Brexit: The fallout

18,349 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, john_b said:

https://www.britishcouncil.org/research-policy-insight/insight-articles/language-trends

"Two in five teachers say that the implications of Brexit pose a major challenge to providing high-quality language teaching. 25% of teachers at state secondary schools and 15% at independent schools reported a negative impact on pupils’ motivation to learn a European language, whilst a further third of teachers (36% at state schools and 30% at independent schools) reported that pupils had mixed attitudes towards languages as a result of Brexit. Teachers also noted an impact on parental attitudes, with some parents actively discouraging their children from learning European languages."

I'd be curious to see what languages the parents were considering.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

I'd be curious to see what languages the parents were considering.

Quite possibly none at all.  After all - one speaks ENGLISH as how it is spoken!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HEM said:

After all - one speaks ENGLISH as how it is spoken!

 

Indeed. And if those silly foreigners pretend not to understand, JUST SAY IT LOUDER!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

How widespread is Polish taught in schools in England? 

( Bloody quote system.. why am I in a box?😒😂)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

 

Indeed. And if those silly foreigners pretend not to understand, JUST SAY IT LOUDER!

Not necessary here on Crete! They shout at you and each other even when they're talking softly!😂

You haven't lived till you've heard a local address someone they know in the street-

MANOLI🤪

ELA!!

( one person is enough to sound like a Led Zep live performance!)

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, john g. said:
14 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

How widespread is Polish taught in schools in England? 

( Bloody quote system.. why am I in a box?😒😂)

As far as I know, it isn't.

 

9 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

 

Indeed. And if those silly foreigners pretend not to understand, JUST SAY IT LOUDER!

That's also happened to me here. And if they still don't understand, say it louder and slower.. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

 

Indeed. And if those silly foreigners pretend not to understand, JUST SAY IT LOUDER!

Like this?

Brexit/ foreign muck thread here!😂)

 

https://youtu.be/RlNhD0oS5pk
Smuggle this into the bloody Home Office.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MUinEU said:

These aren't the jobs the brexit crowd are looking for.. 

Theyre the jobs though that most of the EU people did in the UK though unfortunately for the brexiteers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, Keleth. There are many in IT, in the NHS and other areas. I assume strawberry pickers were mostly poorer Eastern Europeans. But  I don't know.

Here in Greece, EU people are fairly rare in high paying jobs ( high paying jobs not common ) but common in the tourist industry.

But the nitty gritty eg building sites and other hard stuff in the heat- Albanians. They don't complain apart from feeling discriminated against. They come from a worse place economically.

 

Worldwide, humans , always someone to look down on. And you can be a shitty person and feel superior.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/04/uk-strikes-trade-deal-norway-iceland-liechtenstein-liz-truss

Liechenstein! The same tune with their national anthem as God Save the Queen.

I know these things! Did the right "O " level way back then!!

In case you don't believe me:

 

It was once an issue with the England national footie team.. when the players got confused when playing against Liechtenstein and wondered why the national anthem was played twice!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, john g. said:

Liechenstein! The same tune with their national anthem as God Save the Queen.

I know these things! Did the right "O " level way back then!!

 

Not just Liechtenstein.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, john g. said:

I dunno, Keleth. There are many in IT, in the NHS and other areas. I assume strawberry pickers were mostly poorer Eastern Europeans. But  I don't know.

Here in Greece, EU people are fairly rare in high paying jobs ( high paying jobs not common ) but common in the tourist industry.

But the nitty gritty eg building sites and other hard stuff in the heat- Albanians. They don't complain apart from feeling discriminated against. They come from a worse place economically.

 

Worldwide, humans , always someone to look down on. And you can be a shitty person and feel superior.

Yer should have said they´re the jobs mostly EU nationals did.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Not just Liechtenstein.

And My Country, Tis of Thee which was of the national anthems of the US. It would have been even more confusing had it become the main one.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021, 1:50:28, alexunterwegs said:

 

But stopping 'the foreigners taking our jobs 'was one of the major planks of the Brexit campaign. 

To think that owners are going to start paying indigenous fruit pickers or coffeeshop staff wages to fund a new mortgage, is not living in the real world.  

