Brexit: The fallout

17,518 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

My experience when visiting/living in Asia is that they are mad for whisky. Especially in Korea, Japan, Indonesia and Singapore. I wouldn't write off Malaysia. 

Japanese Whisky is the best.

Just sayin.

I recently had Nikka from the Barrel! Managed to get a Japanese friend very drunk with it. :D

More winning:

https://bmmagazine.co.uk/news/the-uk-fashion-industry-is-facing-decimation-over-brexit-trade-deal/

Pishtosh, murphaph - that's just Project Fear talking!

It can all can be fixed easily by just telling the plebes to Buy British! All that high-quality stuff at Primark is British, right?

52 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Pishtosh, murphaph - that's just Project Fear talking!

It can all can be fixed easily by just telling the plebes to Buy British! All that high-quality stuff at Primark is British, right?

as long as it's pre 1948 - 

after that India broke away

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Now imagine this times 100 along a hard land frontier.

Indeed it hardly bears thinking about which is why it was such a shock that that the EU Commission tried to introduce it.

The ROIs present EU membership seemed to be of no consequence. That's the reality:lol:

43 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Indeed it hardly bears thinking about which is why it was such a shock that that the EU Commission tried to introduce it.

The ROIs present EU membership seemed to be of no consequence. That's the reality:lol:

This is a very tendentious line you're taking here. As @murphaph has pointed out earlier in this thread, the threat to invoke this was a clear error of judgement, but as soon as the ROI pointed this out it was shelved. So yes, an own goal for the EU, but hardly an indication that Ireland's EU membership is "of no consequence"

Unfortunately, it looks like the UK and the EU are likely to be at loggerheads for a while yet...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/02/vaccine-rows-spats-eu-uk-competitor

42 minutes ago, john_b said:

This is a very tendentious line you're taking here. As @murphaph has pointed out earlier in this thread, the threat to invoke this was a clear error of judgement, but as soon as the ROI pointed this out it was shelved. So yes, an own goal for the EU, but hardly an indication that Ireland's EU membership is "of no consequence"

Do you feel that @murphaph is NOT taking a prejudiced, partisan and slanted point of view in his writings here? Do you think his  sensationalising, often with inflammatory language, of anything negative to the UK and denigrating of anything positive presents a balanced point of view?

Are you surprised when I and others employ similar methods as a counter to the BS?

21 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Do you feel that @murphaph is NOT taking a prejudiced, partisan and slanted point of view in his writings here? Do you think his  sensationalising, often with inflammatory language, of anything negative to the UK and denigrating of anything positive presents a balanced point of view?

Are you surprised when I and others employ similar methods as a counter to the BS?

He started it,no he did,no he did,no he did.

Why not just both of you calm down.Never quite seen someone as rabid as Brexiteers and Remainers.

Aha, so you admit to the hyperbole. 

As for your beef with @murphaph, I suggest you take it up with him. For sure he's very anti-Brexit and yes, he expresses himself forcefully, usually on how the ROI is being impacted by the UK's departure from the EU.

As a Brit who also has an Irish passport (BTW since 2005, nothing at all to do with Brexit) I frequently share his dismay. 

There's absolutely nothing hyperbolic about my claim that the loyalist threats to port workers in Larne would be 100 times worse if it was republicans threatening customs officials along the land frontier. Far harder to protect staff on some remote Country Fermanagh road than at a self contained port facility.

Brexit didn't give two fucks about the GFA. Never did. Still doesn't.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Brexit didn't give two fucks about the GFA. Never did. Still doesn't.

This is very true.

There have been surveys with Conservative voters that show that dissolution of the union is an acceptable price of Brexit. There is a feeling among some (not all I hasten to add) that the EU has been some kind of occupational force in the country, and no price is too high for casting off the imaginary yoke. We can go all the way back to Boris Johnson's Brussels correspondent days for examples of why people feel like this, along with some of the populist figures that sprang up after Maastricht 

Last poll of Tory voters revealed that 53% of them wouldn't care if NI seceded from the union. Not great for the Conservative and Unionist Party. But then again this is the do called party of business whose leader once remarked "fuck business"

On 1/31/2021, 8:21:29, hellfire99 said:

If it is not value for money for the taxpayer, it is a waste. 

