Do you like living in Germany?

532 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Tonight we went to our Thermalbad.  It was wonderful. That's another thing I love about Germany.

Are these specific for Germany? That would be a surprise for me.

14 hours ago, lisa13 said:

ohhhh...I know how to cure you of this misery:  visit NYC and spend a week riding the subway.  After that you'll feel like Munich UBahn is paradise at any hour ;)

Or Tokyo!

4 hours ago, jeba said:

Are these specific for Germany? That would be a surprise for me.

Of course, but it's not quite the same.

On the Bodensee where I live the Thermalbads up and down the lake in Germany are just lovely.  It was beautiful to move in the water from inside to outside and view the evening stars over the lake.  In the summer you see the boats.  It’s so nice for families.  My 3 year old granddaughter was in heaven.  

Yes, I like it here. I went back to the UK for a quick parental visit just before Christmas and experienced the dubious delights of 'service' in the UK. Doesn't seem to matter if it's in a bank, hospital or any other customer-facing job they all seem to be totally lacking in common sense on the island.

5 minutes ago, AdHa said:

Yes, I like it here. I went back to the UK for a quick parental visit just before Christmas and experienced the dubious delights of 'service' in the UK. Doesn't seem to matter if it's in a bank, hospital or any other customer-facing job they all seem to be totally lacking in common sense on the island.

That’s so interesting. Can you give an example?

1 minute ago, BethAnnBitt said:

That’s so interesting. Can you give an example?

Well, there's general and specific cases. Generally it seems many people just switch off when they start work and answering a customer's question seems like a real imposition on their time.

As a specific example of lack of knowledge or support systems for their own staff - had an issue at banks trying to open a new account as a non-resident UK citizen - legally not an issue but branch staff and online chat are totally clueless.

I could drone on about taking my Dad to the only A&E department within a 1 hour drive which is only open 08:00-18:30 and the hospital parking system which lets foreign registered cars enter but doesn't recognize the license plate format so you can't buy a ticket to get out again. I could become even more boring about the local library where you need to go to a desk and request the local newspaper and show your driver's license because the local yokels have a habit of walking off with them.

31 minutes ago, AdHa said:

...parking system which lets foreign registered cars enter but doesn't recognize the license plate format so you can't buy a ticket to get out again.

Oh my... so how did that pan out?

1 hour ago, AdHa said:

As a specific example of lack of knowledge or support systems for their own staff - had an issue at banks trying to open a new account as a non-resident UK citizen - legally not an issue but branch staff and online chat are totally clueless.

Their back offices can be even worse.  A couple of years ago I got a letter from some central office of the UK bank I have been with since I was a student in 1970.  Along the lines of "We have reason to believe you are living in Germany based on a telephone number".  Now this letter was correctly addressed to my German residence & they have been sending statements letters & renewed debit cards for 30+ years.

The letter asked me to send a photocopy of my passport from the coutnry where "I claimed to be resident" and that this copy

had to be certified by a member of the UK law society or bar association.

I wrote back saying that as a British citizen what they were asking for would be highly illegal & that members of the UK law society are not easily to be found in Germany.

Many months later a similar letter arrived again.  I cannot recall whether they then called me or I them.  Speaking to some guy

whose accent came from the Indian subcontinent I tried to explain that you only get a passport from Germany if you are a German citizen & I was British!

Thus guy (who probably had never been outside of the UK in his life) seemd to have a really hard time understanding this.

Finally they seemd to have accepted the status quo.

So lack of knowledge & common sense.

Generally no but I like the ability to travel easily and inexpensively in Europe. The cost on some travel Packages one can find sometimes seem unreal. I recently went through a down size and job loss and we are moving to the Harz from Berlin. So far my experience there has been totally different than berlin. The people and neighbors have been approachable, friendly and helpful even in the rathaus!! So i might change to loving Germany. I know i love the cost of living 260 a month warm with a view, the owner even took us for lunch after signing the contract.. will keep you posted if the good feelings grow stronger. Oh i do love german separation packages negotiated via a works council that why moving to Harz now is possible

1 hour ago, lunasuenos said:

So far my experience there has been totally different than berlin.

