Brexit: The fallout

18,291 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Keleth said:

Less foreigners basically.

That´s a benefit Brexit voters wanted but they´re too afraid to admit it,instead it´s about sovereignty etc.

Manufacturing slowly returning to the Northern Counties. 

22 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Manufacturing slowly returning to the Northern Counties. 

I did notice some of the recent numbers and predictions. Some of it is to be expected with the country opening up again, but some of the longer term forecasting post-CoViD from the likes of the IMF was quite interesting.

19 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Arte are showing a documentary film tonight at 7.40 p.m. about export and customs problems in the UK since Brexit.

Zollchaos im Königreich 19.40 Uhr

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/100300-034-A/re-der-brexit-frust/

I think we will all need strong cups of tea and lots of chocolate biscuits to watch this.

Available until 2022 in the ARTE Mediathek.

Heartwrenching stuff - but even with the extra work (to export into the EU) the

one of the main characters still thinks that there will be benefits "later".

Last minute voice over reports that one in four small export businesses has

stopped exporting to the EU.

All that winning...  

(EDIT) - I cleared up the voiceover from the last minute of the ARTE film

29 minutes ago, HEM said:

... and "the people" fell for it & continue to do so it seems.

Not to mention pushing it out of either stupidity of embarrassment.

On 5/23/2021, 3:42:35, optimista said:

I admit to being snobbishly or puritanically shocked last week at the sight of some woman's immense, exposed thighs. Was it Iceland? Or Estonia? Can't remember. I was zapping and had the misfortune to come across this huge singer in an outfit reminiscent of what Pocahontas would have been cool in. Short and fringed around the asymetrical bottom. But if you have thighs that thick, you keep 'em covered up. It was not attractive. I felt embarrasssed for the woman. After watching in appalled amazement I did continue to zap. But you cannot unsee the seen...

On 5/23/2021, 4:17:50, Metall said:

Fat shaming much?

*SMH*

On 5/23/2021, 4:18:58, fraufruit said:

Sounds more judgmental to me. Are you not familiar with Lizzo or other full figured mega-stars?

On 5/23/2021, 4:41:59, snowingagain said:

Fat phobia is part of being French.  Perhaps Optimista has acclimitised quickly.  Perhaps it is included in the citizenship test.  I had a French gynaecologist when pregnant with my second child.  Nightmare.  She shouted at me for putting on too much weight.   And I really had not!

On 5/24/2021, 9:16:53, RedMidge said:

I really thought we had got past the "pretty" on stage, and focussed on voice and talent.  I thought she was quite good- voice and dance moves. Her costume was fine- an attractive woman- You go girl!

On 5/23/2021, 8:17:20, optimista said:

Question of interpretation? You can be fat as you like, your business, but if you are on stage in front of a camera exposing yourself to millions do you really wear a skirt practically showing your knickers? Dunno if I am judging. It did evoke a visceral response. It just was not pretty. At all. Seriously misguided - IMHO :lol: Flaunt it if you've got it, but otherwise... Maybe there is a time and a place? I am no longer a size 10 myself by the way.

Here she is. Enough said, surely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbc2yKnv0M

OK, I took a screenshot of the *oh so horrible fat woman revealing disgusting body parts in the oh so horrible video*.

I intentionally chose a pose in front of a bright background where she raised her arms, thus lifting the dress and doing a *maximum reveal* of her legs.
The singer is wearing extra long overknee boots and a dress with a long fringe.
In this state of *maximum deshabillée*, I see baring of, say, 5 inches of thigh one side, and maybe 8 inches on the other. All nicely covered with tights. No knickers in sight (still covered).
And OH MY GOD, there is NO THIGH GAP.
How horrible! /sarcasm.

Again - fat shaming much of a talented, energetic, and good looking singer?

By another woman?

Sad.

biglegs.jpeg

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/blame-brexit-northern-ireland-tensions-014533677.html

Well done to Ursula v.d. Leyen for saying it as it is about the cause of the Northern Ireland tensions. The root cause is clearly Brexit, not the EU re-interpreting the Protocol. The Protocol was signed off by Boris and his aide Frost less than 6 moths ago. The EU want to simply implement what was agreed. Did Boris and Frost have brain abberrations or collective amnesia when they signed it off?  In fact Frost has even admitted they got it wrong, so how can it be the EU to blame?

The damage was done because Boris and Frost insisted the UK was going to go outside the Single Market and Customs Union. The extra controls and paperwork could all have been avoided by simply staying part of both, similar to Norway or Switzerland. 

Now Downing Street are desparately trying to pooh pooh Ursula vdL's comment. It seems she got a bit too close to the truth for their liking. 

1 hour ago, Metall said:

OK, I took a screenshot of the *oh so horrible fat woman revealing disgusting body parts in the oh so horrible video*.