Easy to say, I know, but not always so easy to demosnstrate. 

On 2/1/2021, 6:13:09, Keleth said:

Ah ok you`re that naive.

Honestly, you are hurting my feeling saying that, Keleth!  I've got them human rights, too, you know! 

To be honest, I'm not sure what your problem with my statement is. 

There was much gnashing of teeth and wailing when the UK gubberment said they were going to cut the foreign aid budget that has been enshrined in law.  The PM and everyone who knew him, including his milkman, were utter utter bastards!

That's one of them examples where you have to ask yourself, does bribing foreign governments with the aid slush fund benefit the UK public. 

That's what I was alluding to. 

Of course there are wasteful ferry contracts and such but, as I said are they the norm or the exception? 

On 2/1/2021, 6:13:09, Keleth said:

I wont say anymore.

Don't be scared of Murphy, Keleth.

You let rip, mate! 

:lol:

22 hours ago, Mackle said:

He's probably of the opinion that if you want to bang Jennifer Arcuri, and you have access to the public purse, that you have to put the wants of your balls first before the interests of the taxpayer.

No, I'm not. 

And, I accept your apology, thank you. 

:D

I’m starting to wonder who Jennifer Arcuri is... will check my diaries!😂

On 2/1/2021, 10:53:21, AnswerToLife42 said:

As an example, joining the bloc would cut the tariff on Scotch whisky in Malaysia from 165 per cent to nothing."

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my knowledge the number of whisky drinkers in Malaysia is very limited.

On 2/1/2021, 11:18:25, AnswerToLife42 said:

So, there is hope that the 60% follower of the "Religion of Peace" will convert to Christianity?

Mate, if you think some Muslims don't have a cheeky drink behind closed doors then you are very naive. 

On 2/1/2021, 11:00:05, fraufruit said:

My experience when visiting/living in Asia is that they are mad for whisky. Especially in Korea, Japan, Indonesia and Singapore. I wouldn't write off Malaysia. 

Exactly.

Modern day Muslims are not the teetotalers that AnswerToLife24 thinks they are. 

Some of them even like a bacon sarnie and pork scratching now and again! 

On 2/1/2021, 11:33:50, HEM said:

Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership

I always thought GB had the North Sea on one side & the Irish Sea (or even the Atlantic) on the other.

The above states border the Pacific.  Seems BoJo & co need to study geography again.  I'm aware of plate tectonics but such a continental drift wont happen in our lifetime.

Mate, stop being thick. 

You've obviously heard of global trade, have you not?

Going on your analogy, the North Sea and Irish Sea, the UK wouldn't be able to trade with Saudi, Japan or the US. 

It just makes you look stupid, HEM, writing that emotional bilge. 

Why don't you use your brains and tell us what joining the CPTPP would really mean. 

On 2/1/2021, 11:35:37, HH_Sailor said:

They won't drink it.

It will be rebottled, shipped out tarif free to some other country at a new lower price.

Rebottled again (losing an angels share in the heat, probably) before

finding its way back to the shelf in Lidl, Darmstadt. A whole year older too.

Winners they be. All of them.

So, the Jocks send a bottle of Oben Whisky to Malaysia.

They re-bottle it, at a cost, and send it to someone else at a lower price than they bought it for, thus losing money.

Rinse and repeat and then the product arrives in Germany, as per your example. 

One, it makes no economic sense because, as you have written, they lose money on this.

Two, how come the EU allows this product into the single market and what is it marketed as? 

It all looks like a load of horseshit, mate.

Perhaps, you could explain. 

On 2/1/2021, 8:24:37, murphaph said:

I saw Liz Truss in her usual arrogant Tory way today tweeting that she'd "informed the CPTPP of their intent to join" and that membership "will bring" this that and the other.

Not asked to join or applied or "would bring". 

So you are pissing your knickers over Liz Truss saying "will" instead of "would", are you?

Have a word with yourself, Murphy. 

23 hours ago, Mackle said:

She refers to herself in third person as "The Truss", and does karaoke to Kylie Minogue. She is definitely a confident woman.

Confident women scare you, Mackel! 

Don't say they don't cos they do. 

22 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Japanese Whisky is the best.

Just sayin.

Anything in particular? 

You, can't just say Japanese Whisky is the best without giving us some tips!