my husband was just told this morning that we're not allowed to travel except for limited situations.  Apparently, some people on the Wiesbaden installation have come down with COVID-19.

 

This Coronavirus shit is really cramping everyone's style, although I see the need for social distancing.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now