Do you like living in Germany?

584 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The combustion engine is old technology, we still use them because oil business would do anything to make us use them until there is no more oil.

Your belief in this conspiracy theory suggest that I used the best example possible.

6 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Most research for alternative solutions have been hindered years after years. Just recently electric cars have started to make more noise but they are far from been a real replacement.

First cars were all electric. They were replaced by combustion engine cars because oil was dirt chip and electricity was tard expensive.

Let's see, which conspiracy theory lies behind checks in the USA. Must be a lobby of paper producing factories!

Back to the topic: I wanted to say I like Germany because there are less conspiracies here, although this is not true. But at least the conspiracies people believe here are not so harmful.

I actually like the fact that here older technology is used and there isn't a rush to replace things that work with evermore IT. How often have IT systems been introduced that haven't been properly developed - I'm thinking Microsoft. How often in the UK have Bank's IT systems crashed and left the customer with difficulties? Nat West last year I think on at least one occasion. How often have people's details being hacked and stolen from major companies IT systems. I like the fact that you can still use money here, that banking here is done in a more traditional way. There is a lot to be said for doing things on paper, after all GCHQ in the UK have warned the major political parties to expect the Russians to hack their systems before the next election.

On 1/17/2017, 4:47:36, jauburn said:

All things considered, based upon where you came from, do you like living in Germany? Why or why not?

Hi, a bit late to the party!

I love it here in Germany, having lived in England most of my life (with some early years in the tropics[!])...

I have a "biased" (or perhaps open-minded?) view of these things since my parents spoke French and German round the house as I was growing up and I drank in the German roots of the English language with Tolkien and all that, not quite with mother's milk but certainly with nutritionally questionable secondary school dinners.

I studied here for a year on ERASMUS and always wanted to come back.

Childcare is affordable, there are jobs and here in Frankfurt I don't miss the multi-kulti of London that much given I can actually afford to live here...

On 1/17/2017, 4:47:36, jauburn said:
1 hour ago, French bean said:

I actually like the fact that here older technology is used and there isn't a rush to replace things that work with evermore IT. How often have IT systems been introduced that haven't been properly developed - I'm thinking Microsoft. How often in the UK have Bank's IT systems crashed and left the customer with difficulties? Nat West last year I think on at least one occasion. How often have people's details being hacked and stolen from major companies IT systems. I like the fact that you can still use money here, that banking here is done in a more traditional way. There is a lot to be said for doing things on paper, after all GCHQ in the UK have warned the major political parties to expect the Russians to hack their systems before the next election.

All things considered, based upon where you came from, do you like living in Germany? Why or why not?

We could all use a little more of the German attitude to tech (if it's fair to call it German per se)...

The internet is great but why have 1 big one (steered obviously by America)?

I'm not advocating a Great Wall approach but in terms of the open Web the thing is insane.

Who would plan to have 1 giant intranet **for the world** with no accountable moderators, no process for vetting content, 1 central owner raking in advertising revenue and no subscription fees?

And yet: Facebook.

What speaks against states regulating (parts of?) the Web in different ways?!

Here in Germany there's an alternative to Facebook (Nebenan.de) which requires address verification to join (it's probably not perfect but compared to an anonymous email address?!)... definitely a German way of seeing things, maybe not perfect but it shows they actually care and don't always automatically jump on the Progress Train before the tracks are built.

In case you couldn't tell, another reason I'm happy to've moved here...!

9 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

definitely a German way of seeing things, maybe not perfect but it shows they actually care and don't always automatically jump on the Progress Train before the tracks are built.

Unfortunately this is exactly what they are doing in terms of energy...

4 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I would like to have checks in Germany in addition to all the technology. They actually exist, but somehow not available to private individuals.

You mean what Brits call cheques, like described here? My parents still use them to draw money from their Kreissparkasse-Konto once a month (I can't get them to use ATMs :rolleyes:), I wasn't aware that they are restricted to a certain circle of customers. I don't use them myself anymore, but the last time I had some, I ordered them from the information desk at my local branch and collected them a day or two later.

10 minutes ago, keroleen said:

You mean what Brits call cheques, like described here

Yes, cheques.

It seems I am wrong on this. My bank doesn't offer cheques, so I thought they're only available for companies. First and last time I saw a cheque was the dividend payment by Techniker Krankenkasse.

Just checked with IngDiba: They don't issue cheques.

The bad thing with cheques is that the issuer can book the money back within ? weeks.

If you want to buy a little car from your neghbour e.g. an X5 or his house for 500000€, you could ask your bank for a

"Bundesbankbestätigter Scheck" ,https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best%C3%A4tigter_Bundesbank-Scheck

It's like paying with cash. You can't book the money back. However, it is only valid for some days.

47 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

The bad thing with cheques is that the issuer can book the money back within ? weeks.

The same as direct debit (Lastschrift). This is however consumer friendly: never used this function, but still want to have it in case of mistake/argument with a company.

47 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

If you want to buy a little car from your neghbour e.g. an X5 or his house for 500000€, you could ask your bank for a

"Bundesbankbestätigter Scheck" ,https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best%C3%A4tigter_Bundesbank-Scheck

It's like paying with cash. You can't book the money back. However, it is only valid for some days.

Why not bank transfer?

Cheques are a money of trust: it is handy to pay off little debts to your friends or pay a hotel bill if your credit card for some reason is blocked. In situations where more caution is required, cheques should also not be used.

