Do you like living in Germany?

483 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2019, 9:59:23, HEM said:

Their back offices can be even worse.  A couple of years ago I got a letter from some central office of the UK bank I have been with since I was a student in 1970.  Along the lines of "We have reason to believe you are living in Germany based on a telephone number".  Now this letter was correctly addressed to my German residence & they have been sending statements letters & renewed debit cards for 30+ years.

The letter asked me to send a photocopy of my passport from the coutnry where "I claimed to be resident" and that this copy

had to be certified by a member of the UK law society or bar association.

I wrote back saying that as a British citizen what they were asking for would be highly illegal & that members of the UK law society are not easily to be found in Germany.

Many months later a similar letter arrived again.  I cannot recall whether they then called me or I them.  Speaking to some guy

whose accent came from the Indian subcontinent I tried to explain that you only get a passport from Germany if you are a German citizen & I was British!

Thus guy (who probably had never been outside of the UK in his life) seemed to have a really hard time understanding this.

Finally they seemed to have accepted the status quo.

So lack of knowledge & common sense.

That's funny. I regularly get asked by my UK Bank to prove who I am so time before last I sent them my Anmeldung from when we first registered in the town. They then told me it wasn't acceptable and that I needed to provide either a Utility Bill or a Bank statement from a UK bank. After falling down pissing with laughter I then asked them how would I get a utility bill or bank statement when everything is done online, how does that prove who you are and since when is an official document issued by the German authorities not acceptable. After that I made the right noises and haven't bothered with it since. Yes OK, I could ask the utility companies to send me a paper copy but really it is just farcical, they wouldn't understand what they are looking at.

oh gosh I had a very similar experience in the US when I had to open a new escrow account to hold the security deposit for my tenants.  I gave the teller my anmeldung and she almost broke into tears.  She really, really didn't want to do the deal but thank goodness MA state law requires banks to offer security deposit accounts without question.  I felt a bit bad for her but ffs it's just silly that people don't realize there are other ways to do things in the world.  I'm telling them "no - this is as official as it gets!  We have to register our address with the city and see here?  they STAMP it and everything"  "but what about your drivers license?" "here.  as you can see my address is not on my drivers license as it's here...on my registration."  but...but...but...

sigh.

6 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Dear LostBetween-Countries, There‘s just no perfect place IMO.  There are always compromises.  And these decisions can be difficult. I’m sorry that you are experiencing health problems and that it’s causing financial stress.  I hope that things improve.

Beth, of course there's no perfect place. Especially if you have and love people in both countries. My entire family is in Germany. My friends here used to be great but - as they are all living their own lives (as they should) it hits hard when you find yourself by yourself on your birthday, followed by Xmas (where a kind English family opened their home to me in the end). The cost of healthcare in the US doesn't need to be discussed, we all know it's insane - and at 38 I didn't think the issues I'm having would pop up, and as suddenly. Add the friends who have cancer and can't pay their bills (scary as hell just being on the outside)... and thanks, I do hope things improve soon as today I'm having another flare up... 

6 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Dear LostBetween-Countries, There‘s just no perfect place IMO.  There are always compromises.  And these decisions can be difficult. I’m sorry that you are experiencing health problems and that it’s causing financial stress.  I hope that things improve.

oops double post

14 hours ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

The weather, the people, just general way of life seems better

We went on holiday to Florida and felt the same. Perhaps we have been here too long now, perhaps we had become used to things..but we realised when we came back that we actually don't like (or to be honest, don't agree with), some German ways of doing things. 

But the question of "if not here, then where else?" is a difficult one to answer. 

What is it about Florida that you all are finding so attractive?  I am just curious.  Is it the beach?  Admittedly, as a ginger, although I grew up in the Deep South I only made one trip to Florida and that was enough for me.  It was the Panama City area and there was lots of sun and lots of drinking.  

Of course Florida is a big place with different cultural vibes.  The most horrid for me would be living in the big planned retirement community, The Villages, outside of Orlando, where it‘s Trumpland.  And then Tampa has some real seediness.

My BIL and SIL are retiring soon from New York to St. Augustine.  I guess the weather is a partial pull.

