Brexit: The fallout

17,623 posts in this topic

Apparently, another fallout that I have just been told about is that a Brit living in DE cannot get a loan at a sensible rate if their income is only from UK. I will ask more about it when we talk later, but its going to take some time to get everything sorted out. 

I read that almost everyone in NI is unhappy with the Brexit trade arrangements. The irony is that the DUP were some of the staunchest supporters of Brexit, but now they are up in arms. Gove is now requesting an extension of the transition period, probably realising that the current arrangment is probably as good as it gets. 

You can't get away from the central point, Boris/Gove and their pals decided to leave the Single Market and Customs Union (not something by the way agreed to in the Referendum), so there have to be checkpoints at some points between the UK and Republic.  If you don't have them on the border then they have to be somewhere else and the most logical place from a security point of view are the ports.   

I think the best long-term solution to this is that, if the EU are willing, and its a big if, re-negotiate to reach a similar arrangement to Switzerland or Norway. I'm told that goods pass through from the EU into Switzerland with the minimum of hassle. An extra bonus is that we don't get our ham sandwiches confiscated at customs and numerous other hassles and bureaucratic paperwork and costs are removed at a stroke. And the Good Friday Agreement is protected. What's not to like. 

More winning:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/04/cancer-drugs-binned-because-of-brexit-red-tape-mps-hear

Welsh pharma manufacturing shifted to Dublin so exports to the EU can continue.

British-Irish trade a fraction of what it was.

Freight from English Midlands to NI which used to use the "Irish land bridge" via Holyhead and Dublin (transiting the Republic to reach Northern Ireland) is now also going the long way, being driven all the way up to Scottish ports and across the North Channel. Cost of freight obviously increased.

I'm still waiting for a real Brexit benefit.

If you look at how any new trade deals are being sold to the public, it is like trying to make things look great.

We told our partner that if they don't change, we will leave and they will be sorry. They need us more than we need them so they'd better give us what we want or else.

The split happened and the ex didn't cave in, got on with their lives and it eats us up that their lives didn't stop.

So we are now running around making a big deal of every little date we go on, it's all way better that the past, the dates are better looking and way better for us than our old partner ever was.

We'll keep telling ourselves that as we really don't want the past to be better than what we have now. 

I'll tell you what I have not become sick of, people rubbing my nose in all the brexit benefits. We are so lucky here on TT that the posters who have pushed brexit all these years are adult enough not to rub our noses in it all*

*which is on no way down to lack of material to rub any noses in, oh no, it's not down to that. 

I think the best long-term solution to this is that, if the EU are willing, and its a big if, re-negotiate to reach a similar arrangement to Switzerland or Norway. I'm told that goods pass through from the EU into Switzerland with the minimum of hassle. An extra bonus is that we don't get our ham sandwiches confiscated at customs and numerous other hassles and bureaucratic paperwork and costs are removed at a stroke. And the Good Friday Agreement is protected.

The only reason Switzerland was able to negotiate that deal is by agreeing to the EU's terms.

What's not to like. 

Freedom of Movement. The Swiss had to agree to FoM and paying into the EU budget. 

The Brexiteers have been slandering FoM in order to promote Brexit and have painted themselves into a corner. The politicians have also made it clear that they are more than willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. 

The Scotland Food and Drink chief executive, however, has identified the single biggest challenge facing exporters: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-55904133

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

The Brexiteers have been slandering FoM in order to promote Brexit and have painted themselves into a corner. 

One of my favorite Canadians says it best.  FoM is worth a lot.  🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Freedom of Movement. The Swiss had to agree to FoM and paying into the EU budget. 

The Brexiteers have been slandering FoM in order to promote Brexit and have painted themselves into a corner. The politicians have also made it clear that they are more than willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. 

Brexiteers now like to claim that it wasn't about immigration but I'm sure if there'd been some deal where keeping FoM was on the table they'd suddenly remember that it was about immigration.

I always thought the Norway/Switzerland approach would have been the best one. What we needed was some decent political leadership that said: "look Leave won, but the margin was very small. This points at a compromise." The extremists would have been very angry, but then they are anyway. Moderates on both sides would probably have shrugged and got on with life; maybe a bit relieved.

I think the one good argument for Brexit is the one that says Britain could do trade deals that suit Britain better than anything from the EU that must consider 28 countries. I'm not convinced what you gain is better than what you lose, but maybe it's worth a try, and that means leaving the Customs Union. However instead of insisting on doing it overnight it should have been presented as a long-term goal, perhaps done in stages. Nothing the UK has so far is anything but a carbon-copy of what we had in the EU, so it seems to me the UK should have just stayed in the CU for another 5 years whilst negotiating possibly better deals for 2026. 

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

One of my favorite Canadians says it best.  FoM is worth a lot.  🤷‍♀️

Wow this actually sums Brexit up pretty perfectly. Right down to the lorry parks in Kent.

47 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Wow this actually sums Brexit up pretty perfectly. Right down to the lorry parks in Kent.

Is anyone else wondering why Murphy is using this thread as an anger management thread and the mods seem to be ok with it.

Just getting boring now.

Unfortunately, the negative effects of BREXIT will continue for years to come. all sides are digging in and wait for the fire to come from the other side

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

The only reason Switzerland was able to negotiate that deal is by agreeing to the EU's terms.

Have Switzerland got a worse deal than the UK? The lack of hassle at the Swiss border would seem to be a major plus. And hasn't the UK's negotiation on the level playing field amounted to more or less what Switzerland have got? 

Freedom of movement cuts both ways. The next generation of Brits miss out on what their European counterparts take for granted. I'm not convinced there was ever a majority for stopping FoM anyway.  

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Indeed! And don't forget the river of fecal matter flowing from the Kent roads with no toilets.

Idyllic.

11 minutes ago, john_b said:

I think it's worth (re)posting the actual tweet that this post references....

....followed by this very amusing thread 

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 22.55.52.jpg