I intentionally chose a pose in front of a bright background where she raised her arms, thus lifting the dress and doing a *maximum reveal* of her legs.
The singer is wearing extra long overknee boots and a dress with a long fringe.
In this state of *maximum deshabillée*, I see baring of, say, 5 inches of thigh one side, and maybe 8 inches on the other. All nicely covered with tights. No knickers in sight (still covered).
And OH MY GOD, there is NO THIGH GAP.
How horrible! /sarcasm.

Again - fat shaming much of a talented, energetic, and good looking singer?

By another woman?

Sad.

biglegs.jpeg

(full quote intentional)

@optimista I bet you don't like Megan Thee Stallion, either... Your loss. More for us. :P

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrdjiuS66yXOdEZ_cOD_TA

6 hours ago, HEM said:

... and "the people" fell for it & continue to do so it seems.

Did anyone watch the Dominic Cummings evidence to the select committee?

Apparently BoJo wanted Chris Witty to inject him with Covid on national TV to prove that it was not serious.

WTF

1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

Now Downing Street are desparately trying to pooh pooh Ursula vdL's comment. It seems she got a bit too close to the truth for their liking. 

You can expect to see the usual suspects (For example Bill Cash in Parliament, IDS and John Redwood during TV appearances or their newspaper columns and blogs, and clowns like Mayer Tousi and Michael Heaver on their YouTube channels) acting like vdL has made a declaration of war or insisting that her comments were just another example of the snobby EU insulting the good people of Britain.

There is a clear synergy in the behaviour of Trump supporters and Brexit fanatics. Trump supporters cover their eyes up if you show them pictures of the Trump inauguration and parrot Trump's lines about the biggest inauguration attendance in history, and Brexiters accuse anything less than a verbal rimming of Boris Johnson of being an insult to democratic wishes of 17.4M people.

11 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Did anyone watch the Dominic Cummings evidence to the select committee?

Apparently BoJo wanted Chris Witty to inject him with Covid on national TV to prove that it was not serious.

WTF

It doesn't matter what Dominic Cummings says, or how irrefutable any evidence of wrong doing by Johnson is, Johnson is the symbolic figurehead of the leavers and any who dare to expose their demigod deserves punishment for their treachery. 

I was visiting a LuLu hypermarket near where I live last night, and was a bit surprised to see a big sign with a Union Jack outside it with the words "Proud to be supporting Britain and Northern Ireland".

Inside, there were cardboard cutouts of Beefeaters and Big Ben everywhere, and above the each of the checkout tills there was alternating UK and UAE flags. They are having some crazy British goods push in there, even Andrex toilet tissue and some kitchen sprays given some bizarre kind of British product prominence. 

As a Brit, it was a surreal experience shopping there, I can't emphasise enough the sheer volume of cardboard cutouts, flags, and British displays.  This was not like Lidl doing their British week, nor was it just a "cool Britannia" thing, it was full-on odd!

I know there is a tenancy to link a lot of things to Brexit, but I cannot imagine pre-2016 that an Indian hypermarket chain would be making a big thing out of being "proud to support Britain and Northern Ireland". 

Finally got my Aufenthaltsdokument-GB appointment out of the way, 6 to 8 weeks delivery...

On 5/26/2021, 9:17:55, Wulfrun said:

brexhate.jpg.62ed4e0a044ce90a3ab85f4f77f

Wow, what pathetic hatred. 

And just smell that hypocrisy.

If Brexiteers are disrespectful to the "half of England and Wales" that voted Remain (which is a lie, see your point 1), then you are equally being disrespectful to the Scots and Irish that voted Leave. And the ones that weren't arsed. Which is many. Scotland and NI had the lowest turnout of all the regions (67 and 62%). Never mind the implied lie that it is all of Scotland and NI being "disrespected", it wasn't even a majority that voted Remain. Lies and hypocrisy.

Add to that, that the higher Remain vote in Scotland was due to nationalists and anti-English xenophobes (many of whom had de facto voted to leave the EU in 2014). See your points 4 and 5.

The rest of it is simply bollocks.

Although, I've never said it till now but I'll give you your point 3 - shut up and get over it.

36 minutes ago, penchanski said:

it wasn't even a majority that voted Remain

To be fair, it wasn't even a majority that voted leave, either.

36 minutes ago, penchanski said:

Lies and hypocrisy.

You mean taking what was advertised as a non-binding advisory vote and then proudly proclaiming it was the unchangeable "will of the people"? I agree completely.

1 hour ago, penchanski said:

Add to that, that the higher Remain vote in Scotland was due to nationalists and anti-English xenophobes

Whoa there. I actually don't know any anti-English xenophobes. I know a lot of Scots who would vote for independence because in something like 65 years we've not voted Tory but were overruled by our neighbours down south. Even with the explosive Dominic Cummings revelations, English people will still vote for BoJo. The Scots didn't vote for him before and won't vote for him now. Remember that Brexit came about due to the Tory infighting over Europe.

So what are we to do ? Taken out of the EU against our will, having yet another Tory government foisted upon us. Where can we go except independence ?

Answers on a postcard please.