Do you like living in Germany?

361 posts in this topic

@diding Spring and Summer are absolutely beautiful in Germany. I hope you will enjoy the parks, the forests and happier people in the warmer months. :) 

I've been here five years.  I mostly like living here, I have a good lifestyle, it's a beautiful place to live, I don't have to drive for everything, and in my line of work, I can work all year (a biggie for me!), but it still doesn't feel like home though.  It has taken a really long time to make friends and make contacts in the community, it feels like it's just starting now. 

The things that I miss from home the most are the general level of openness and friendliness among strangers on the street, the relative ease of becoming part of a community, common courtesy and neighbourliness.  I still register the locals as pushy and rude, even though I know theoretically that's just the way they are, they don't mean anything by it.  

Even after five years, the 'move back home question' still gets debated on a regular basis.  So far, Germany has always come out on top, by a little bit.

I've been here about 15 years. I like it mostly but I still get my days when the German people really annoy me - whether it's their cold attitude, aggressive Audi drivers, pedantic rules,  etc. But on the whole the good outweighs the bad.

Yes, I like living here. 

It's not perfect but, on balance, I thinks it's great.  For me it's important not to react to the frustrations (and there are many) by saying (or even thinking) "It's not like that where I come from".

No, but I have a good job. I lived my whole live before in London so coming to Cologne felt like I'd stepped back 10 years. Lived here for 3 years now, still get frustrated about a lot of things. If I had the chance for a similar job/pay in London I'd move back in a heartbeat. 

I love it.  But just for the new people: it took me about 4 years to stop hating it, then another 2 to warm up to the love. 

I am really adoring the beer garden bike ride lifestyle, and the vereinlife. 

57 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Before Sept 2015:   Yes, Great country to live in

After Sept 2015:       Continental Europe have gone down the pan.

Same here. Was the safest place in the world till Sept 2015.

Spring, summer, fall are great here.

Winter is miserable.

The pedantic rules are starting to look real good compared to the chaotic red tape I've encountered in the US, especially with it all getting much much worse exactly now. I am currently drowning in American bureaucracy... even the various official departments don't know why it's this way.

It might not be utopia but my home country isn't either.

I've had two chances to return to the UK in my 18 years here and I'm still here. Says it all really.

Very interesting responses so far. I hope others chime in. When I lived there, I, too, disliked it at first, but by the time I left (for the U.S.) I was depressed about leaving, and I still never learned to like the U.S. again after being back for almost 20 years. Now I hope to be returning to Germany very soon. Just wanted to hear what others were thinking these days. No doubt a lot of one's satisfaction has to do with particular circumstances--job, etc.--but to me going to Germany is culturally like walking into a room full of sane adults vs. the U.S. these days.

I think there is no country in the world where I would love everything and nothing would annoy me. The number of annoyances in Germany is quite low, especially in Bavaria.

Things are I love in particular:

1. Food, especially beer (it's officially considered basic food in Bavaria), the culture of bakeries, Bratwurst and recently I also start loving German wines (Silvaner/Weißer Burgunder are the best ones, Riesling is also ok).

2. Climate, although this is region specific: 200 km north in Saxony it's quite colder than I like. Winter should be white, summer should be green, autumn should be yellow.

3. No speed limits on the autobahn, although the greens are taking over, so understand this freedom will be taken away some time. I will rent the most expensive Porsche or Ferrari at the last day this is allowed.

8 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I will rent the most expensive Porsche or Ferrari at the last day this is allowed.

You will probably not be alone. Better book early. B)

I feel a bit out of place when I go visit in the U.S. When I meet new people there, they will inevitably ask me which church I attend and ask me if I'm Clemson or Carolina - the 2  college sport rivals. They literally say, "Are you Clemson or Carolina?"

I do love eating prime rib, King crab legs, good nachos, etc. when there but have no problem with all of the good food I get here in Germany and I eat much healthier here.

My favorite thing about living here is the feeling of security which includes many things - no guns, affordable good health insurance and feeling secure in retirement. I also appreciate all of the different international cultures here compared to my redneck state of South Carolina. Oh, and I don't need to drive anywhere unless I choose to do so - 3 cheers for public transportation, bike paths and sidewalks everywhere!

And last but not least, we don't have President Trump!

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

And last but not least, we don't have President Trump!

But you (we) do have President Gauck :(

Ah, I love politics, too, especially:

1. The federalism and parliamentary republic. This has multiple advantages but in particular no separatist movements like in Spain or UK;

2. The parties here, they are mostly centrist and I am a centrist myself;

3. The idea of Big Coalition when two opposite parties unite together to form the government. This is much better than football-style war politics in another countries.

7 minutes ago, HEM said:

But you (we) do have President Gauck :(

No power for president is also good here, methinks.