Brexit: The fallout

17,383 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mackle said:

I maybe I should have said something like "they could always stop giving children a pint of milk a day at school..." 

What school did you go to?  At all of mine we only got 1/3 of a pint and at grammar school there was just 2 crates for 600 pupils, somebody on the make or corruption in the staff room maybe.

59 minutes ago, john_b said:

Tragic news indeed... 

Samantha Cameron business hit by post-Brexit 'teething issues'

Wife of former PM says her firm is being hampered by trading difficulties with EU countries

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/28/samantha-cameron-business-hit-by-post-brexit-teething-issues

She must of been born Blond

Speaking to Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour, she said: “If you’re bringing goods into the country from outside the UK and then trying to sell them back into Europe, that currently is challenging and difficult.”

I have now had packages (gifts for my kids, from my parents) twice charge me - DPD 17 euros, DHL 25.

Nightmare. My wife says this is temporary until they sort out an agreement - is this correct, do you know? Anyone got any info on timeframes for this?

1 hour ago, oscar 63 said:

I have now had packages (gifts for my kids, from my parents) twice charge me - DPD 17 euros, DHL 25.

Nightmare. My wife says this is temporary until they sort out an agreement - is this correct, do you know? Anyone got any info on timeframes for this?

We've noticed extra costs getting things delivered from the UK, even Amazon putting on an import fees deposit.

I used to get quite a bit of stuff from the UK, I'll start looking for alternatives.

10 hours ago, keith2011 said:

What school did you go to?  At all of mine we only got 1/3 of a pint and at grammar school there was just 2 crates for 600 pupils, somebody on the make or corruption in the staff room maybe.

Thomas Tallis, SE London

2 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

Erm, they did sort out an agreement. This is what it looks like when countries are not in customs union with each other.

If anything you can expect more stuff to be caught by customs as they adjust to the new situation.

I got a parcel from the UK today too. Also hit for €25 vat. The items I bought are only available in the UK so in this case I couldn't shop around but for anything else I try to find an EU seller now, especially on Amazon where previously an awful lot of what I bought seemed to come from UK marketplaces.

It's going to drastically reduce orders from most people who don't want the added hassle. It's ok mostly for those of us that work from home but for everyone else it means a guaranteed trip to the post office instead of the parcel bring dropped at the door or given to a neighbour or whatever.

People will pay a euro more for an item located in the EU to avoid this hassle. I already have anyway.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I got a parcel from the UK today too. Also hit for €25 vat.

Were the item(s) supplied UK VAT free? If yes then what do you expect? If no you should be asking the seller why not?

What news of Brexit! 

Was it not foretold in the Remoaner Prophecy that we would all be knee deep in Truckers' turds and that a queue of HGVs would stretch to the moon and back, thus, causing 3 days of darkness? 

And where is this World War 3, I was promised. 

Maybe, @murphaph, or someone from the Remoaner Doomsday Cult can give us an update on Turd watch? 

:lol:

While, we wait let's have a look at some of the outtakes and bloopers!  

On 1/17/2021, 3:53:10, alexunterwegs said:

Isn't Farage the bloke who was seen queuing up at the German Embassy for some undisclosed private business?  The man who tells us we shouldn't be having all these dealings with Europeans. Normally you would only visit a foreign embassy if you want something from them, in the way of a passport or some kind of licence or permission. Not saying Farage is unique.

On 1/27/2021, 3:48:32, alexunterwegs said:

Stopping Erasmus, I assume he was in favour of, but correct me if I'm wrong.  

Just struck me as slightly questionable being on private business in the German Embassy, when he is so keen to cut down on others having dealings in Europe. 

On 1/28/2021, 12:55:32, alexunterwegs said:

Ok, clearly there won't be zero dealings with Europeans, but Brexit is obviously intended to drastically reduce or complicate contacts.

That is one of the major problems caused by the hard Brexit Mr Farage promoted. 

Mate, I don't think anyone is really interested in Farage's dealings apart from you and the Cult. Fair enough, for psychological issues, you and the others need a Bogeyman to help you make sense of the world.

That, I get, but as I say, no one cares, mate.

He should have received a Knighthood, though! 

13 hours ago, john_b said:

Tragic news indeed... 

Samantha Cameron business hit by post-Brexit 'teething issues'

Wife of former PM says her firm is being hampered by trading difficulties with EU countries

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/28/samantha-cameron-business-hit-by-post-brexit-teething-issues

12 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

She must of been born Blond

I wonder if Samantha Cameron was for or against Brexit?   Probably, against, I would say.  I would be very surprised if she were a closet Brexiteer! 

Funny, that you guys have now turned on remainers.

Is it because she is rich and successful, a Tory or a woman?  

On 1/17/2021, 1:25:44, cb6dba said:

Some people pull up their socks, work hard and try to  better heir situation, others try to pull people back, like crabs in a bucket. It's some serious self loathing that makes a person want others to do badly so they don't fell as bad about themselves.

Some people would be happy to be living in a pond of crap as long as they owned the only island. It's still a pond of crap, but they are dong better than anyone else in the pond.

It's a pretty stupid way to measure yourself but it tends to be all some people have got.

Yes, it must be that serious self-loathing rearing its ugly head again! 

