How do you get into a Jack Wolfskin jacket without a rucked up sleeve.?

20 posts in this topic

Is it me, or does anyone else have difficulties getting their arms through the sleeves of a Jack Wolfskin fleecy 3-in-1 type jacket.?  I've tried and tried to find a way so that my shirt ( if not wearing a jumper) or jumper sleeve doesn't get rucked up with the inside of the fleece sleeve - but no.! no matter what I do, I end up wrestling with the sleeve / jumper / shirt / cuff to get it all comfortable..  It really, really, really anoys me - so much so that I have started wearing my old "maier", that looks fit for the scrap heap and I only kept to wear in the garden or walk the dog in.  At least the sleeves of the fleece are lined and I can slip my arms in and out until the cows come home without incident..!

I've just been in touch with Jack Wolfskkin and they tell me it must be my jumper..! really.?

All comment / tips welcome...

My 3 year old has this problem with his jackets. We just ask him to hold the shirt sleeves by his hands while we dress him.

The model I had had little loops at the ends of the sleeves of the inner fleece that are elastic and slip over inner buttons or loops on the inner sleeve of the outer parka shell. The JW coat was ok but the zipper broke and it didn't keep me that warm when it got  really  cold. It started looking ratty after a couple of years. I won't buy another one.

@emkay : no, that's not my review ( I only wish I could 'german' that good.!)   nice to see that I'm not bonkers though and others have a similar issue..  It might be unfair to target Jack Wolfskin as other 3-in-1 fleecy jackets without a lining in the sleeve may also be difficult - I guess the only way to be sure it to try the jacket on in store with what is your 'typical' clothes on.. i.e. jumper / sweatshirt / shirt etc..

I might dig the receipt out and see what Kaufhof say about a refund or credit - although I did buy my jacket in the spring and have tried to find a way to live with it - this of course will propably mean I'm too late to complain..  :-(

btw : I tried holding my cuffs etc. when inserting, however, the fleece sleeve just pulls through and I end up having to tuck / shrug the sleeve back up the jacket sleeve..

I've read 1000s of threads on this forum.Some useful,some funny,some controversial,some silly but I never thought I would ever see a thread based solely on someone wondering how to stop their sleeves getting rucked up while putting on a jacket.

Normally wouldn't read the thread but my mind boggled when I saw the title and had to check it out because I couldn't believe someone would actually compose a thread asking such a question.

Oh and in case you're wondering Spider Pig or Kannas has the correct answer.

In all of my/our experiences with every brand of fleece jackets that are not lined, we have the same problem. So much so that Himself will never, ever buy another fleece jacket - unless of course, he find one with lining. My question is why aren't there more fleece jackets with linings?

And, yes, one cad hold on to one's shirt sleeves while putting on a fleece jacket but we find it to be a huge PITA.

Personally, I would never by Jack Wolfskin products but every other brand of fleece jackets has the same problem - Northface included. Perhaps those who have no problem have jackets with much wider sleeves.

I don't think the problem is with holding onto your shirt sleeves when putting on a jacket but a problem with a poorly constructed double layer jacket:  a waterproof/windproof outer which comes with a badly attached (removable) fleece inner.  

The button system at the cuff that is supposed to keep the two layers together is crap and comes apart when you put your arms in.  You could, of course, instead hold onto the inner fleece, but you then end up with too much sticking out the outer jacket sleeves it's supposed to be attached to. 

I had a superbly constructed double layer jacket with fantastic, robust cuff attatchments.  Left it in a loo in Terminal 1 London.  Hope the poor bog cleaner took it rather than someone else.

I was referring to single layer fleece jackets.

I have a very old Nike double layer one that does as you describe. I only wear it out to the balcony for a smoke with fleece hanging out each sleeve.

On ‎11‎.‎01‎.‎2017‎ ‎14‎:‎50‎:‎34, SpiderPig said:

Get your Mummy or Daddy to dress you!

? harsh.! ?  :-)  yeah I know it's a trivial problem - how to get your jacket on - but I like life to be simple and this is a daily ggggrrrrhhh..!!!

Like Mr. fraufruit, I'll avoid buying a non lined fleece from now on and grumble and grip about it as often as possible (oh, I do love a good grumble..  :-) ) 

I have a soft shelled jacket with fleece inside but the arms are lined so it is easy to put on. I got it from Eddie Bauer a few years back. They're out there - just hard to find.

9 minutes ago, locknut said:

? harsh.! ?  :-)  yeah I know it's a trivial problem - how to get your jacket on - but I like life to be simple and this is a daily ggggrrrrhhh..!!!

Like Mr. fraufruit, I'll avoid buying a non lined fleece from now on and grumble and grip about it as often as possible (oh, I do love a good grumble..  :-) ) 

Just a thought...if you really want to keep this jacket...I assume it was expensive? - you could easily go to a dressmaker and get some lining put in the sleeves.  I don't  know about where you live but here, there are lots of dressmakers who repair and adjust for very low prices. My husband got some torn JW trousers fixed for about 5€.

Why not remove the inner fleece?

Then you wont have the problem...  

What I mean is, remove the fleece and then you have to put 2 Jackets on.. JW and the fleece.. 

After all, they are usually designed so that the fleece can be washed seperately from the jacket, thus preserving the weather proofing on the jacket!

@ SpiderPig : good idea, well presented.! I will give it a go - if it takes some of the pain away and I can actually use the jacket, it'll be worth it..  although I would like just to shrug it on and off - I like to take my coat / jacket off when I'm on the train (so I can feel the benefit etc. when I go back outside..) and with the jackets being separate, how you've suggested, I can only imagine "faff-large"..  Nevertheless, I will try it..  thank you.!