Well, Berlin is known for being miserable, and in a lot of ways it isn't "really" Germany. They speak German in Berlin, sure, but you can't apply Berlin experiences to the rest of the country. 

The Harz region is nice, though its glory days ended in 1989. 

11 hours ago, optimista said:

Oh my... so how did that pan out?

Went back inside to reception and after clearing the confusion that it is indeed possible for a Brit to own a German-registered car they said they had done something in their system. Whether they really did or not I don't know. Maybe I'll get a fine in the post in the next few months.

Late to this party but -  since I'm 100% between two worlds at all times here's my take...

I "hated" living back in Germany. Despite being born and raised there I had adapted to the US way of life after living in FL for a large part of my life. The weather, the people, just general way of life seems better over here (in the US). 

So, when I returned to Germany in 2016 I tried for about 2 1/2 years and decided in April 2019 to go back to FL... I felt great about my decision. Fast forward a couple of months and I start having medical problems. $3000 in medical expenses later and today starting over with a $1000 deductible and $5000 out of pocket I wonder whether my choice was short sighted... 

I don't know where I'll end up.It's certainly interesting to read how many don't like it in Germany but decide to stay anyway. 

On 12/30/2019, 10:59:23, HEM said:

Their back offices can be even worse.  A couple of years ago I got a letter from some central office of the UK bank I have been with since I was a student in 1970.  Along the lines of "We have reason to believe you are living in Germany based on a telephone number".  Now this letter was correctly addressed to my German residence & they have been sending statements letters & renewed debit cards for 30+ years.

The letter asked me to send a photocopy of my passport from the coutnry where "I claimed to be resident" and that this copy

had to be certified by a member of the UK law society or bar association.

I wrote back saying that as a British citizen what they were asking for would be highly illegal & that members of the UK law society are not easily to be found in Germany.

Many months later a similar letter arrived again.  I cannot recall whether they then called me or I them.  Speaking to some guy

whose accent came from the Indian subcontinent I tried to explain that you only get a passport from Germany if you are a German citizen & I was British!

Thus guy (who probably had never been outside of the UK in his life) seemd to have a really hard time understanding this.

Finally they seemd to have accepted the status quo.

So lack of knowledge & common sense.

Your penultimate paragraph, HEM...the guy had probably never been INSIDE the UK in his life!

Dear LostBetween-Countries, There‘s just no perfect place IMO.  There are always compromises.  And these decisions can be difficult. I’m sorry that you are experiencing health problems and that it’s causing financial stress.  I hope that things improve.

Too true, Beth. As you probably know, we are weighing up the pros and cons of leaving Crete and moving back to Hamburg. Not yet a critical issue but it could be one day: the medical services...not expensive as in the USA (re LostBetweenCountries ) but if you are on your own in hospital without family members..who brings you food?

On 12/28/2019, 11:14:54, john g. said:

Rob- about 25 years ago, my da Bronx buddy Tom ( RIP ) and I ran a 3 day seminar for Airbus engineers at a hotel at the North Sea.

We had a role play and the head of the department was there and he was unpopular. He didn’t like it that we insisted on first names! But he had to abide by the rules!

😀

The role play involved each member of the group playing out an animal and he had to be a snake writhing on the floor!

( a few drinks were involved! )

😜

As the group departed that Saturday afternoon, he confided in me: “ how can I be per Du on Monday?”

Simple- don’t be so hung up. Lighten up!

😜

Legendary stuff.

it must have felt like joining some weird fraternity. Taking the red pill.

The paradigm leap involved in going Du is harder than accepting relativistic physics

Ha, sos! In those days, going back about 25 years, and because a boss was there, the drinks were free and many...and we even had a phone in the classroom to call at any time to ask for reinforcements! The phone was often busy...

:P

Even doubles were allowed!

And a new drink was invented..TGV...( with respect to the French-based Airbus Toulouse )..tren de grande vitesse..but then corrupted to Tequila, Gin and Vodka...a killer, believe you me!!!

Then the bean counters in Toulouse took over and it was down to singles!!!

And I still remember being 18 years old and arriving in Bonn to start work at a factory and the equally 18 or 19 year old girl at reception addressed me as Herr Gunn and did the Sie thing. I still remember being amazed!