Brexit: The fallout

18,282 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2021, 7:13:37, MUinEU said:

That's just froth and bubbles. 

A person who starts complaining about not being heard and then cries off topic when someone points out why is just trying hard to avoid the situation. 

That you need to say you are not a cry baby shines a light on you being one but being brave or, as is more like, you want to say other people are. 

Another reason you seem to have been relegated to fhe fringes of what is a very small forum/group. 

Well done, you win the prize. 

It's yours to enjoy alone. 

Please stop quoting balticus, it's such a waste of column space...

21 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

belgian.jpg.0954e622a6b9ca4fe803fa7585b0

I'd be careful. If the goal is to just try to cause as much trouble as possible, then they know what they are doing.

It's more likely they don't know what they are doing but I wouldn't assume that. 

7 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

If the goal is to just try to cause as much trouble as possible, then they know what they are doing.

It's more likely they don't know what they are doing but I wouldn't assume that. 

I think there is an element of designed conflict. David Frost was writing provocative OpEds during the negotiations, and has made a lot of prickly statements after being confirmed in his new role.  All the while that there is tension between the EU and the UK, it helps persuade a section of UK voters that they need the Conservatives to stand up for Britain 

It's possible the goal has changed over time. 

At the beginning (after the vote when May was in charge) it may have been the goal to get a good relationship with the EU going. 

Now Johnson is in charge and it's not going so well and the goal has changed. 

They can't get what they can pass off as wins to keep support, so they need a threat. 

They f*cked up the brexit negotiations so they will use it to try and keep support. 

As long as people convince them that's the truth (it's going to be better than really thinking about it) it will work. 

The UK has turned into 3 blind guys agreeing to make soup by pooling their ingredients. 

At the end, all 3 ate hot water and said it was delicious... 

2 hours ago, Mackle said:

I think there is an element of designed conflict. David Frost was writing provocative OpEds during the negotiations, and has made a lot of prickly statements after being confirmed in his new role.  All the while that there is tension between the EU and the UK, it helps persuade a section of UK voters that they need the Conservatives to stand up for Britain 

It's not that hard to convince them really is it? We are talking about people who feel weak and wobbly and string and stable at the same time.  They are capable of saying they can have everything they want as they are important and yet cry about being bullied the next minute (when dealing with the same group siting across the table).

Still, we've learned  few tings, for one, it isn't information that is important, it is a the ability to process it and look at it critically. If a person defaults to the mail, Sun or Express then that says they can't or do not want to. Anything else is too complicated.  

5 hours ago, MUinEU said:

Now isn't it ironic.. 

FB_IMG_1622618695004.jpg.787ee1301671234

But what about all those Brexiteers who were complaining about EU nationals "taking their jobs" ? Why are they so shy coming forward? 

Actually its not funny. Just highlights the sheer hypocrisy and humbug put out by the Brexit lobby. 

Brexiteers don't mind foreigners coming in as long as the foreigner in question knows their place. They tolerated Irish and <insert casually racist term for black people here> back in the day as they knew their place and were likely doing some menial job. They will know that Pawel the pint puller in the local shitty 'spoons is a second class citizen only there at the pleasure of an Englishman. The world will still make sense to them that way. Tim Martin is one of the dumbest motherfuckers I have ever seen on TV and that's saying something. I'd call him Tim nice but dim, except he's a nasty Brexiteer cunt as well.

Murphaph- you seem obsessed with the English and miss the wider picture - look around you in other parts of Europe.

Depressing. Including apparently higher race-related harassment in Ireland than in England/ UK. None of which gives me pleasure or Schadenfreude.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/are-the-british-really-as-xenophobic-as-they-ve-been-made-out-to-be-since-brexit-1.3910892

13 hours ago, john g. said:

Murphaph- you seem obsessed with the English and miss the wider picture - look around you in other parts of Europe.

Depressing. Including apparently higher race-related harassment in Ireland than in England/ UK. None of which gives me pleasure or Schadenfreude.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/are-the-british-really-as-xenophobic-as-they-ve-been-made-out-to-be-since-brexit-1.3910892

He does yes.

However he is posting it in a thread about the UK so why would he post about the Poles treatment of foreigners here.

Perhaps he is acutely aware of it.

17 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

But what about all those Brexiteers who were complaining about EU nationals "taking their jobs" ? Why are they so shy coming forward? 

Actually its not funny. Just highlights the sheer hypocrisy and humbug put out by the Brexit lobby. 

This is the time that could be advantageous to residents.

The solution should not be to let in foreigners to do the jobs (stable door,horse etc) but to actually pay a decent wage then maybe he will find enough residents to fill his vacancies.

But nope the Tories will give in to him to keep him happy.

14 minutes ago, Keleth said:

He does yes.

However he is posting it in a thread about the UK so why would he post about the Poles treatment of foreigners here.

Perhaps he is acutely aware of it.

I've absolutely nothing against the English. It's brexiteers I don't much care for :-)

22 hours ago, cb6dba said:

I'd be careful. If the goal is to just try to cause as much trouble as possible, then they know what they are doing.

It´s basically lets find someone we can blame for our fuck ups so that we can then move on and do more fuck ups and then find someone to blame for those fuck ups.

I think the current policy is one of antagonism towards the EU so that an external enemy/threat is maintained. This is Johnson's Falklands.

If brexit was "over" and the UK and EU had a normal 3rd country/EU relationship then people would maybe start asking when all the brexit unicorns are going to arrive.

So brexit can't be "over". The emperor can't be seen naked.

Northern Ireland is perfect for the Tories. A Falklands that bit closer to home so to speak. The protocol is the Argentine occupation of Stanley. 

44 minutes ago, Keleth said:

It´s basically lets find someone we can blame for our fuck ups so that we can then move on and do more fuck ups and then find someone to blame for those fuck ups.

Yep, I haven't seen this level of 'push this problem to tomorrow' and 'just fix that regardless of what problems it causes tomorrow' since I worked in call center based outsourced tech support.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

This is the time that could be advantageous to residents.

The solution should not be to let in foreigners to do the jobs (stable door,horse etc) but to actually pay a decent wage then maybe he will find enough residents to fill his vacancies.

But nope the Tories will give in to him to keep him happy.

Personally I'm hoping the conservatives  get to the point where blaming isn't enough and they decide to get tough on unemployment.

Then all those jobs people didn't want to be done by foreigners will be made to do those exact people. It won't be the jobs they are expecting, it will be picking fruit etc.

14 hours ago, john g. said:

I would respectfully suggest that this is a hit piece on the Visegrad countries rather than an introspective exercise.

4 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Personally I'm hoping the conservatives  get to the point where blaming isn't enough and they decide to get tough on unemployment.

Rather than creating jobs that people will find attractive and well paying they will just cut benefits.

3 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Rather than creating jobs that people will find attractive and well paying they will just cut benefits.

Yep. That's how it's done. I also expect they will stop benefits for anyone 'deemed' able to work who refuses a job.

I also expect 'deemed' to be a arbitrary classification that applies to all jobs. Anyone who is deemed fit for any one job will be classified as able to do all of them.

So a person who has had three heart attacks and could work in an office, could also be sent off to move heavy potato sacks.

People who say 'no, the government wouldn't do that' have missed the loss of fishing rights (that we had, but then lost, we negotiated the away).