You're of course correct. The basic premise of labour cost in prices appears lost on some people. 

I had this conversation over a virtual beer yesterday evening and the answer was "the shops and so on will have to reduce prices". 

My retort was "a lot of supermarkets have shareholders, they don't care if you spend more on food, you have to spend it. They can rise prices within a certain range and you'll pay because you have to". 

 

For years prices were kept low due to foreign workers, people got used to it and I think some developed a certain superiority for themselves over the workers. 

Now those workers are not coming. 

Maybe that's part of why people who voted for brexit are angry all the time. Would be hard to have that stripped away. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MUinEU said:

For years prices were kept low due to foreign workers, people got used to it and I think some developed a certain superiority for themselves over the workers. 

Now those workers are not coming. 

 

So there are no more poor people in the UK outside of the foreign fruit pickers?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fraufruit said:

 

So there are no more poor people in the UK outside of the foreign fruit pickers?

 

Sure there are lots of poor people in the UK, native and foreigners

 

I came to Germany more than 30 years ago, and been surprised to see how much poorer people have become, except for central london.

 

Industries have shut Down and people have had to accept poor paying jobs, not everyone can be a stock broker in london.

 

I have watched as, Munich seems to get ever more facilities, while the UK has lost public facilities, like swimming pools, public transport.

 

I have watched the rise in food banks,  never existed while I was there. I have watched how the NHS has been cut back, while London gets 8 times more money spent on its transport system than anywhere else.

 

And I fear it will only get worse, as the tories, will retain power, for a while yet

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A staggering £113bn has been wiped off exports of UK services as a result of Brexit - even before the sector was left out of the final trade agreement, new research suggests.

Industries from IT and finance to business and professional services are among some of the hardest hit since the 2016 vote to leave, experts at Aston University in Birmingham found.

 

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-news-live-britons-risk-070431631.html

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yesterday said:

 

Sure there are lots of poor people in the UK, native and foreigners

 

I came to Germany more than 30 years ago, and been surprised to see how much poorer people have become, except for central london.

 

Industries have shut Down and people have had to accept poor paying jobs, not everyone can be a stock broker in london.

 

I have watched as, Munich seems to get ever more facilities, while the UK has lost public facilities, like swimming pools, public transport.

 

I have watched the rise in food banks,  never existed while I was there. I have watched how the NHS has been cut back, while London gets 8 times more money spent on its transport system than anywhere else.

 

And I fear it will only get worse, as the tories, will retain power, for a while yet

 

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

 

So there are no more poor people in the UK outside of the foreign fruit pickers?

 

Sadly there are poor people in most European countries. Global companies such as  Daimler and Porsche are situated in Stuttgart and yet we have nightly soup kitchens and people who sleep under bridges. Last year I donated some things to the local food bank and could not believe my eyes when I saw the queue outside 

 

England and the USA have had minumum wage laws for years. Germany only introduced a minmum wage in 2015 and it was the trade unions who fought for it not the politicians.  The minimum wage in Germany was increased to is 9,50 € per hour on 01.01.2021. The German system expects people to put something aside for their reitrement but wth such a low minimum wage and the high cost of living this is just not possible. People who are poor during their working life will be poor pensioners too in Germany.

 

 

"The National Minimum Wage was introduced on 1 April 1999 and in its 20 year history has transformed the UK’s labour market."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/20-years-of-the-national-minimum-wage

 

 

Massachusetts Enacts First US Minimum Wage

 

"1912: The state of Massachusetts enacts the first law in the United States requiring a minimum wage. Other states soon follow."

 

https://www.history.com/news/minimum-wage-america-timeline

 

"Germany’s minimum wage legislation (German: Gesetz zur Regelung eines allgemeinen Mindestlohns) was introduced on January 1, 2015 by Merkel’s third cabinet, composed of a coalition between the SPD and the CDU.

 

The minimum wage in Germany

For many years, Germany was one of only a few European countries not to have a minimum wage or comparable mechanism. Since January 1, 2015, however, the country now has a minimum wage. The trade unions fought long and hard to achieve this victory."

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/minimum-wages

 

 

As many EU countries have the same Euro currency, why can't the EU set a minimum wage for all member states?

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now