:lol:

3 hours ago, Mackle said:

Thomas Tallis, SE London

Ah that explains it then, but you should be aware that School Milk is the white stuff in 1/3 pint bottles, not the brown stuff served in pint glasses.:D

10 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Ah that explains it then, but you should be aware that School Milk is the white stuff in 1/3 pint bottles, not the brown stuff served in pint glasses.:D

It's easy to tell, the brown stuff is served warm... :blink:

Just now, cb6dba said:

It's easy to tell, the brown stuff is served warm... :blink:

But so was the milk in summer!

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Were the item(s) supplied UK VAT free? If yes then what do you expect? If no you should be asking the seller why not?

The items were supplied by a not for profit model railway society I am a member of. The society is not VAT registered so cannot deduct any VAT, just like oscar's gifts from family. I didn't expect anything else by the way. I thought that was clear from my post to be honest as I was explaining to oscar that that's how it goes now. 

There are minimum turnover thresholds for VAT registration. Many small cottage industry sellers (especially on eBay) from whom I'd be buying from are not VAT registered and are not obliged to be.

I have another such parcel on the way from Scotland as we speak. Hopefully in the future such parcels will be intra-EU though and not subject to Brexittax.

When it comes to clothing however then not only are folks going to be charged VAT, they will face tariffs before VAT because the vast majority of clothing sold in the UK is made outside the UK. As retailing the clothing adds no value, these goods are subject to tariffs on import to the EU (rules of origin) and clothing typically faces high tariffs*. Johnson didn't read the fine print I guess (or any of it in all probability).

*thankfully for me, model railway articles are zero rated under the WTO so it's only VAT that may apply.

57 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The items were supplied by a not for profit model railway society I am a member of. The society is not VAT registered so cannot deduct any VAT, just like oscar's gifts from family. I didn't expect anything else by the way. I thought that was clear from my post to be honest as I was explaining to oscar that that's how it goes now. 

There are minimum turnover thresholds for VAT registration. Many small cottage industry sellers (especially on eBay) from whom I'd be buying from are not VAT registered and are not obliged to be.

In both cases they cannot deduct any VAT simply because they are not charging you any VAT!

There is no minimum threshold for VAT registration in the UK. A business is not required to register if turnover is under 85,00 per year but it can.

42 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

In both cases they cannot deduct any VAT simply because they are not charging you any VAT!

There is no minimum threshold for VAT registration in the UK. A business is not required to register if turnover is under 85,00 per year but it can.

Nowhere did I state what you have attributed to me here.

I mentioned a minimum threshold beyond which business must register for VAT. I never said they couldn't. I in fact wrote "not obliged to". Kind of shaking my head here.

So, back to your first point...They are charging me the VAT, even if it's not listed on the invoice! They buy item x from an engineering firm at price x + VAT. They pay VAT on that purchase and the items go into the society's stores. They sell the item on at no markup but it still includes the VAT portion paid to the engineering firm that actually made the item. To a UK based member of the society they pay x + VAT, same as what the society paid. I pay x + VAT + MwSt.

The society isn't buying these items VAT free. They cannot deduct the VAT but it is included in the price even if not listed separately!!

More winning:

https://today.rtl.lu/news/business-and-tech/a/1662737.html

Before Brexit few Irish customers ordered with Amazon.fr or .de. That's all changing now and in fact Amazon is building a local Irish distribution centre, whereas previously virtually everything came from GB.

I've seen it reported in the more clueless of the British newspapers that because the roads are "quiet" around Dover that Brexit is going well lol. In fact this quietness should be extremely worrying as it the absence of trade that it bears witness to. Brexit is so bad, that firms have simply given up trying in many cases. GB is too much hassle to trade with.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/irish-amazon-customers-to-bypass-brexit-barriers-as-it-plans-dublin-distribution-centre-1.4470470

22 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I mentioned a minimum threshold beyond which business must register for VAT

That is not what you said!

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

There are minimum turnover thresholds for VAT registration.

This is what you said! Implying, to me at least, that there was a minimum turnover required before VAT registration was possible.

30 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The society isn't buying these items VAT free. They cannot deduct the VAT but it is included in the price even if not listed separately!!

Yes but that would be exactly the same for someone in the UK buying something from a non-MwSt registered business in Germany.

You're hard work man. I guess I implied it in your head at least. 

Who gives a fuck if it's the same as somebody buying from a non-MwSt registered business in Germany? It's lose-lose for everyone as trade is suppressed thanks to the actions of the United Kingdom. And for fuck all benefit except the ability to wave some little flags or some shit. Consumers on both sides get to pay VAT twice now when dealing with small businesses.

In fact even some VAT registered businesses haven't got the foggiest idea what's going on. I spoke with a nice chap in Sheffield today. His small business is VAT registered but he never sold outside the EU before and has no clue about customs formalities. He told me he'd "see what he can do about the VAT". Nice chap, but totally unprepared for Brexit (unsurprisingly as his government gave him no time really).

More new ferry routes announced by Brittany Ferries from Rosslare to France (St. Malo and Roscoff). Brexiteers are thick as shit so they think this is a win (no bloody paddy lorries on our roads) but in fact it cuts the UK out of trans EU logistics chains, especially for the price sensitive grouped haulage sector (Irish truck on way to EU drops off a few pallets in Birmingham, picks up a few for delivery to Germany, picks up some in Germany for delivery to UK, drops off then picks up a few pallets in UK for delivery to Ireland). All gone. Freight costs to and from the UK have gone through the roof.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2021/01/27/brittany-ferries-announce-new-rosslare-routes/