On 3/16/2017, 8:46:46, nina_glyndwr said:

I lived in London from 1995 to 1999 and did 13 different activities, e.g. Open University courses, netball, line dancing, skating, swimming, tae-kwon-do etc. Did I make a British friend there? Not one. Boyfriends came from the UK, Morocco, Nigeria, the Turkish bit of Cyprus. Female friends from East Berlin and Ghana.

Did I ever feel I fitted in in my home country of the UK? Never. I was never your usual Brit. Since I come from Wales and have a German mother, you can imagine how popular I was with the English when I studied at university. A lot of English people dislike the Welsh AND the Germans. Double whammy. My friends at university included one English woman - the rest came from Germany, Mauritius, India, Algeria...

In the UK, I was told I was 'not normal'. Over here in Germany, I am not expected to conform becasue I am a foreigner. I have so much more freedom to be myself here without anyone telling me I am 'not normal' and being shunned because of it.

I find it a little surprising that a very mildly varied "background" would make you feel like a pariah in London of all places.

But I know what you mean - even the tiniest deviation from "British" parochialism is viewed with a raised eyebrow, or not acknowledged as existing at all.

I supposed you could say that of many places though. Germany's been relatively successful (not only in modern times) in tolerating people who don't just fit the mold.

Partly because it's a big sprawling vague territory and it's simply impractical to get too finicky about what is and isn't Germany (plenty of other nits to pick!)

It's not too bad.  For me,  I have my ups and downs here and some things take more getting used to than others.  Making friends here is what is difficult for me as I don't party or drink much.  Other than that its ok.  Ich bin zufrieden.

Hi, no I don't like it. I love many things from Germany but I find the people can be really hard. And I have found racism, due to skin color, country, they Germans won't admit but I have experienced it several times. 

I like the nature, landscapes, security, the cost of living is not so expensive, the small supermarkets with the basic products everything to a good low price/cost,  but I don't like that people behave so cold, sometimes aggressive. Also they can be terribly direct, which is not nice when they don't like your German (a German once told me "your German (when I speak) irritates me"). 

I don't understand why we're so different I like they have many rules but I feel like a foreigner always, and if I speak to them just being friendly they see me strange or cut me fastly and anyway without a good German level is hard. 

I rather to be only for some short period of time. Depresses me . But there's no perfect place. Also is me that I don't feel well because people here are very rude and cold.  

But despite that (which I really don't like), I like Germany and admire how they have built this country, rules, etc. 

Like CynthiaM, I also don't really like it here.  I'm from New York, married to a German woman and I'm German-American (my father was born in Bremen in 1921) !  Even though I've lived here since 2010, I still fell like a foreigner.  OK, my German is only Between B1 and B2 but at my age learning a language is difficult.  As soon as I start to say something in German, the question is "do you come from Britian or the US?"  My wife used to handle all the German stuff but she had a stroke 2 years ago and she can't manage the Amts and Krankenversicherung any more  so I go it alone.  People overall are not too friendly but I do find that Germans here in the east are more friendly than up north.  There is only one guy that I could slightly call  a friend, and certainly none of my neighbors.  Because of my wife's medical problem, I am basically stuck here although I try to visit my children and grandchildren in NY a couple times a year.  I really can't see why younger people would come here at all !!

2 hours ago, garyh911 said:

People overall are not too friendly but I do find that Germans here in the east are more friendly than up north. 

Down here in Baden-Württemberg most of the people are friendly.They are often wary of new people but it doesn`t seem to make any difference if those new people are foreigners or from other parts of Germany.

What I do find though is that many of the staff in Amts seem to go out of their way to be unfriendly and cold.

2 hours ago, CinthiaM said:

And I have found racism, due to skin color, country, they Germans won't admit but I have experienced it several times. 

Sadly in these times you`re going to find that in many countries.

On 13/03/2017, 18:47:45, French bean said:

I agree...look for example at Apple removing the headphone jack to make the iPhone and MacBook look cooler, forcing people to use Bluetooth headphones. In theory it should be fine, but my experience is that Bluetooth pairing doesn't work 5 times out of 10.

I'm glad I have a MacBook with an integrated headphone jack, I can still use my old cable headphones, and don't have to waste precious time messing around trying to debug Bluetooth issues...

Last time I wanted to use my other bluetooth headphones, the pairing wasn't working, MacOS got stuck and rebooted out of the blue, corrupting some data on my SSD.

I'll stick with old reliable technology, than the latest hipster fad that promises to solve all your problems...

I've pointed out in the past, I'm not a trailbazer but more of a Dinosaur, if it works don't fix it. But in the modern world of capitalism, companies that don't innovate die and the electronics / IT market is so susceptible to this. However I despise the fact that we ultimately don't have a choice with It because companies will deliberately stop supporting older technology to force us into buying their newest gadget, whether it's fully developed and safe or not.

12 hours ago, Keleth said:

Sadly in these times you`re going to find that in many countries.

How do you mean "in these times"? Are you suggesting that the world was less racist 50 or 100 years ago?

I think he means that, despite the advances made, racism is unfortunately still rife and has become more acute post the 2008 financial crisis due to the rise of populism. But racism also works both ways, go into certain areas of London or Berlin as a white guy and see what happens.

35 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

How do you mean "in these times"? Are you suggesting that the world was less racist 50 or 100 years ago?

Nope it`s more racist now than it was 10 or 20 years ago but less than it was 40 or 50 years ago.