moving to lindau (bodensee) for work

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I might get a job offer in Lindau (bodensee). It is a research and development engineer position in a automotive company. I have 4 years of experience in R&D. I have few questions,

1. I'm thinking to quote 58k as expected salary. is it a reasonable package for a single person to live in Lindau and considering 4 years of exp from non-industry? 
2. Relocation package negotiation: I have to move from Hamburg to Lindau. What should i consider as moving cost and how much i should ask in my case?

Please kindly help me!

I have bachelor's and masters degree in engineering. Its a Computer vision-software development position in an automotive company R&D division.  I had an HR interview recently, I asked for 52k. Then the HR suggested that there won't be christmas bonus /13th month salary, so hinted me to ask higher package considering the location lindau (bavaria, eg. rents are high in lindau ), my experience in the relevant area and living cost. Can someone help me to figure out how can i come up with a reasonable package if there is no christmas bonus ?

On 1/25/2017, 12:16:26, Anikha said:

I have bachelor's and masters degree in engineering. Its a Computer vision-software development position in an automotive company R&D division.  I had an HR interview recently, I asked for 52k. Then the HR suggested that there won't be christmas bonus /13th month salary, so hinted me to ask higher package considering the location lindau (bavaria, eg. rents are high in lindau ), my experience in the relevant area and living cost. Can someone help me to figure out how can i come up with a reasonable package if there is no christmas bonus ?

So sorry you only got this attention seeking idiot replying to you.

I have a friend of mine that worked as an engineer very near Lindau. He said that you would expect around 60k for 4 years experience in the company that you are applying for (he knows which it is and knows people that work there!). The company belongs to the IG Metall Gewerkschaft so the salary is the same for all of Bavaria.

1 hour ago, Atrag said:

So sorry you only got this attention seeking idiot replying to you.

What I hadn´t even started to reply yet.:P But here we go: The fact that the labour agreement with IG Metall applys doesn´t mean they can´t pay more. It only means they cannot pay you less than stipulated in the labour agreement.

As an engineer she is nontariff, so I don't think that labour agreements with IG Metal apply (except pay rises)

I would ask for 60k. The people there seem to be friendly, so no risk from your side.

I would just ask them whether they pay your move from Hamburg to Lindau. Possibly you will have to stay in a hotel until you found a flat. Will they pay for it?

(My first company paid a guy who packed everything in my old apartment, the movers and the hotel. I only gave them the bills)

Lake Constance is not a bad place to live. Water -> you will have to buy a sailing boat. Snow in winter and the Swiss Alps -> you will have to learn skiing.

The bad things: a lot of tourism. The roads will be full. You will need a bicycle to go to work.

3 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

As an engineer she is nontariff, so I don't think that labour agreements with IG Metal apply (except pay rises)

As far as I am aware, the tariff has the positions 10, 11 and 12 for engineers. 

7 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Why are you assuming she will be AT? 

I think Atrag is right and that she'll be between 10 - 12.

@Anikha

I'd highly recommend reading up on the collective agreements:

http://www.igmetall-bayern.de/nachrichten/ansicht/datum/2016/06/30/titel/neue-tariftabellen-im-netz/

http://www.igmetall-bayern.de/download

You might want to also consider contacting the union directly for advice.

Lovely people! I did not get the offer :(. They selected someone else!. Thanks for the support guys! I have to look for other opportunities.