On 1/18/2017, 1:41:28, programdirector said:

But I would say the biggest thing for me is the people. I have never had a problem making friends in my life but I have none here. And my in laws are not nice people. I am envious of people who love it here. I really wanted to. For me life is more stressful here compared to what my life was in the states.

it sounds like you married a German and then moved into a small “backwards” area of Germany. It’s how we felt when we first moved here. Small village no car it was rough. Eventually we did adapt. For yourself obviously this is easier said than done. 

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

What is it about Florida that you all are finding so attractive?  I am just curious.  Is it the beach?  Admittedly, as a ginger, although I grew up in the Deep South I only made one trip to Florida and that was enough for me.  It was the Panama City area and there was lots of sun and lots of drinking.  

Of course Florida is a big place with different cultural vibes.  The most horrid for me would be living in the big planned retirement community, The Villages, outside of Orlando, where it‘s Trumpland.  And then Tampa has some real seediness.

My BIL and SIL are retiring soon from New York to St. Augustine.  I guess the weather is a partial pull.

It's not specifically Florida, but this is where I lived with my ex husband in the past as he was from Florida, so I had friends here to help with my return and to reintegrate easier. I'd consider NYC for sure but that wouldn't help my main problem - health care. I am more about that I actually love the English language and don't quite get on with German men :P so living in Germany was rough. lol. 

I live in Orlando. I really enjoy Disney so I spend quite a bit of time there. The traffic is horrendous but I am lucky to right now only live 1.5 miles from work. I don't go to the beach as often as one would think. The weather is nice from about October until April. Although thanks to global warming (it does exist) the 'winters' have become warmer. In the winter Florida weather is totally bipolar so today we'll have 81 (27C), tomorrow 86 (30C) and by Sunday we are down to 59 (15C) :huh:

How anyone would want to retire from NYC to St. Aug. is beyond me though - there is not much in St. Aug other than food and alcohol :P and the beach of course. 

2 hours ago, ZA1234 said:

We went on holiday to Florida and felt the same. Perhaps we have been here too long now, perhaps we had become used to things..but we realised when we came back that we actually don't like (or to be honest, don't agree with), some German ways of doing things. 

But the question of "if not here, then where else?" is a difficult one to answer. 

A holiday in Florida is wonderful, the people here are very open and friendly, especially compared to Germany. But I do urge caution because as I'm sure you know, it's just a holiday and real life is always different. 

Where in Germany are you? I am from the Nuremberg area and I often butted heads with people because their way was too rough for me. 

I'm a dual citizen so the 'if not here where else?' is a huge question because my options are almost endless with the EU and the US. :) 

Uggg ipad is acting up, but read an interesting article about how Canadians are so friendly that, paradoxically, it's hard to make friends!. I suspect part of the perceived coldness of Germans comes down to language. Us English speakers tend to be apologetic. “Ho I'm sorry we don¡t have that size....” where Germans (not just the German language” a “no” is sufficient and to us it sounds very rude. 

my nephew married a Finish girl and she's really struggled to adapt, eveyone complains she's way too direct. 

54 minutes ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

I'm a dual citizen so the 'if not here where else?' is a huge question because my options are almost endless with the EU and the US. :) 

Lucky You! What a gift.

Yes, of course holiday fun and newness etc!! Plus - Miami!!!! 

The people...weren't friendly, but they did not have this aggression that Germans have. No "live and let live"here. It seems like a hit and miss if any person I interact with here is going to bark, or be friendly, or complain.  

Perhaps its just that there is more space there, and the weather is better. But it threw up the Germans mannerisms that I had become used to, but don't like.

" , but they did not have this aggression that Germans have "

The murder rate in Miami is 10 times higher than the German one.

Different kind of aggression..

(I prefer being barked at.)

3 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

" , but they did not have this aggression that Germans have "

The murder rate in Miami is 10 times higher than the German one.

Different kind of aggression..

(I prefer being barked at.)

A friend posted murder rates in the US just today. Top 100 I think? Orlando is "only" in spot 35. but I do agree with the aggression of Germans, particularly when shopping :D It can be shocking. 

1 hour ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

A friend posted murder rates in the US just today. Top 100 I think? Orlando is "only" in spot 35. but I do agree with the aggression of Germans, particularly when shopping :D It can be shocking. 

Yeah, as long as you find the aggressiveness of Germans shocking and not the high murder rate in your city I think Germany is not for you.