Private health insurance with secondment

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could please help me. I have responded to an established thread 2 months ago without a response and have also reached out to Starshallow, who has been a huge help, but I have been unsuccessful with my followups. I am not sure what I have done wrong, so I'm reaching out for other opinions. I apologize in advance but I appreciate your time.

To start, the visa my family and I are applying for is the Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Ehepartner und Kinder von Auszubildenden, Studierenden, Wissenschaftlern und Lehrern, as my husband is a student at FU Berlin. He purchased his own plan, Mawista, and had his visa approved. My family and I are under my private health insurance, Cigna Global out of Scotland or Belgium (not sure which - I was in contact with someone from Scotland, but was told by my financial institution they were coming out of Belgium?). This insurance is part of my employer's benefits plan who also contributes a percentage. I have coverage in Germany, supposedly, and have excluded USA coverage as we planned on not going back for at least 2 years, which is the duration of my husband's studies. I have asked Cigna Global to fill out a form I received from someone, Bescheinigung für die Erteilung/Verlängerung von Aufenthaltstiteln über einen Krankenversicherungsschutz, but they could not sign it because my policy exceeded the 300 Euro plan it states in the form, unfortunately (Thanks to Starshallow who gave me the heads up about this possibility!).

I currently work from home remotely for my US employer. I was not sent by my employer for a specific task, but rather was allowed to work remotely, so my family can remain together. Through Starshallow's advice regarding US/D 101, I have reached out to my employer, who submitted an application on my behalf and I have received a copy of my approved US/DE101 form.

Per the bottom of said form, it states, "The above worker meets the conditions set forth in Article 6.2 of the agreement and, as a result, is subject to the laws of the United States and is exempt from the German laws on retirement, survivors and disability pension, sickness insurance, and long-term nursing care for the period [date inserted]"

I had my husband look into this further to better understand the situation and it looked like the form suggests I am only exempt from Germany's public health insurance, not the mandatory private insurance required for me to obtain our visa. My question is, even with the secondment, will I still have an issue with the Ausländerbehörde because Cigna Global does not meet the Germans healthcare standard, regardless of whether I have this secondment or not? 

I'm thinking of writing to Cigna again, asking to formulate a plan that actually complies with the German laws, but I fear I will be unsuccessful in that and will be stuck with a useless insurance that I'm overpaying for.

Any help or opinion will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Starshollow and John G are  well respected Insurance brokers on TT- so they are the ones with "the Knowledge"!

Have you asked at Auslaender Amt this question?

3 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Starshollow and John G are  well respected Insurance brokers on TT- so they are the ones with "the Knowledge"!

Have you asked at Auslaender Amt this question?

Thank you for the quick reply. No, I have not asked the people there as the last time we went there, I did not know about this US/DE 101 form. The only thing they told me was they could not verify if Cigna Global complied with German law. I tried going there again a week ago, but was turned away by the doorman to try again another week. We have an appointment set for February, but I wanted to try to get things done sooner.

1 hour ago, PixieKCMO said:

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could please help me. I have responded to an established thread 2 months ago without a response and have also reached out to Starshallow, who has been a huge help, but I have been unsuccessful with my followups. I am not sure what I have done wrong, so I'm reaching out for other opinions. I apologize in advance but I appreciate your time.

To start, the visa my family and I are applying for is the Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Ehepartner und Kinder von Auszubildenden, Studierenden, Wissenschaftlern und Lehrern, as my husband is a student at FU Berlin. He purchased his own plan, Mawista, and had his visa approved. My family and I are under my private health insurance, Cigna Global out of Scotland or Belgium (not sure which - I was in contact with someone from Scotland, but was told by my financial institution they were coming out of Belgium?). This insurance is part of my employer's benefits plan who also contributes a percentage. I have coverage in Germany, supposedly, and have excluded USA coverage as we planned on not going back for at least 2 years, which is the duration of my husband's studies. I have asked Cigna Global to fill out a form I received from someone, Bescheinigung für die Erteilung/Verlängerung von Aufenthaltstiteln über einen Krankenversicherungsschutz, but they could not sign it because my policy exceeded the 300 Euro plan it states in the form, unfortunately (Thanks to Starshallow who gave me the heads up about this possibility!).

I currently work from home remotely for my US employer. I was not sent by my employer for a specific task, but rather was allowed to work remotely, so my family can remain together. Through Starshallow's advice regarding US/D 101, I have reached out to my employer, who submitted an application on my behalf and I have received a copy of my approved US/DE101 form.

