Brexit: The fallout

18,285 posts in this topic

Yes, I fear the clown will use it to white-wash everything else...

Not that I wish it was going badly, I'm glad for people there, including our 2 older kids, but it does feel frustrating that at the end of the day, by the time elections are held again, he will be reminding people of his awesome vaccination programme and deflecting them from the memory of the dead whose untimely end lies at his door.

1 hour ago, Mackle said:

In some of the most recent opinion polls his support South of the border is growing if anything. My own parents, who were public sector workers and union members, currently wax lyrical about how amazing the Johnson vaccination program has been, and how he has to be judged on the vaccine rollout and not what happened before that. 

It's easy to look good in a crisis. Merkel gained in popularity too; as long as the leader isn't completely incompetent people will want to believe in the government as it's better than being scared. Which of course is the point of Brexit: invent an enemy; make people think they're under attack and they'll thank you for making their lives worse. 

Well you could not make this shit up 

But Boris has and the UK is running in happy way towards more poverty.

While it has a vaccine program the UK still has the highest death rate of ant developed econmany 

And Boris gets away with it

1 hour ago, Wulfrun said:

Surprisingly, the pound is up to 1.16 Euro today

Which is a great win compared to what it has been over the last years.

What was it way back, you know, in 2014? I'm sure I remember it being like 1.30 or something.

Oh, oh, wait, that is a win - I can send cash back the UK at a way better exchange rate for me than I could in the past.

Suck on that fishermen and musicians, and a big thankyou to all those people driving trucks who have been stuck. All your problems and struggles are making making it cheaper (to the tune of 14 cents a pound) for me to transfer money over to a country I can't visit due to a pandemic.

[Insert meme or GIF of me winning big time while others cry in the background]

The markets can be manipulated. See GameStop fiasco. What the markets can't do is eliminate the red tape that now applies to businesses in the UK that didn't apply 2 months ago.

There are a lot of people invested in the UK. They are desperate for the sake of their investments for any sign that the UK economy is going to recover and the UK may begin to formally leave lockdown a little bit before the rest of us.

If people think investors understand the difficulties that being outside the EU entail, please remember that several senior government ministers have already displayed their ignorance on these matters.

A stronger pound probably suits the EU anyway right now. EU exports are that bit cheaper in GB and British exports (the ones still making it out) are that bit dearer in the EU. 

Say (sh) it with flowers...bloody foreigners, not coming and taking people's jobs

It's all just a big joke, isn't it 🤡

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 23.49.48.jpg

There's a common theme of rot, faeces and urine surrounding Brexit. 

I saw an Express headline reporting that some Tories are now blaming the EU for "destroying the UK" lol.

No matter what happens, the EU will be blamed by these overgrown crybabies.

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

There's a common theme of rot, faeces and urine surrounding Brexit. 

I saw an Express headline reporting that some Tories are now blaming the EU for "destroying the UK" lol.

No matter what happens, the EU will be blamed by these overgrown crybabies.

The conservatives have to keep wheeling that stuff out as it allows certain papers to print that as it appeals to their readers.

This is a won-win for them, attention is pointed elsewhere and the papers make revenue.

Should the conservatives stop his, then the papers may just start writing about them, which they would rather avoid.

However, up unitl know, after a week or so of asking, the brexit benefits are;

Ronan Keeting may not be able to tour the UK.

I am saving a whopping 14 cents a pound when I transfer cash to the UK (even though I cannot actually visit to use that cash).

I declare the question closed. The chance to post and discuss any demonstrable benefits was there, non were posted.

Best example of the whole situation I've seen really.

2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

However, up unitl know, after a week or so of asking, the brexit benefits are;

Ronan Keeting may not be able to tour the UK.

I am saving a whopping 14 cents a pound when I transfer cash to the UK (even though I cannot actually visit to use that cash).

I declare the question closed. The chance to post and discuss any demonstrable benefits was there, non were posted.

Best example of the whole situation I've seen really.

You're deliberately ignoring the bit about the UK removing a whole extraneous layer of government and getting to be a speedboat instead of a tanker.

43 minutes ago, penchanski said:

You're deliberately ignoring the bit about the UK removing a whole extraneous layer of government and getting to be a speedboat instead of a tanker.

Can you please post your demonstrable proof of this?

You and your proof and facts.:lol:

I thought the dude was being facetious, but maybe not :mellow:

I wonder whether the swift roll-out of the vaccine is an actual example of the UK's new found speed-boatiness. Either way, I have no doubt it will absolutely be used as one.

1 hour ago, penchanski said:

I asked a question, is asking questions deliberately ignoring things these days?

I guess by asking about demonstrable benefits of brexit I have ignored the topic of if people prefer one yogurt over another, but I didn't think that would be an issue to be honest.

If this is a benefit, we'll have to see. I'm not sure I like the EU president using the UK as the low bar they need to get over. 

A tanker can travel pretty much the world over, speedboats can't really go that far. Subtlety that is, subtlety.

If I add it to the list, we have 3. 

Four if we can get the fishermen to buy speedboats and diversify into given speedy boat tours of out now historical fishing industry  🤡

57 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

If I add it to the list, we have 3. 

Four if we can get the fishermen to buy speedboats and diversify into given speedy boat tours of out now historical fishing industry  🤡

5. VAT free tampons

15 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

5. VAT free tampons

So we could take the savings we can make on cash transfers, use the to fuel up the speedboats and the fisherman to deliver the tampons and take Ronan on his tour..?

Damn, that puts us back on four... 

2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

A tanker can travel pretty much the world over, speedboats can't really go that far. Subtlety that is, subtlety.

Sppedboats come to grief if they run into a minor half-submerged log of wood.  Tankers don't.