Per the bottom of said form, it states, "The above worker meets the conditions set forth in Article 6.2 of the agreement and, as a result, is subject to the laws of the United States and is exempt from the German laws on retirement, survivors and disability pension, sickness insurance, and long-term nursing care for the period [date inserted]"

I had my husband look into this further to better understand the situation and it looked like the form suggests I am only exempt from Germany's public health insurance, not the mandatory private insurance required for me to obtain our visa. My question is, even with the secondment, will I still have an issue with the Ausländerbehörde because Cigna Global does not meet the Germans healthcare standard, regardless of whether I have this secondment or not? 

I'm thinking of writing to Cigna again, asking to formulate a plan that actually complies with the German laws, but I fear I will be unsuccessful in that and will be stuck with a useless insurance that I'm overpaying for.

Any help or opinion will be much appreciated. Thank you!

No, with the secondment you have now (congrats on pushing this thru with your employer, btw !!) you do not need to join either a German public or German private health insurance at all because you are not "Versicherungspflichtig" in Germany. CIGNA or any other internatinal insurance is fully sufficient for coverage while being seconded to Germany (CIGNA is used by many German internatinal corporations for employees they second to Germany, it is also the insurance provider/underwriter for all EU-employees working in Germany etc). If anyone at the Ausländeramt gives you some troubles about that because they do not understand how secondment works and what it entails, get a specialized Visa/immigration lawyer involved. I/we recommend Anne Glinka for this on our own website: Anne Glinka - lawyer .
While I can obviously not comment on her fees (which are usually regulated by law anyway), according to my knowledge she charges something like 300 EUR or so to write a scathing/explanatory letter to the responsible "Ausländeramt" in order to educate them and make them play ball.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

On 1/11/2017, 10:22:44, Starshollow said:

No, with the secondment you have now (congrats on pushing this thru with your employer, btw !!) you do not need to join either a German public or German private health insurance at all because you are not "Versicherungspflichtig" in Germany. CIGNA or any other internatinal insurance is fully sufficient for coverage while being seconded to Germany (CIGNA is used by many German internatinal corporations for employees they second to Germany, it is also the insurance provider/underwriter for all EU-employees working in Germany etc). If anyone at the Ausländeramt gives you some troubles about that because they do not understand how secondment works and what it entails, get a specialized Visa/immigration lawyer involved. I/we recommend Anne Glinka for this on our own website: Anne Glinka - lawyer .
While I can obviously not comment on her fees (which are usually regulated by law anyway), according to my knowledge she charges something like 300 EUR or so to write a scathing/explanatory letter to the responsible "Ausländeramt" in order to educate them and make them play ball.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I apologize for my late response on this matter. Thank you so much for the reassurance! I will still read the link you had provided before regarding the general laws to educate myself. Hopefully we will be helped by someone who knows about the secondment, as this ordeal has been very stressful for me. You have truly been a great help :) 

I wanted to follow up on this. I went to the Auslaenderbehoerde today and they told me the secondment still wasn't valid enough, stating what I have was just an exemption on a travel insurance and that if I wanted to stay in this country, I needed to get a different insurance as they state what I currently have is a traveler's insurance, which it isn't.

I have no doubt you were right, Starshollow, in that they do not understand how secondments work. Additionally, I think they are merely denying because of their ignorance (not meant as an insult, just an observation that they might actually not know a lot about it). One of them even supposedly got on the phone with her boss who also said it wouldn't work. 

I went through great lengths to find and read the article to understand the US/DE agreement beforehand, but they were still not interested (http://dip21.bundestag.de/dip21/btd/08/024/0802435.pdf). 

This has been very frustrating, but it looks like I will have to concede and give up my efforts and go with what they suggest, which is to get on my husband's plan. I would have done that first had I known it was going to give me this much trouble to, in the end, not work out, but it was because I had my own employer-benefit health insurance and really shouldn't have to pay for another insurance out of principal. 

If I had the means, I would reach out to your suggested lawyer, Ms. Anne Glinka, but I can't justify 300 Euro for another legal letter that may or may not be accepted by them, and they will ultimately tell me I just need 'actual' insurance. That money is going to go towards my and my children's visas.

I only wanted to follow up to share my experience with my secondment and student-spousal family visa. I still appreciate all the help I have received thus far, but in the end, I suppose I have to let them win!